WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

book or tv...

book or tv before bed for kid?

• Book

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • TV

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
ok so lately my son has requested to watch one last tv show over having us read a book to him before bed... normally he likes his book before bed but for the past few days he wants to watch a last final show before bed... like fosters home for imaginary friends... which do you find better?

Book. It's just a tradition to read in bed...can't people go five minutes without laying eyes on a TV screen anymore?

Considering that I often try to avoid the television as a whole, I would say book.

I like to read my Onion books before I go to sleep sometimes.

Shadow_Demon

Lord of Shadows
DOnt watch TV much any more but I do read alot. Mostly from the net now but still a good book beats the TV anyday.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
Darklight said:
ok so lately my son has requested to watch one last tv show over having us read a book to him before bed... normally he likes his book before bed but for the past few days he wants to watch a last final show before bed... like fosters home for imaginary friends... which do you find better?
My kid loves that show, and I've laughed at it myself! It keeps him outta my hair so I let him! Mostly I make him read to me early in the evening so he can watch tv or plat nintendo b-fore bed!

Reading him books and limiting his t.v. while he's young will (in theory) instill a love for reading at a young age. A love for reading makes for a more intelligent person. I've been reading since I was old enough to, and I love it! A book 1000 pages or more I can read in a day (if free of interruptions which is rare), and isn't enough to satisfy my love for reading. Reading also gave me a large imagination, which is also beneficial to children at a young age.

Bitch

Evil Fluffy says: I PEE IN YOUR SHOES!
Premium
Although I do watch a lot of tv I don't believe children at that age should get in to that bad habit.

I choose book. That time of night with that type of activity is a great bonding experience and helps your kid learn to have imagination and also to follow along and eventually read to you or with you. You can't do that with tv.

jamesp

In Memory...
I dont really watch TV anymore with the exception of Adult Swim and The Daily Show....maybe some Law & Order. I prefer to snuggle up to a nice book...normally some Robert Jordan right before bed.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
Book. David Eddings :Bow:

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Book, I believe, that it's such a waste if a child doesn't experience the great writings of a book, really. Some of my friends. (who are 16 +17) last read a book when they were 8 because they HAD to.
I love reading, and I do trust like tiger said, and agree with her 100% that it makes a more intelligent person.
What's better than a really great book you get into?
With a book you can expand your horizons.. experience different fantasy worlds, and when hes older enough, show him some of the old classic, mark twain, shakespeare, etc. and writing and scriptures have been around for decades. :thumbsup:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
doesn't matter as long as you call the shots, and as long as he is reading at some time during the day.. a previous post said they let their kid read earlier in the day, seems a good idea as the kid would be less tired..

i used to try that 'one more show' shit, my old man would say ok and let me start watching a one hour show, then halfway through he would say 'bed' (i never dared argue, he was like a scary dad).. well that was a waste of my time, so i soon stopped asking..