WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines "Bad" Language

As everyone knows I am strongly opposed to censorship and I decided to watch the Penn and Teller:Bullshit! episode about the war on profanity the FCC is waging. A linguist said that profanity is nothing more than superstition because it is irrational to say that the word fuck makes everyone around uneasy just based on its sound.

Say dog slowly, now say fuck. When you say both slowly they sound somewhat similar, so why would dog not offend others if its the sound in fuck that offends people? If that were true than that word would have always have been considered "bad". Well, they weren't always considered bad so it must not be the sound that offends people!

What does offend people is the meaning of those words, not the sound. That must mean that the people who are against the use of profanity must be strictly against the message and it doesn't matter what words one uses to convey that message, right? Well, that's not how these idiots work, they're just against the words and think it'd be splendid if we all learned doublespeak and never used those "bad" words.

Or some would rather we speak in some sort of babble that babies use because the words tits, cunt, motherfucker, fuck, bitch, and shit are offensive to them. I'll be damned if some middle aged cunt will make me speak like a baby just because she doesn't like those words.

They'll also never stop those messages from being conveyed no matter what words they say we shouldn't or can't say, the words will just change and they'll continue to shorten the dictionary until the entire English language is considered profane and obscene.

If you're one of those middle aged cunts who want me to change the words I use when conveying a message to another I suggest you think about what a complete ass you are and to shut the hell up. You'll probably use the argument "I don't want my kid using those words," sorry sister but even if I do use different words the kid's still going to be saying the ones I used and will still be saying the same message.

So, calm down and stop worrying over profanity because there is no such thing, the same message will be used and that's all you should be worried about. If you don't want those messages being heard by your children then turn the channel or block them with the V-Chip, just don't deprive me of those words just because you don't like them.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
"Bad" words are only bad, if you take it personally, or offensively.

After all they are only words.
It's all how people percieve these "bad" words, sure they may have some meaning behind them, but it doesn't mean you have to take the meaning and use it against yourself.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i think we all speak differently, or at least make some concessions depending on the social situation. look at how you speak in a bar and how you speak at a job interview, both are 'you'..
i come from a working class english background, we do have a strong moral code but swearing doesn't break it. i came to middle class nashvile and found i swore too much so adjusted accordingly. i don't mind, i still say fuck but don't say cunt as much, most people here don't say cunt.. we say it in our own home but i guess i just don't want to seem 'ignorant' in company..
it hasn't changed me, and i am kind of outnumbered by the rest of society.. they have a saying here, 'i don't care how you did it up north..' and i keep that in mind with being a foreigner, i shouldn't expect my habits to be accepted.. when in rome..

I don't really find words offensive, because when they are said, it's not like someone dies. It's just a sound that comes out of ones mouth. Only of someone over uses it, like says fuck every other word, it gets on my nerves, but it doesn't offend me.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
the uncomfortable feeling from the word fuck isnt about its sound.. you dont get uneasy when I say duck or cluck or truck... and they all sound similar... your uncomfortable with the word because you have been trained to be. Most of us were even hit for saying it as a child. If I smacked my kid every time he said "house" he would act the same way every time he says is when he grows up.. its conditioning...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
The theory that the sound of a word makes people uneasy is just fucking stupid.

The phoenetic sound of fuck is actually found in other languages. Frech: phoque (pronounced the same as fuck) means seal. As in that cute mamal that eats fish and does all sorts of tricks at Sea World.

Somehow, when the French are talking about seals I doubt that they get all uneasy because of the sound of the word.

I too am amused by the people that put the importance on the word and not the message being sent. A coworker (actually all of my coworkers) hate swearing. They won't do it. So you hear them say things like "That's just freaking stupid." Or "Frick, this is hard." "You smell like crap." What the hell is the point of that?

The MESSAGE is the same. Fine, you won't say fuck because it's a swear word. Instead you'll say Frick. Because it means the same thing, it sounds very much the same but somehow it's ok?

Go frick yourself... that just sounds retarded.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
isn't frich/frick just german for fuck anyway..?

makes me laugh when i hear people say that too, if you're going to not swear say the sentence without a replacement adverb.. really, "that's cool" still gets the message across.. "that's fricking cool" makes you sound like a SNL comedian, not good..

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
it derives from Fricken... which is german for "to strike" or at least thats what the story goes..

This thread freaking rules.:thumbsup:

I was brought up in a stricly non-swearing household.

Not to an extent where we were hit whenever we swore, but just yelled at and told not to say that again.

Now, I'm the only person in this family who swears like a motherfucker, but I don't do it around them. Why? Because I respect the fact that it offends them, so I don't do it. :happysad:

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
meh, cussing in any form doesnt offend me, i just think it shows a lack of intelligence when used every other word, i curse, somewhat often, just not every other word.

When ppl tell me not to say that, i say well hell theres few enough words everyone can understand, i plan to use as many as possible, so that you moronic ppl may understand me.

they usually drop it.

besides who decided what words were particularly offensive?

vIoLeNcE0969

Sir.vIoLeNcE
i still get smacked every time i use a swear word. so i respect my parents and i dont swear around them.....but i still swear ALOT. cant help it

gummi_

Tenderony
"In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer."

