WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Bizarre Video Card Overheating Issue

Descent

Hella Constipated
I've come across some weird shit in my life, but nothing like this.

Last year, my 9700 Pro's fan went out. I promptly ordered some new cooling - a Vantec IceBerq 4 VGA chipset cooler, and a set of Zalman RAMsinks.

The Vantec came with four RAMsinks - I put those on bottom. The top ram chips got the large Zalman ramsinks, and the MOSFET heat spreader get the smaller Zalman RAMsinks secured on it.

Lately, my games have been skipping. For some bizzarre reason, the card will seize up in certain games, such as Chronicles of Riddick.

I touched my IceBerq after the lockup. Not good. Not good AT ALL.

The thing is very hot - almost first degree burn hot. I've never had this issue before. I put on AS5, and it's still bad.

This is perplexing the shit out of me. The thing is free of dust, what gives?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I know you won't want to hear this, but...

I would opt for an Arctic Cooling Silencer from Newegg. It only costs $30 and has done wonders for keeping my 9800 Pro cool while gaming. They are designed for specific applications and the one for mine, replaced the stock fan and heat sink with a bigger heatsink, and the fan vents directly out the back of the case instead of letting the air float around inside.

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
ive got a super fan controller and alarm thing on the front of my cpu, takes two panels, its useless completely. find a good one. use it. make sure it reads correctly.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I don't understand what a fan controller has to do with a video card overheating...

Jung

???
Premium
Zickddot said:
ive got a super fan controller and alarm thing on the front of my cpu, takes two panels, its useless completely. find a good one. use it. make sure it reads correctly.
CPU != GPU.

jamesp

In Memory...
i've run into a problem like this before, try installing more case fans and stuff, as many as will fit in your computer. What exactly happens?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I dusted it out again, it seems to be running cooler now, and the fan is moving faster. I'll test out the thing in 3D mode later.

Pidgeon182

Bird of the Week
it may be possible that your system may be running hot. That would also heat up the gpu because it is being cooled with hot air..which is an oxymoron, I know. I have had this shit happen to me before. I would just check the air flow in your case to see if it is clear of any obstacles..and hell, if you have the money get it water-cooled.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Read my other thread. I was sold bootleg XP's.

P.S.: HELLS YEAH! You can back, Pidgeon!

Could it be the power supply give insufficiently electricity?
I used to have like 300Watts on my computer that has GF FX5900 and the computer
shut itself down everytime I play some heavy duty 3d game like the newest medal of honor.

jamesp

In Memory...
truth be told, when worknig with computers there are usually one hundred possible problems and the solution is the last one you try.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
jamesp said:
truth be told, when worknig with computers there are usually one hundred possible problems and the solution is the last one you try.
Of course it's the last one... why would you keep looking for solutions when you have found one that works?