Headlines Be all that you can be!

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
Bigger breasts offered as perk to U.S. soldiers

NEW YORK - The U.S. Army has long lured recruits with the slogan “Be All You Can Be,” but now soldiers and their families can receive plastic surgery, including breast enlargements, on the taxpayers’ dime.

The New Yorker magazine reports in its July 26th edition that members of all four branches of the U.S. military can get face-lifts, breast enlargements, liposuction and nose jobs for free -- something the military says helps surgeons practice their skills.

“Anyone wearing a uniform is eligible,” Dr. Bob Lyons, chief of plastic surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio told the magazine, which said soldiers needed the approval of their commanding officers to get the time off.

Between 2000 and 2003, military doctors performed 496 breast enlargements and 1,361 liposuction surgeries on soldiers and their dependents, the magazine said.

The magazine quoted an Army spokeswoman as saying, “the surgeons have to have someone to practice on.”

Tax payer dollar hard at work once again! LINK!

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Be more (or less) than god intended you to be!

I've decided. I'm going to find some hag, marry her, join the army, and then have her made to look exactly like Angelina Jolie. Exactly like her. And then, I will be the happiest man alive.

:thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Oh for fuck's sake. This was news nearly 10 months ago.

Let me explain how this works and why it's not a waste of tax payer dollars:

Military doctors report to TWO entities. They report to the military AND to the American Medical Association. In order to actually qualify as doctors that means that they must stay competent in their field of specialty. ALL ASPECTS of that field.

Plastic surgeons have to be able to do liposuction, tummy tucks, boob jobs and all of that to be certitied as plastic surgeons in the United States. If they aren't certified they don't have hospital privelages and thus they don't have jobs.

Think of it like this: How pissed would you be if you went to a plastic surgeon who'd received his/her training in the military and didn't know how to do a boob job? Tax dollars paid for his education and yet he can't do a core function of his job?

Or how about this: You take a kid to the emergency room and the doctor says "I'm sorry, I was in the military, I don't know how to treat children."

So why does the US military have plastic surgeons? Because civillians can't be ordered into war zones for one. Additionally, it's far more cost effective to pay a military doctor an officer's salary than it is pay a civillian's fees. One face reconstruction can be more money than a Captain makes in a year.

It's not unethical, immoral or a rip off of your tax dollars. It was however, very OLD news.

SouthWolf

I'll fuck you up!!!
Being in the military myself, I will have to defend us a lil. UberSkippy is right, our doctors need to stay up to speed in there field. Some may wonder, "Why does the military need plastic surgeons?" Well imagine you are in war and you get hit by a chemical bomb that removes skin from 40% of your body (something like napalm). Or you get caught in a burning vehicle and have basically the same situation. Or you are in a bunker that gets hit by a bomb and the callapse crushes your face in. Should our service members have to walk around looking like something circus left behind bc our citezens don't want to fork out the tax money to allow us to have plastic surgeons to correct these things. Sometimes the plastic surgery is a necessity to save the member. I think we deserve it and if want to spruce up our spouses hey we are already underpaid here. Give us something. I mean I make less than 17 grand a year. That is less than minimum wage.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
SouthWolf said:
Give us something. I mean I make less than 17 grand a year. That is less than minimum wage.
DONE! You got that. Now my friend I suggest looking for a full time job, and leave this fighting thing as a part time. No one can survive on 17 grand a year. :thumbsdn: :confused:

SouthWolf

I'll fuck you up!!!
ChilianFuckFace said:
DONE! You got that. Now my friend I suggest looking for a full time job, and leave this fighting thing as a part time. No one can survive on 17 grand a year. :thumbsdn: :confused:

Well unfortunately we don't have the free time to get another full time job. we are stuck with this one until the contract is up. At least we have awsome benefits that help out a lil bit to make the difference. But you're right it is hard to survive on my pay.