- Mark Twain

^ Got that from the quotes section... but anyways.

Like alot of the people on this forum, i don't think swearing is such a bad thing. There are situations where it can be used to threaten or provoke people, and than can evoke negative reactions... but generally i use them for the humour factor, or because the phrase just *seems* better when used with them...

Dunno how good an example this is but hey :
"That's awesome!" vs "That is fucking awesome!"

I'd take the 2nd one personally... but yeah, thats my 2 cents.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Unforgiven said:
Now, I'm the only person in this family who swears like a motherfucker, but I don't do it around them. Why? Because I respect the fact that it offends them, so I don't do it. :happysad:
Ditto, I dont know why I cuss as much as I do, and I dont do it around my family. My grandma would whomp me.

So, FCC, You are saying that a commercial on tv for enzyte which is shown during daytime hours.....something say my kids would probably see

"Buy enzyte and make that small dick of yours bigger so you can fuck the shit out of your bitches cunt"

That would be ok for you? For your kids to watch and take to school?

Im sorry, but I already think regular cable tv has too much cussing and sex in it. Its just degrading society by using foul words to create a television shock factor.

Summer's Eve commercial in FCC's world:

"Bitch is that stank pussy of yours driving the cattle to stampeed? Buy summers eve now, and clean up that fucking twat."

I mean, this is ok with you guys? Meh, you want to see men on tv using cunt and twat to refer to women? Thats a precedence you would like to set for you children? Expecially daughters?

Whats wrong with you people?

PS::

You are telling me to go out and buy a v-chip because your sensitive ears can not watch a television show where there is no cussing. It is depriving you of your god given right to listen to stupid fucking shit. Thats lovely, but what if I do not have the money for one? Whjat makes you so fucking special that I should have to use my money to censor my television so that pricks can have thier fucks and their cunts? Seriously. Thats stupid.

Also, you are saying that there should be no censorship, at all. So when my kids watch cartoons, its allright if spongebob says "Hey patrick come here and let me stick my yellow spongey dick in that star shaped fat mother fucking ass of yours" Fuck you man, I dont want my kids hearing that shit. If you dont like it, dont fucking watch tv. Buy it on DVD asshole.

PPS: As I understand it, the word fuck started in the middle ages and was used to describe women and men who had sexual misconduct, i.e men who slept with boys, unmarried mothers, prostitutes, ect. Im pretty sure that word was an acronym for something else from that era.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i could read DG's modified TV ads all day.
really.. :thumbsup:

plus if they were actually broadcast then ads would be shorter..

old ad: blahdy blah blah.. 30 seconds

new ad: you fucking smell, your cock is small, BUY THIS!!! 5 seconds.

more please DG, i'm buying it..

consult your fucking doctor before reading DG's modified for maximum cunting swearing ads, side fucking effects include; getting whomped, nailed in the ass by grandma, shitted, fucked and cunted. also dry mouth. fuck off.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
void said:
i could read DG's modified TV ads all day.
really.. :thumbsup:

plus if they were actually broadcast then ads would be shorter..

old ad: blahdy blah blah.. 30 seconds

new ad: you fucking smell, your cock is small, BUY THIS!!! 5 seconds.

more please DG, i'm buying it..

consult your fucking doctor before reading DG's modified for maximum cunting swearing ads, side fucking effects include; getting whomped, nailed in the ass by grandma, shitted, fucked and cunted. also dry mouth. fuck off.

LOL I think you are misconstruing the issue. But you made me giggle. I should write for tv....

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
dustinzgirl said:
LOL I think you are misconstruing the issue. But you made me giggle. I should write for tv....
haha.. that's me mr misconstrue..

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Ok take the word "Fuck". My GF's Mom is a major bible thumping Born again Christian. I have on occasion heard her exclaim "Oh Fudge!". My response to her is "God knows what you mean."

The sound it's self is not the offensive part. It's what the word means to us as a culture. Many of the words we find "offensive" are not offensive in other countries. This being the case though; that it's the meaning of the word that is offensive, then why does the FCC not ban words such as, Starvation, War, Iraqi Liberation, George Bush's Ameri-nazi Régime?
It's a shame the kind of words people find offensive enough to not want to hear, while others that represent something far more offensive, slip right on by.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
MaxPower said:
Ok take the word "Fuck". My GF's Mom is a major bible thumping Born again Christian. I have on occasion heard her exclaim "Oh Fudge!". My response to her is "God knows what you mean."

The sound it's self is not the offensive part. It's what the word means to us as a culture. Many of the words we find "offensive" are not offensive in other countries. This being the case though; that it's the meaning of the word that is offensive, then why does the FCC not ban words such as, Starvation, War, Iraqi Liberation, George Bush's Ameri-nazi Régime?
It's a shame the kind of words people find offensive enough to not want to hear, while others that represent something far more offensive, slip right on by.
Max, you said George Bush (and now you made me say it). I find that combination of words to be extremely offensive. From now on, please censor yourself and call him either "Supreme Douchebag" or "Monkey Eared Dictator". Either one would be fine... and both are a far more accurate description.