WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Best Friend's Life Seems To Have Been Destroyed by World of Warcraft...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, it finally hit me. My best friend is inaccessible outside of school now.

Here's the funny part: He's a hardcore gamer. He loves Volition, but won't try FreeSpace, even though I gave him a copy.

That's like being a Kubrick fan and not wanting to see Full Metal Jacket.

I wanted to send him an .AVI file today that I told him about in school. He cracked up.

I get home. I send him the file. He cancels.

He says:

"I don't care."

I sent it to other people, including Tzedek, and he was in a state of pure ROFL. He was absolutely floored.

In school, we're having a blast, and we connect.

Outside, it's different.

I'm this close to not talking to him until he stops playing WoW and gets a real life.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Hate to tell you this but WoW may have claimed him forever.

I watched two close friends get a divorce. He has zero interest in seeing his own kid. When the kid was born, J. was VERY much into him... the apple of his eye and all that.

Then J. found Ever Crack. Now all he does is work and play that damn game.

Video games can be just as addictive as meth for some people.

Lost86

i give up!11 /wrists
No kidding. For a while in my "relationship" with my boyfriend, we had huge arguments everyday. Why? Because I worked all day and all he did was play f'n Starcraft... from the time I left to the time I returned and into the early morning hours. :mfinger:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Computers are fucking evil!

Then again, I'm going to hell so I'm pretty much ok with evil.

Descent

Hella Constipated
No...

It's not that he plays it all day, it's just that he...became a different person after he started playing it.

I walked into school and I said, in the locker room, "DUDE! I stayed up all night and beat FreeSpace 2! Best game of all time, you gotta play it! The plot was so moving, I cried over three times!

Speaking of that, did you try out the Win32 port of Descent I gave you?"

"No, I didn't play Descent."

"Dude, what the fuck?! You've said you wanted to play Descent for ages! You grew up playing DOS games like me! You were literally owning people in Duke 3D online when you were seven!"

"No, I'm playing WoW now."

"What about FreeSpace 2? You've always been open to trying new games! What gives?"

"I'm just into WoW, that's all."

"God damn it, half the people who made Descent made FreeSpace. You've heard of Volition, right?"

"Wait, didn't they make Red Faction? That was like the most amazing FPS ever!"

"Yes. The have that, FreeSpace, Summoner, and The Punisher under their belt."

"Eh, I don't really care about FreeSpace."

"Ugh. I'll give you a copy. It's their best work; it set the bar for sim games back in 1999, and nobody has matched it yet! You love RTS games, and FreeSpace 2 revolves around RTS, except it's first-person combat! It's like a mix of all the genres ever created besides third person action..."

"Alright, I'll give it a try."

I walk in the next day. Three burned CD's with virgin jewel cases sat in my backpack. I threw in a fourth CD with standalone cutscenes.

Yes, I was following FreeSpace 2's license agreement. They say you can give as many copies as you want to close contacts. It was a last ditch effort to salvage their work, because Interplay's advertising killed their game. They just wanted people to experience it.

The look on his face one was of laughter. He was about to break out laughing, because I was giving him a copy of a game I knew he would love, something that he knew never proved wrong. It was something we always shared in common, until this moment.

It was then I realized, "This isn't Adam. He's changed. He knows nothing...He has become closed minded."

I feel like I'm dying...Every kind of entertainment media I give to him he ignores.

He seems to have forgotten that I gave him the JoNoF Win32 port of Duke 3D. He praised me for weeks.

I sent him other pieces of software. All lost art; he loved every one.

I sent him some of the best flash animations, movies, and sounds he's ever heard.

Now, it's as if he's forgotten.

I do send it to Kaoticsyco, I'll keep it warm.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
WOW is evil. it is a route to all that is satan. Seriously. I know this guy at work that was pretty good at his job, but then he became obsessed with WOW. He literally missed two months of work, playing WOW all day. Insanity. Sheer insanity. He tried getting LOA short term disability citing work related stress. What a fruitcake.

Noob

Banned - What an Asshat!
My friend was addicted to this shitty game called runescape, which is even sadder.

Noob

Banned - What an Asshat!
dull_bullet said:
Hammer + computer = how to get a life
Or Get hammered+Drunk drive+Get arrested+Check into rehab+Blame it on computer+Get it took away=How to get a life and some new friends.

But your way is cheaper :thumbsup:

On the positive side of this...

Volition is one damn good company. Go Red Faction! :mfinger:

keebs

Particinator
dustinzgirl said:
WOW is evil. it is a route to all that is satan. Seriously. I know this guy at work that was pretty good at his job, but then he became obsessed with WOW. He literally missed two months of work, playing WOW all day. Insanity. Sheer insanity. He tried getting LOA short term disability citing work related stress. What a fruitcake.

thats so damn sad, ill assume this guy lives with his mother in the basment and has no chance of ever getting in a relathionship. hes the 40 year old vergin type.

Wow, I know a WoW addict too

Yah, my neighbors are into video games HARD CORE. I mean, it's wicked bad over there. Don't get me wrong, they're wicked cool, but the one dude who lives there, plays Halo 2 RELENTLESSLY. Granted its a very cool game and he actually persuaded me to get xbox live, etc...but then there's his buddy. God hes up to level 60 on WoW (Which I hear is the highest) but he sits there, LITERALLY, All day and night. He says "I gotta play all day, I'm the guild leader, people need things from me, I have to be there for my guild" but its like, Dude, you have no job or car, and you're getting close to 40. How about being there for yourself, and doing the right thing.

prog

Fresh Meat
Descent said:
Well, it finally hit me. My best friend is inaccessible outside of school now.

Here's the funny part: He's a hardcore gamer. He loves Volition, but won't try FreeSpace, even though I gave him a copy.

That's like being a Kubrick fan and not wanting to see Full Metal Jacket.

I wanted to send him an .AVI file today that I told him about in school. He cracked up.

I get home. I send him the file. He cancels.

He says:

"I don't care."

I sent it to other people, including Tzedek, and he was in a state of pure ROFL. He was absolutely floored.

In school, we're having a blast, and we connect.

Outside, it's different.

I'm this close to not talking to him until he stops playing WoW and gets a real life.
What level is he??

prog said:
What level is he??
ok i think you're missing the point here...

this thread is AGAINST all those gamers who waste their lives away...

think before you post and you will survive :thumbsup:

Noob

Banned - What an Asshat!
dull_bullet said:
ok i think you're missing the point here...

this thread is AGAINST all those gamers who waste their lives away...

think before you post and you will survive :thumbsup:
I found it funny he asked though. :thumbsup: