WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Best Buy will stop CD sales as digital music continues to take over

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
There's not much reason to shop for CDs when you download or stream all your music, and big-box stores are reacting to that decline. Billboard sources have learned that Best Buy has told suppliers that it will remove music CDs from its stores as of July 1st. The chain was only making $40 million per year from the plastic discs -- a drop in the bucket for a retailer this size. Vinyl aficionados will still find records on sale for the next 2 years, according to the insiders, although they may have to be sold next to the turntables themselves.

Target, meanwhile, appears on the cusp of backing out. It reportedly wants to switch from paying for all music CDs and DVDs it receives (and shipping back whatever it doesn't sell) to only paying for those discs that actually sell. Suppliers would have until April 1st or May 1st to make the switch, depending on the company. And they're not necessarily willing to cooperate -- at least one major music label is "leaning no," Billboard said, while two others have yet to make a call.

Source: Engadget

CoprophagousCop

lloɹʇ ʎllıs
I still buy CDs, mostly from thrift stores for a dollar or two. But if you think I am behind the times, I will tell you I am actually ahead of the game. CDs have higher quality sound reproduction than the lossy compressed formats such as MP3s. (You can hear the difference on good sound systems.) I know how inconvenient it is to carry around a bunch of CDs and constantly switch between them. Convenience was actually the biggest advantage CDs had over cassette tapes. Higher sound quality was secondary. I have a couple thousand or so CDs, however, I do not listen to them directly. Instead I have made exact copies of them onto a hard drive, saved as uncompressed wave files. Memory is so cheap and abundant these days. One Terabyte can store approximately 2,000 CDs worth of uncompressed music. Furthermore, I have written my own application for playing my music which uses a relational database backend. All I have to do is to select an artist from a list and then select a song from a list of songs associated with that artist and the song is added to my playlist. I love being my own DJ. :jig:

Jung

???
Premium
There's no appreciable difference between high bitrate MP3 and CD audio imo. I used to care about Flac, ape etc but mobile support is a killer. And I can't tell the difference on good headphones like the HD650s anyway.

Jung

???
Premium
CD sales are abysmal compared to streaming and digital downloads, and there is a ton of overhead involved with ordering, transporting and stocking physical mediums. I seriously do not know anyone that actually uses CDs anymore. Everyone has Spotify, Google Play, USB and harddrives in cars etc.

cd sales.PNG

CoprophagousCop

lloɹʇ ʎllıs
If Best Buy did not throw their CDs into an unorganized sales vat, they would probably sell more of them.
LOL. I was thinking of Walmart.

I seriously do not know anyone that actually uses CDs anymore. Everyone has Spotify, Google Play, USB and harddrives in cars etc.
As I mentioned above, I still use CDs (indirectly). I probably already own most of the music to which I will ever listen. You won't see me paying to listen to music I already own and I will never have to rely on an internet connection. Also, CDs were around before digital rights management was introduced, so I own a copy of the music forever.

If Best Buy did not throw their CDs into an unorganized sales vat, they would probably sell more of them.
I always avoided these at Walmart because they are disorganized, but once I found an old movie at the top of the bin I always wanted, but never bothered to look up and buy online. Go Walmart, I guess.

Everyone has Spotify, Google Play, USB and harddrives in cars etc.
I always play music from my phone in my car.