WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Bad web design/ shitty developers/et al

Jung

???
Premium
Someone posted a thread a while back about the awesome idea of embedding midi in web pages, and I thought we could expand this to include other horrible things people do to web sites. This is sortof a rant from me, because I constantly get asked these questions by friends and on other forums.

Validate your shitty fucking mark up. Don't ask me why your crappy site won't render in X browser when your mark up isn't even valid. Jesus, it's 2005, the idea of web standards has been around for almost a decade, and it's just now catching on with the masses. Don't back track; learn to use standards, they DO matter.

Learn to write a fucking website, or just don't do it. Jesus. Putting an XHTML DTD on your crappy tag soup DOES NOT make it XHTML, dumbass. It's great that you want to use the new standard, but at least do it right.

Stop using tables for design. Tables are for displaying tabular data, using them for design always has been, and is even more so now, a dirty hack. Learn how to use divs. Divs are your friend. 423534 fucking tables loads horribly slow for anyone but broadband users, some of the crazier sites load slow even on broadband. Don't you understand that each table has to load separately?

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
One thing I cannot stand is when people use a photograph as a background and then place their content on top of it. Most of the time, the content cannot even be read, and one would have to highlight everything to even read it.

Expanding on your arguement, I don't think people want to learn how to utilize divs. They are not that hard to handle, and more flexible tables. Make the change.

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
Tables Vs DIVs

I must admit being guilty when it comes to using tables rather than DIVs for design/layout. I wanted to use DIVs but couldn't get my head around it initially so I went with what I knew. I'm currently revamping my site so I'll have to finally sort that shit out.

But yah, bad web development pisses me off. I came across this little beauty a while back. Would you let this guy design your site?

Case in point...

Jung

???
Premium
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<META http-equiv=EXPIRES content=0>
<META content=DOCUMENT name=RESOURCE-TYPE>
<META content=GLOBAL name=DISTRIBUTION>
<META content=MurphTheSurph name=AUTHOR>
<META content="Copyright (c) 2003 by murphthesurph.com" name=COPYRIGHT>
<META content="Web Design" name=DESCRIPTION>
<META content="INDEX, FOLLOW" name=ROBOTS>
<META content="1 DAYS" name=REVISIT-AFTER>
<META content=GENERAL name=RATING>
<meta name="keywords" content="Murph The Surph, Gulfislands, B.C., BC, Canada, Web Design, Web Development, SaturnaCAN, Saturna Island website, saturna island website">
:rofl: That site was probably written in 1998.

Anyway, here's a few more:

Learn to use a DTD and proper character encoding, at the very least. With out that, your site is not even a valid website.

What do you not understand about separation of content and design? Don't put your CSS in line, that defeats the purpose of using it. Put your CSS and javascript in separate files and use includes.

Also, mark up should be for displaying data/structure, CSS is for style. Stop using center and font tags.

Stop using javascript for things that can be done via CSS. Your crappy rollovers are slow and don't even preload. Learn what a:hover does and use it.

Stop with the fucking Flash already, it's not 2000 and Flash isn't cool anymore. If you really must use Flash, at least create an HTML/XHTML site for those of us who don't wish to use it. Flash shits all over standards, and completely defeats section 508 and search engine spidering. Your cute, pretty site design actually works against you.

So you've decided to use PHP, that's awesome, I love it. Learn to code with register globals off, and for god's sake, write decently secure web apps. Think when you're programming, use logic, and put that logic to work in your apps. And for fucks sake, comment your goddamn code. You'll never understand what did what three months from now if you don't.

Also, stop using add slashes/strip slashes, learn Pear or some other DB abstraction layer. Don't let your users suffer because of your shitty programming practices.

ActiveX / vB script. Stop it. Now. If I can't browse your site in the browser of my choice, you just lost a customer/member/user/etc. I'm not going to switch browsers just to browse your shitty site.

Make your content relevant. It's cute and nice that your site is visually appealing, but if I can't figure out what it's about within 5 minutes, you've failed as a web developer.

tzedek

Original Member
Go search around myspace for about...... 30 seconds. :mad: everybody gays up their pages on there.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
tzedek said:
Go search around myspace for about...... 30 seconds. :mad: everybody gays up their pages on there.
Scrolling down those MySpace pages is a bitch; they scroll so slow! :thumbsdn:

That's another thing.

Make sure scrolling is smooth. If not, I will not be coming back due to the annoyance factor. :thumbsdn:

Jung

???
Premium
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Make sure scrolling is smooth. If not, I will not be coming back due to the annoyance factor. :thumbsdn:
Indeed. I hate Myspace if for no other reason than that.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
Stop with the fucking Flash already, it's not 2000 and Flash isn't cool anymore. If you really must use Flash, at least create an HTML/XHTML site for those of us who don't wish to use it. Flash shits all over standards, and completely defeats section 508 and search engine spidering. Your cute, pretty site design actually works against you.
On top of that, it's hard to create a graphically appealing web site, such as Shiny Entertainment or The Ternion Project.

i hate when people overlap the slices on custom sites....goddamn it's annoying....

i dunno if that counts for anything though