WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Bill Gates photo shoot, circa 1983

Jung

???
Premium
Apparently these pictures are from a 1983 issue of Teen Beat magazine?

...a true WTF moment. :rotflmao:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's a Mac in the background. :D

tzedek

Original Member
i think that the image quality is too good for 1983 in those pics

creep

skandalous allstar
tzedek said:
...but then you look at the computers in the picture.

And yeah... its pretty scary.

Jung

???
Premium
tzedek said:
I posted these from a thread on another forum, people have been disputing that all morning. The Apple IIe in the background supposedly wasn't released until 84, and in the following picture he's holding a Windows 1.0 disc, which wasn't released until 85. So who knows... but it was definitely around that time. I don't find the image quality too high for the time though, it seems fitting.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
hes kinda a freaky looking geek isnt he... But hey without him god knows what id be doing right now... lol you cant take my computer!

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
thats not a apple in the background...its either a old IBM computer or one of the few computers that xerox made before they sold the right of the mouse to either apple or microsoft i can't remember which one

Jung

???
Premium
Hypertron said:
thats not a apple in the background...
Sure it is, you're just looking at the wrong computer...

Descent

Hella Constipated
So what's wrong with there being a Mac there? You owe the inspiration to ALL MODERN GUI's from that platform. I still think that GNOME, KDE, and Win95 and up have the best GUI's around. I find OS X's to be pretty damn counterproductive. I have to use these things at school ALL the time...I get MUCH more done in my programming class, where we use crappy 2.8GHz Dells with INTEL EXTREME GRAPHICS!

Damn, I wish my school would load Quake onto those :).

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
You owe the inspiration to ALL MODERN GUI's from that platform.
Wrong, we owe Xerox.

It's not really that odd to see a Mac in the background though, considering that they were licensing them at the time. It's just a bit ironic.

Descent

Hella Constipated
JNG said:
Wrong, we owe Xerox.
Actually, I give the Mac credit because it designed the clicking structure that we see today. With Xerox, you had to perform something like two clicks to open the menu, then drag down, then another two clicks to select. When I mean MODERN GUI, I mean one that is streamlined and quick. I know Xerox invented it, but Apple perfected it to the point where it was copied numerous times.

ChilianFuckFace said:
Yes I dream... I dream of a forum free of johnnyk... because he is too busy blowing bill gates.. :D
yeah, you truly enjoy your dreams about me blowing bill gates :thumbsup: its okay little buddy :thumbsup: many gaygeeks dream about me and Bill

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Damnit fuckers, can't you keep your attacks to inside B&T!?!?!?