WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Books

diamond

The nice guy
I considered putting this thread in the entertainment section, so If anyone feels it belongs there, I certainly won't whine about it.

People seem to be reading less and less. Childrens stories have become incredibly sanitised, whereas adult reading has deteriorated.

What book have you read lately that you would recommend to others to read? and why?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
diamond said:
I considered putting this thread in the entertainment section, so If anyone feels it belongs there, I certainly won't whine about it.

People seem to be reading less and less. Childrens stories have become incredibly sanitised, whereas adult reading has deteriorated.

What book have you read lately that you would recommend to others to read? and why?
does tv guide count? lol

just kidding. most recently i've read chainfire which is the 10th and final book in the sword of truth series by terry goodkind. i wouldn't recomend it unless you have already read the first 9, but iw ould recomend reading it since it is a well written book series and very entertaining :thumbsup:

diamond

The nice guy
What genre is he? Is he a science fiction author?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
diamond said:
What genre is he? Is he a science fiction author?
the books are fantasy, but from what i gather he doesn't want to be defined solely as a fantasy writer

Slacker

Postaholic
The last book I read was Shoot Don't Shoot. It was by J. A. Jance, It is allright. I would recemend it to people who like Mystery books...

diamond

The nice guy
My apologies. I think I was thinking of Terry Brookes.

What appeals to you about him enough to read his stuff so avidly?

Dull Bullet - I have never got on with Asimov at all. What is it you like about it?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
it is written well and it is somewhat different from your normal good guys kill bad guys fantasy book. it takes until book 3 (i think) for the big plot to develop where he is pitted against the order which is a large tyrant ruled empire that wants to take over the world. however, instead of fighting to destroy the order he is fighting for individual freedom. the order gains its followers by instilling a sense of purpose and by telling everyone that self sacrifice for the greater good is the only way to salvation since humanity is naturally evil at its core. because of this it makes anyone who doesn't do its teachings outcast as evil and bad and anyone that does is basically forced to serve under the order. not that their aren't the standard good vs. bad conflicts, the order is evil, and richard is good, but there is more too it and there are shades of grey which make it interesting.

at one point richard needs information from a woman, but she is somewhat unwilling to give it to him. is it right for him to demand it when it is her life and thus her decision to give it out, even though that information may help him stop the order?

in addition i just feel that they are well written. the vocabulary isn't rediculous, but it isn't 8th grade either and you can really just fall in love with the characters and with i've loved the way that all the books have ended. i won't say any more in case you decide to read them

diamond

The nice guy
You have the whole moral dilemas there as well as individual vs State. Not having read any of his work, I immediately think that those who enjoy Orwells 1984 and Huxley's Brave new world would enjoy this.

I just read 'The Time Travellers Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger and, although it took me some time to get into it, I became caught up with the idea that 'time travel' was a disease and was not something of benefit. It reminded me of fairy tales the way they were written......Little Red riding hood was eaten by the wolf etc. Today I feel very strongly that the original message (look at Hans Christian Andersons Little mermaid as opposed to Disneys)is always lost to make the happy ending or the gory spectacle. It is interesting that people like Stephen King are writing with more respect to the human and a deeper realisation that your horror is inside you.

it's the way he can make the future seem like modern day, if you follow. all the details make it very believable

diamond

The nice guy
dull_bullet said:
it's the way he can make the future seem like modern day, if you follow. all the details make it very believable
In a good or a scary way?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
yes man - danny wallace. true story about a british man who decides he won't say no for a whole year.. very funny.. see also 'join me' by same author and 'are you dave gorman?' by same author and dave gorman, dave gorman also wrote the wonderful 'googlewhack adventure'.. you HAVE to read that one..

a couple of lance armstrong/tour de france books.. they're good but an aquired taste so i can't recommend them.

demon haunted world - carl sagan.. another good sagan book, this time about why religion is bullshit, amongst other things.

six feet under, better living through death - HBO.. the book of the series, adds background..

and then books i haven't read recently but are very good.

what's wrong with america? - jonathan neale.. not only a critique but a good cautionary tale.
fast food nation - eric schlosser.. attack on fast food.
off the rails in phnom penh, guns girls and ganja - amit gilboa.. ex-pat tales from cambodia.
notes on the making of apocalypse now - eleanor coppola.. diary from francis ford coppola's wife.. amazing stuff..
god of small things - arundhati roy.. hypnotising story from india.
skinny legs/woodpecker/fierce invalids/frog pyjamas/villa incognito - tom robbins.. stoner lit..
dirt - motley crue.. THE book about life in the music industry..
teachings of the buddha - kornfield.. a little buddha never hurt anyone..
food court druids, cherohonkees and other creatures unique to the republic - robert lanham.. a jokey social anthropology of the new 'tribes' amongst us.. very recommended.. read in a bookstore..
full tilt - dervla murphy.. best book ever, recently got this again.. true story of an irish woman who travelled by bicycle from home to india in 1963.. across europe, iran, pakistan, afghanistan.. very cool woman, great book if you like travelling..
lots of others but i forget things..

diamond

The nice guy
You are a massive reader. Why do you like that genre? I mean at a particular time? are you a traveller or do you aslpire?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
diamond said:
You are a massive reader. Why do you like that genre? I mean at a particular time?
me?

if so i like books/genre of book that i can either understand and relate to, or learn from..
the travel books, the books about abroad, the books about cycling etc are all subjects i can relate to, they are very easy for me to follow and just make me feel good..
the books about society, or science.. they fulfill my need to learn..
i also have a lot of art books, i flick through them when i want to remember that people aren't all bad..

EDIT: yes i travelled extensively before i settled in usa.. i lived in 5 countries, visited 35+..
a lot of travellers read too much..

diamond

The nice guy
People who desire to travel, or do travel tend to have an open attitude to a lot of things.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
The Belgariad and The Mallorean series (14 books I think) by David Edding. One of those stories you cant face leaving until the morning. Great read. Fantasy.

Watchers - Dean R Koontz. got me hooked with in 10 pages of reading. Creepy in every sense of the word. Another book that's hard to put down. Thriller. Read it!

Deathstalker series (4 or 5 books)- can't remember the author. Bit of fun and addictive, just great- shame about the ending . Science-fiction.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Stranger things happen, Short stories - Very wierd, I can't remember the author at this time, as i gave the book away to someone, and Im about to go to bed - Good read for short stories to pick up on now and then.

Haunted - Chuck - Again short stories, but this time with a twist, there is also a story that goes through the whole book - about a bunch of writers that go find themselves in a old theatre.

The incident with the dog at night time - Very good book, on a outlook of an austic child, with also a story along side it.

You can look up these, Iwould find the authors, but Im way too tired.

if you like books that are about suspence, killer, and is a bit erotic then i would suggest ROMEO by elise tittle.

if you like books about a weird epedemic i would suggest THE TAINT by Patricia Wallace

if you love stephen king books i would suggest BAG OF BONES, THE LONG WALK , ROSE MADDER

these are all really good books that i really suggest reading :thumbsup:

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
I read a lot of magazines and what not...

diamond

The nice guy
For a short story where the good guy's don't win and the evil, manipulative woman gets away with it try AM Barnard (actually Louisa May Alcot) Behind a Mask

Being the kind soul I am you can even download it here free of charge.