WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines breaking news: prediction #1 for the future

morelos

lexicon incognito
"the military will be an all-volunteer army."

- United States President, George W. Bush, 1-Oct-2004 03:29 UTC

--------------

how can i say this politely...

BULL FUCKING SHIT.

~ dan ~

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have to agree with you on that. I just saw that myself. Biggest crock of shit ever!

I thought the debate was hilarious. Bush would press for the impromptu 30 second rebuttal against the first one, and just freeze for 10 seconds, say something stupid, then something general. Bush couldn't debate as well as Kerry.

msalyss85

Banned - What an Asshat!
I agree. Kerry actually answered the questions. He was clear and concise. Bush on the other hand needed a little more practice with his flash cards.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Somebody vote Kerry for me. If Bush is reelected, aww hell. :bomb: :gun: :sword: :surrendr: :bonk: :soldier:

Jung

???
Premium
the U.S. military is 100% volunteer currently.

gumercules

Ultra Mega
uhhhh which members of the military are pressed into service?

the officers who compete for spots at academies or spots in ROTC detachments?

the enlisted members who went to the enlistment office and signed up?

the reserve and guard who willingly trained for one weekend a month and collected more money than they were earning just in case they were needed?

the guys who got drafted? oh wait, there is no draft currently

:rolleyes:

morelos

lexicon incognito
please turn down the intentional ignorance and turn up the mental capacity:

"is" and "will be" are quite different in meaning.

~ dan ~

moreover, i just read somewhere that about 30% of the enlisted on recall aren't showing up.

how exactly is it that there will BE an army if it's all-volunteer?

and moreover, once they tell you you're not leaving, even though your term is up, are you still really a 'volunteer?'

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
A lot of people in the military don't want to be there. Some are pressed by economic conditions, some sent by their family to "straighten out". Either way, they're "volunteers," but only in that they weren't drafted.

Oh, and good to see you around Morelos :thumbsup:

morelos

lexicon incognito
word up :p

i'm taking time off stuff i actually NEED to be doing to visit this forum, but what the fuck ever. i spent the whole day grading exams. i have had a cold for TWO WEEKS. i work in a germ farm.

to return from digression, you have a tangential point to mine: many "volunteer" enlistees were pressed by the worsening economy. my direct point, though, was that once a person's term of duty is up, they are supposed to be released except in times of war (i forget the exact phrasing in the contract, but my cousin was in the navy and many of my friends were marines; i've read the second-swearing documents).

correct me if i'm wrong, but this is not a "time of war." didn't a huge banner appear on an aircraft carrier somewhere, claiming "mission accomplished?"

ugh; what cliché. i can't believe i just said that, but that it's still relevant is what really unnerves me.

~ dan ~

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Well, technically this isn't a time of war at all. We're warring, but we're not "at war".

gumercules

Ultra Mega
military operations other than war is the technical term

and signing up for the military isn't like signing up to run a booth at a craft fair for a couple hours, when your time is up you get to go home no matter what. you sign up to do a job and to serve your country, and if your country needs more time out of you then it's your job to give it

anybody who throws a fit about that didn't understand what they were getting into and shouldn't have volunteered in the first place

breakology

Kiss my Converse
gumercules said:
uhhhh which members of the military are pressed into service?

the officers who compete for spots at academies or spots in ROTC detachments?

the enlisted members who went to the enlistment office and signed up?

the reserve and guard who willingly trained for one weekend a month and collected more money than they were earning just in case they were needed?

the guys who got drafted? oh wait, there is no draft currently

:rolleyes:
Sure, there is no draft, but there is this pesky thing called a "stop loss" that prevents soldiers from leaving the service when their time is up. There is also involunitary extensions, and recall of inactive reserves. These are all the things that Kerry is talking about when accuses Bush of "back door drafts".

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
i dont understand your anger, granted there is the back door draft problem, but nothing has happened yet, if your going to get mad about something, get mad that you actually used a little smiley face with the tongue sticking out

Zennousha

Master of Malaise
going home

everyone can go home and be happy if people ignored their emotions and just turned the iraq and all of those place into 1 big parking lot :bomb:

tzedek

Original Member
wtf is a "back door draft"??? does it have anything to do with same sex marriages????

morelos

lexicon incognito
i liked the part about "nothing has happened yet."

what about the people dying almost every day?

~ dan ~