WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Boys arrested for stick figure drawings

Insanitee

I know where you live!
:bonk:
OCALA, Florida (AP) -- Two boys were arrested for making pencil-and-crayon stick figure drawings depicting a 10-year-old classmate being stabbed and hung, police said. The children, charged with a felony, were taken from school in handcuffs.

The 9- and 10-year-old boys were arrested Monday and charged with making a written threat to kill or harm another person. They were also suspended from school.

One drawing showed the two boys standing on either side of the other boy and "holding knives pointed through" his body, according to a police report. The figures were identified by written names or initials.

Another drawing showed a stick figure hanging, tears falling from his eyes, with two other stick figures standing below him. Other pieces of scrap paper listed misspelled profanities and the initials of the boy who was allegedly threatened.

The boys' parents said they thought the children should be punished by the school and families, not the legal system...

Question: Do police go way to far no mater what the situation?

Slacker

Postaholic
yes they do some kids in florida got suspended for playing cops a robbers and they were first grade!

Insanitee

I know where you live!
What the hell is that going to teach them...! No wonder kids hate the police. :mad:

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Colombineified... if they do nothing and the kid does something stupid... someone will find them liable for missing "the classic signs" so I guess erroring on the side of saftey for others...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
the police are pretty much obligated to go overboard now... if they do nothing or too little, other parents will cry out as to why the system does nothing...

dont worry soon anti terrorism policies will get so bad, children will be taken to cuban prison camps for cursing in class...

R

RedOctober

Well...

Don't draw a simple drawing which says..
White House..

Club Dubya
Whip Condy

Or they'll get yah!

To the toaster in some Texas joint! :rip:

Thank god my teachers never looked in the back of all my school books.... I'd be in juvenile by the sounds of that. Mine were horrifically graphic too

ferengi

Yay fire!
I think this is going just a little too far. Maybe a suspension was in order, and counseling, but surely they could have avoided arresting two children for making a drawing. Many children express their emotions through drawing, that doesn't mean they're going to act on those emotions. :rolleyes:

Felony? wtf, it's a friggin drawing. there are paintings that are much more graphics depicted bloody war scenes.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I would have been public enemy number one with my folders filled with stick figures in a strip, that featured some shithead classmates as stick figured being brutally killed by me and my friends. I drew dozens of them. I guess I'd be a long term jail person now, instead of someone with no record and no tickets or anything. :rolleyes:

Insanitee

I know where you live!
Hey I actualy did get in trouble once! At Middletown High, in R.I. I drew a picture of this pig smoking a bong with this retarded dude fucking it up the ass! What screwed me was when i drew the same jewlery on it that my teacher was wearing and wrote the principals name under the retarded dude.... almost got suspended and parents had to come speak to the teacher... BUT... NO fukkin' COPS!!!!

Insanitee

I know where you live!
:gun:
OK!!!! Here's your source!!!!!!! =

CNN Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Posted: 7:29 AM EST (1229 GMT)... Check the web site if you have must!

:mfinger:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Insanitee said:
:bonk:
OCALA, Florida (AP) -- Two boys were arrested for making pencil-and-crayon stick figure drawings depicting a 10-year-old classmate being stabbed and hung, police said. The children, charged with a felony, were taken from school in handcuffs.

The 9- and 10-year-old boys were arrested Monday and charged with making a written threat to kill or harm another person. They were also suspended from school.

One drawing showed the two boys standing on either side of the other boy and "holding knives pointed through" his body, according to a police report. The figures were identified by written names or initials.

Another drawing showed a stick figure hanging, tears falling from his eyes, with two other stick figures standing below him. Other pieces of scrap paper listed misspelled profanities and the initials of the boy who was allegedly threatened.

The boys' parents said they thought the children should be punished by the school and families, not the legal system...

Question: Do police go way to far no mater what the situation?
Yes. The issue we have in America is that we are paranoid bastards after Columbine, and are always worried about getting killed in school, even though it's 100% impossible in your town if you are reading this.

The TV news plays a large part of it. You know they've become corrupt when id Software (The makers of Doom), actually had the police crew of Dallas, Texas come in for night shifts to protect them from the mob. The police were happy to oblige, and felt sorry for the employees, frequently buying them pizzas on the house.

John Romero (Co-Creator of Doom) was fired from id in 1995 and after Columbine feared for his life multiple times. He doesn't even know how to fire a gun in real life! Yet people like him get the blame, when it should have been the fucking parents!

If Doom made people kill, than in 1995 AT LEAST 15 million people would be dead, because it was installed on 15 million PC's.

Doom, one of the greatest pieces of art ever made, recieved the blame for a horrific incident involving more than two (Yes, it's true) gunmen with fucked up parents, in a fucked up educational system.

All we ever do is blame, and that perpetuates stupid shit like this.

If you want to know why we are paranoid, check out American TV News and you'll notice a trend. They will hop on one fear bandwagon to the other. Now, it's child molestation. Before, it was terrorism (Still somewhat). Before that, it was Doom. Before that, I can't remember.

dzaykim

Toss my salad
This is pretty scary.
The police are continuing to get exponentially anal about everything.
Regardless that this is due to the fact that people continually find new ways to push the limits, I can't help but wonder what sort of thing you will get arrested for in 10 maybe 20 years.

Arrested? Kid's are drawing because they hate the other kid. At least they aren't kicking that kid's ass. What happened to the wonderful 'parent teacher conference to decide the best plan of action' deal?
:confused:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Well, to begin with you all realize the police don't have a choice in the matter right? They have to arrest the kid because the local laws say son.

Beyond that, these weren't just pictures. They actually depicted violence towards another person. From what the article said, these were very specific pictures. They didn't depict random violence but targeted violence against a particular individual.

Someone saw the pictures and felt justified in calling the cops. Are we too jumpy when a first graded gets busted for saying "BANG YOUR DEAD" while playing cops and robbers? Yes. Is this too jumpy? Hard to say but the threat seems credible from where I'm sitting.

I do think the police took this out of control. Reallly - it's just a drawing. Just because they drew it - dosen't mean that they're gonna kill the kid. I do think they deserved a suspension, and maybe they need some therapy, but the police did'nt need to be involved. They don't involve the police for most school-yard fights... why involve them over a drawing?