Headlines Boston Dynamics Atlas Robot Demo

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
Remember the first edition of these? The petrol powered Big Dogs roaming through the snow like a menacing death machine? Then the guys were video taped kicking the humanoid ones? People were freaked the fuck out. Then Musk comes out and says you could be in a room and one could come in the room kill you and exit and all you would see is something akin to a strobe light. Yes...they WILL move that fast. Just in the past 5 years I've personally witnessed our industrial robots quadruple in speed and this is industry. We are nowhere near 'the cutting edge'.. Now they make sure they release video of them dancing. Keep people calm. Keep moms saying "oh...isn't that just darling". They are already faster than humans. Their armor is stronger than humans. With their vision systems they are already positionally aware and their reactions are faster than humans. Mechanically, they've already surpassed us. Just wait until they 'think'. Crazy shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
Premium
Remember the first edition of these? The petrol powered Big Dogs roaming through the snow like a menacing death machine? Then the guys were video taped kicking the humanoid ones? People were freaked the fuck out. Then Musk comes out and says you could be in a room and one could come in the room kill you and exit and all you would see is something akin to a strobe light. Yes...they WILL move that fast. Just in the past 5 years I've personally witnessed our industrial robots quadruple in speed and this is industry. We are nowhere near 'the cutting edge'.. Now they make sure they release video of them dancing. Keep people calm. Keep moms saying "oh...isn't that just darling". They are already faster than humans. Their armor is stronger than humans. With their vision systems they are already positionally aware and their reactions are faster than humans. Mechanically, they've already surpassed us. Just wait until they 'think'. Crazy shit.
I doubt these machines will be programmed to think for themselves. Businesses want to keep them safe, and doing manual labor that is cheaper and more efficient than hiring regular people.

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
I doubt these machines will be programmed to think for themselves. Businesses want to keep them safe, and doing manual labor that is cheaper and more efficient than hiring regular people.
Yes. Of course. Nobody is trying to program them to think for themselves. That would be silly. Well, except for all the geniuses working in A.I. and the billionaires financing them. Oh, and the physicists of course. And all those universities. Lets not forget every military. You're always going to have your garage and basement nerds who are actually insanely smart doing it too but never mind all that. Nobody is working on such nonsense.

• 1Agree
  • 1LOL
Reactions: 1 users

Out2Lunch

☠️
Businesses want to keep them safe, and doing manual labor that is cheaper and more efficient than hiring regular people.
So what you're saying is some day, in the near future, I will be able to find them outside Home Depot waiting for work?

• 1LOL
Reactions: 1 user