WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Autism Awareness Bumper Magnets

Descent

Hella Constipated
Being autistic myself, I really like these. They make a much lesser known issue into a bigger one. I feel that if only we had some compassion from our peers, we wouldn't be treated like shit in society.

I wouldn't trade it for anything though. It's going to allow me to make millions someday. Just look at Bill Gates, John Carmack, Albert Einstein, etc., they were all people who have a little stoke of genius and contributed much to society (Bill Gates seems to be going the other way now, though).

People, stop making fun of nerds in school, because we will all own you someday!

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
When I was in High school, I got to cadet for a 2nd grade class. They had an autistic kid in there. He was really cool until someone would throw off his routine and then holy hell would break loose. It sucked though cause you know he could be this really cool kid if but for his explosiveness. My brother-in-law is a teacher and he is teaching the autistic kid now. He says he still has good days and bad days, but the bad days are getting farther and farther apart. :thumbsup: So where did/do you see these things at?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I was walking up my street from the bus, and I saw it. It was quite fitting, it had a puzzle piece pattern on it. That's something all of us are good at.

Yeah, I used to be like that too...I'm pretty normal now, my social skills just need work.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
What kinda pisses me off about mental illness is the fact that they have drugs that make your dick bigger, but no drugs, or anthing else for that matter, to cure mental illness. :thumbsdn: :mad:

Descent

Hella Constipated
They do. They are anti-psychotics and anti-depressants. Ironically, they can make you worse. Never get on Geodon or Zonegran, I was angry and paranoid as hell when I was on those.

The Zonegran was especially scary. It messed up the chemical balances in my brain so much that I was sexually attracted to men when I was on it. Now that I am off it, the sight of a glory hole being pounded just grosses me out to the nth degree. That whole experience made me even more tolerant of gays than I already was.

Drug companies seriously don't give a rat's ass about the "end-user." Look at Vioxx. It seriously fucked some people up, and they didn't recall it until six years after the incidents were reported. Paxil is pretty harsh shit too, Morelos became addicted to it at normal doses, and it screwed with the way he processed data.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Yeah, sorry bout my last post. I was trying to say that all the drugs on the market nowaday do is cure symptoms... not the damned disease or whatever is causing the problems in the first place... but that's a whole nother ball of wax.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
I thought autistic people had the mentality of little kids and couldn't really communicate? I know a girl whose brother is autistic and he can't speak phrases like you do.. I mean you seem totally normal from what I've read of you. Now I'm all confused..

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, when you think about it, it's pretty hard to fix autism. In fact, it would be impossible to fix it after birth.

http://www.cityofhope.org/cmdl/NLGN.asp

I am a strong believer in the hereditary theory...My second cousin most likely has it, but he is over it now. He is by far one of the nicest people I have ever met.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I think there are different degrees of autism... not sure though. I also had a mildly autistic kid in my grade throughout school. He was cool... just a little off... you know. Not to be mean.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have the Asperger level. Very, very low level. Only my social skills, coordination, and a few other things are affected. It also makes me good at puzzles and gives me incredible focus.

Autism is a wide spectrum and often comes attached to other things. My brother is heavily autistic and will never be able to look after himself. He's 22 and we only just got him to use the toilet correctly.
They are very focussed on their routine so your story doesn't surprise me brainwashmonkey- my brother gets very very upset if his routines are broken- if we drive him down a route he has been before and then turn off it to go somewhere he hasn't been he will get very disruptive (so we don't let my mum drive him anywhere alone).
My brother can't speak at all although it is very obvious that he is highly intelligent and can understand everything we say to him.
I thought autism was hereditary but my mum said that that was not what happened with my brother. She got sick during the pregnancy.
I also think the MMR jab theory is absolute BOLLOCKS, it's just upset parents trying to look anywhere other than themselves for blame.

I also take it you can't get these bumper magnets in the UK?

Oh and on the subject of drugs- Seroxat (I don't know what it's called in the US- it might well be Paxil but I'm not sure) is the most evil drug on the planet.

Just picture the scene- one honcho at the drug company turns to another and says "I know, we'll make an anti-depressant that is not only highly addictive but makes the depressed fuckwits who take it suicidal"

Cue lots of evil laughter... fuckers!

Takkun

Anonymooo.
I don't really know much about autisms myself, but I knew a kid who had one in elementary school. He was a nice kid, an awesome artist, and he could do square roots of twelve digit numbers in his head. This was in fourth grade.

Everyone loved him.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Wow...sounds like he's even smarter than Johnny Carmack himself.

my niece has autism...Aspergers level...She reads anything she can get her hands on..the girl memorizes everything. She can quote you things from commercials she saw a year ago. it's like her little brain just stores everything away. Once she was diagnosed she was put on Strattera and it's worked wonders for her. She's 12 now and has gone from failing in school and having no friends to being very popular in her grade and making A's and B's. She has her moments when common sense just isn't so common with her but she's doing better with it.

The doctors think her autism came from an extremely high fever she had at 3 weeks old. 105 degree fever that she had for almost 5 days.

My sister wants to know where she can get one of the bumper magnets. If you could give me a website or something so we can order some it'd be great.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I know this is a little off topic, but have any of you seen "Rain Man"?

Descent

Hella Constipated
my niece has autism...Aspergers level...She reads anything she can get her hands on..the girl memorizes everything. She can quote you things from commercials she saw a year ago. it's like her little brain just stores everything away. Once she was diagnosed she was put on Strattera and it's worked wonders for her. She's 12 now and has gone from failing in school and having no friends to being very popular in her grade and making A's and B's. She has her moments when common sense just isn't so common with her but she's doing better with it.

The doctors think her autism came from an extremely high fever she had at 3 weeks old. 105 degree fever that she had for almost 5 days.

My sister wants to know where she can get one of the bumper magnets. If you could give me a website or something so we can order some it'd be great.
HA! She sounds like a clone of me.

You could always try www.froogle.com for the bumper magnets.