WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Benedict XVI will he be to conservative?

Benedict XVI will he be to conservative for today's world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

therightiswrong

The right is wrong
I really was hopeing for either a South American or African Pope.
The local churches in these area's tend to be more progressive.
But at 78 years old Benedict XVI wont have the same impact as John Paul II had.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
mmm..eggs benedict

This picture accurately represents my opinion on the subject.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
if he sticks to the church doctrine he will be considered too conservative by some...

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but can you imagine a Pope that isn't conservative? Really? Like he's gonna break out and declare that Gay is OK! Or he's gonna change the crucifix into Buddy Christ!

Same ole Same ole.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Actually this Pope was possibly the most conservative choice...
He is known as the "Gods Rottweiler" or "The Popes Enforcer".
He is openly against gay-marriages, and has stated rock music as "the vehicle of anti-religion".
He´s against any birth control, euthanasia, abortion and the ordination of women.

Those of you who don´t know e´s name "Benedict" comes from Latin it means "blessing" or smthn like that. It has been interpreted that the name is a "line-change", if he would to run the same issues as the late Pope, hed taken the name "John Paul 3"

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
It's not like we have any say in who is the Pope; so why the fuck are we worried if he is too conservative? :thumbsup:

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Because he has control over all teh catholics. Which are not few

He was a bad choice because he was in the Hitler youth program. He was drafted in WW2 as an anti-aircraft gunner. He deserted the Germans and was in an American POW camp for several months. We have no need for someone that was in the Hitler youth program running anything as big as the Catholic church. He is 78 anyway. He won't last long. I wonder how long until another crusade is started (besides the war in Iraq).

ferengi

Yay fire!
"therightiswrong will he ever learn the difference between 'too, to, and two?'" :rolleyes:

About the pope: I'm with Rage on this one.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
DanGeo23 said:
if he sticks to the church doctrine he will be considered too conservative by some...
He's the Pope. "Sticking to church doctrin" isn't his job. His job is to WRITE the church doctrine. Which, if he's too conservative, will be scarier than current church doctrine.

a pope can't be conservative...that's just not how things should be, the catholic church has power, and they need to not hold it back and let other people walk over them. This was a bad choice cardinals...bad choice...

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
The catholic church of today does not hold the same might and power that it used to. Decades have passed since it used to strike fear within the diocese. Now, with so many different Christian Denominations to choose from, and with world-wide religions breaking into the mainstream, the catholic church has just become one of many.

Yes, this pope will be too conservative - but the greater question is: "Is there anyone to really listen?"

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
RetArt said:
Because he has control over all teh catholics. Which are not few
He doesn't control shit. I'm officially a catholic and I use condoms and bad words.

chspaulwall

CHSTOYSOLDIER06
2 things

I Hate The FCC said:
He was a bad choice because he was in the Hitler youth program. He was drafted in WW2 as an anti-aircraft gunner. He deserted the Germans and was in an American POW camp for several months. We have no need for someone that was in the Hitler youth program running anything as big as the Catholic church. He is 78 anyway. He won't last long. I wonder how long until another crusade is started (besides the war in Iraq).
just to set an example of how the past never seems to matter, Ulysses S. Grant was a raging alcoholic. After a short tenure with the US army during the Mexican war, he left and didn't serve again until he was asked to fight for the Union during the Civil War. He was still an alcoholic and was often a brutal general during the Civil War, but no one could argue his ability as a military leader. Though his problems with alcohol continued after the Civil War was over, what did our forefathers do not long after? They elected him as the 18th president of the U.S.A. :rolleyes:
I could list a lot of other examples, but here's the point: We all hear the saying about "the past is the past, ppl can change" and its usually bs... but considering that the new Pope, who is 78, would've been in his early teens and 20's during WWII, and grew up in Nazi Germany, I'm sure that he's changed a lot over the past 50 years. So i dont see how that can be held against him.
Now, will he be the right man for the job? I'm not sure... but gay marriage, euthanasia, and abortion are things the religion of Christianity (not jus catholicism) have beliefs and morals against. If he's going to be the leader of one of the largest bodies of Christians in the world, should he be expected to question Christian standards and beliefs that are clearly outlined and stated? His job, granted, is to write the church doctrine... but it is NOT his job to change the teachings of the Word.

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
chspaulwall said:
If he's going to be the leader of one of the largest bodies of Christians in the world, should he be expected to question Christian standards and beliefs that are clearly outlined and stated? His job, granted, is to write the church doctrine... but it is NOT his job to change the teachings of the Word.
That is an interesting point. However, have we not seen previous popes do this? There was Vatican II under Pope John XXIII, which shook up all the rigid practices.

Then, Pope John Paul II said the Devil was not a meta-physical being, but simply a state of mind. That is a significant change to the teachings of the Word.

chspaulwall

CHSTOYSOLDIER06
rebuttal

chucktheskiffie said:
That is an interesting point. However, have we not seen previous popes do this? There was Vatican II under Pope John XXIII, which shook up all the rigid practices.

Then, Pope John Paul II said the Devil was not a meta-physical being, but simply a state of mind. That is a significant change to the teachings of the Word.
very true, but those two changes to the Word are not changes to clearly outlined doctrine that cannot be questioned. For example, a Pope could never say "murder isn't a sin if it has a purpose for God and His will"... because the Word clearly states even holding ill will toward someone is a sin, not just the act of murder...
now some can argue that these things arent clearly outlined in the Word, but i know with certainty that homosexuality and abortion are... i'd have to read to find, so if any1's interested or wants to challenge then jus send me a private message...
i'm not sure about euthanasia being outlined clearly, not totally sure... but the point i was trying to make was that the Pope cannot change clearly outlined doctrine in the Word... i apologize for not emphasizing this in my post... you are correct with your point *mucho props*

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
I don't think we're terribly worried about this Pope going and saying that murder no longer is a sin. The thing is, some people are a little worried that "God's Rottweiler" will write atypically strict doctrine. I.E. He will interpret the more "interpretable" passages in the strictest possible manner. He doesn't exactly have a laid-back track record.

chspaulwall

CHSTOYSOLDIER06
yea... like i said i'm not sure whether or not he's the right man to be the head of the Catholic church. Whether he is or isn't, not really anything that can be done now... short of an assassination, that is. :(
hopefully the cardinals have made a decision that won't hurt the church. christianity has enough problems with its image with people saying they're christians and not truly being/behaving christian.... and catholicism has enough problems restoring a tainted image with all the "sex" scandals with priests. this wouldn't be a good time to turn the pope into an overall despised figure. hopefully the cardinals knew what they were doing... only time will tell

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
RageAgainst said:
He doesn't control shit. I'm officially a catholic and I use condoms and bad words.
Well, yes. But there are also some catholics that arent hypocritical. Who really think that what the church says is the "ultimate truth" And the Pope is the Gods voice on earth. And if this voice is a not-as-good-as-should-be -kinda Pope. then there are problems..
He still has GREAT influence..