WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Boston Dynamics Atlas Robot Demo

DejectedReject

Unintended Consequence
Prepare to bow down to your future robot overlords! If you experience Automatonophobia, do not watch the video. I love robotics, and still found some of it a little unsettling.

Source: http://www.cnet.com/au/news/how-googles-impressive-new-robot-demo-will-fuel-our-nightmares/

Some excerpts from the article, with video embedded below for your convenience:

"Google-owned Boston Dynamics on Tuesday released a video of its next-generation Atlas humanoid robot that's more than just a demonstration of a remarkably resilient, agile and adaptable robot. It's also a perfect bit of propaganda for a future robot uprising that's suddenly feeling a little more imminent."
"In the video, the robot opens doors, keeps its balance while breaking through a crust of deep snow and puts 10-pound (4.5 kilogram) boxes on shelves. This is all fine and good, but 90 seconds into the video, the robot's human makers start abusing it with a hockey stick and shoving it in the back so it falls flat on its face."
"Maybe I've just watched a little too much sci-fi (I definitely have), but if there ever is a robot rebellion, surely this video will be used to indict the human race by demonstrating how we acted like jerks toward the artificial underclass from the very beginning."
"I'm totally going to have nightmares about the crazy ninja move the Atlas does to push itself back upright after being shoved on its face."

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
This is quite scary too, they've started adding human elements in robots.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
That robot in the first video is going to revenge rape that guy with the hockey stick when it becomes self aware.

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
That robot being bullied is the great grandfather of Agent Smith.

Fÿn

Always black
Give it... 10? 15 years?
We humans have a PhD in self-destruction

But I must say, if there is one thing I like about humanity is its creation capabilites, that's the one big thing we're amazing at.

3Dradio

Did I ever have another avatar?
I'll be practicing the "dum dum dum dum dum" from the Terminator series.