WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Movies books...to...movies

Has anyone in here like read a book then saw the movie?? what do you think is better... List the name of it... and which was better... if you want to get more in depth of it... PM me... or email and we can discuss it... :thumbsup:

Paul

Tenderony
in my experience the book is always better than the remake hollywood trash

for instance, queen of the damned.... great book...... movie was loosely based upon it.... and was about 15% accurate

another example... jurassic park the lost world........ again, loosely based on the book

to be honest i cant think of a single book to movie that i've read that didnt suck horribly

edit: except lotr.... i read some of those, books sucked, movies rocked

while usually the book is better than the movie, i'd have to believe that jurassic park was better to watch than read. but 90% of the time the book is better. but there were some great books that made cool movies also.

Fight Club the movie is pretty closely based on the book but the book is much better. Generally a book goes more in depth and can show more detail than a movie that has to be contained into a maximum of around three hours, so the movies' stories change or become abridged versions of their book.

Has anyone in here seen... Pet Semetary?? or any of the books from Stephan King?? Like all his books are made to movies... I think all the movies are horrible... teh books are so much better.... they include so much detail that the movie left out...

Halfpintrocker said:
Has anyone in here seen... Pet Semetary?? or any of the books from Stephan King?? Like all his books are made to movies... I think all the movies are horrible... teh books are so much better.... they include so much detail that the movie left out...

no way. i disagree. while i agree that the books were better, i definitely don't think all the movies sucked. here are some i thought were pretty good....

misery
the shining (with nicholson)
it
stand by me
pet sematary (i thought this one was ok)
shawshank redemption
running man
carrie

I got o say Carrie was pretty good... yet pet Semetary was nothing at all like the book... I mean... Juds wife wasnt even in the movie... yet she was in almost all the book... till she dies i mean... but she was in the book adn not the movie... I didnt read the book Carrie tho so i cant compare ... it was a good movie tho... i am about to read Cujo... anyone read it or seen the movie??oh and IT was good... yet again I have not read the book...

Halfpintrocker said:
I got o say Carrie was pretty good... yet pet Semetary was nothing at all like the book... I mean... Juds wife wasnt even in the movie... yet she was in almost all the book... till she dies i mean... but she was in the book adn not the movie... I didnt read the book Carrie tho so i cant compare ... it was a good movie tho... i am about to read Cujo... anyone read it or seen the movie??oh and IT was good... yet again I have not read the book...
i never read cujo, but the movie was ok. i know i've heard the book was alot better. you must have seen stand by me, if not see it, its a good movie. also misery, kathy bates even won an oscar for that one.

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
I've never heard of a situation where someone actually liked the movie more than the book. They are different mediums and certain things have to be lost in the transition. This on it's own is fine by me though. What annoys me is when film makers take a story and completely bastardize it to the point that it has almost no resemblance to the original work, and then still stick the original title on there purely for name-recognition. For example, this new I,Robot shit that's coming out isn't even based on I,Robot. The story is taken from another Asimov book Cages of Steel, and only loosely at that (basically my friend who has read the book says that it only appears to have the characters' names). It's basically shitting all over one good book, and then wiping their asses with the title of the other.

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
I don't read many books, and I don't watch many movies, so I can say neither are better. :thumbsup:

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
where the red fern grows (the book)
Harry potter (book's were more detailed)