WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Britian changes bar laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Normally I make threads in Issues to vent my rage against pro-lifers, ID supporters, Bush voters and other scum of the Earth. However, on the rare occassion something really cool happens, I have to give props.
Britian has changed the laws to allow pubs, bars etc.. to keep whatever hours they like. That has been the case in Germany and in New Orleans and few other parts of the U.S. , now Britian has gotten with the program. That kicks ass. Good job Brits. Hopefully, in the future, the rest of America will follow suit.
Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/11/23/england.drinking.ap/index.html

I thought this was going to be about them changing the requirements for being a lawyer. I don't know if they have the bar assocaition there, but an article about boozin it up is better anyway.

R

RedOctober

Well.. I sucks!

We have allmost free bar openings in The Netherlands.
They did that, because in Belgium they had that already.
So we had to liberalize the bar openings, because a lot of youngsters went to Belgium, with all risks of traffic accidents and shit like that.

The only effect is, that youth has changed the time to go out from 1800 h to 2300 hours. And because the price of the boose is high in bars, they buy beer and stuff in the shops, and they hold a "drink-in" from 1800 hours onward, untill they are loaded at 2300 and then take a taxi-cab to go out.

So now the police is patrolling all night. Swell! It sucks if you happen to live in the neighbourhood of a pub. And it's a great time for crimes at night, because the coppers are baby sitting!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
how ironic that on the same day britain's most famous alcoholic, george best, is in hospital (again) dying.. :thumbsdn: LINK

i think it will be crazy for a while and then simmer down, it will be good not to have to drink so fast in order to get drunk.. i used to finish work at 8.30pm in london, that gave me about 3 hours drinking in the pub.. we would have to drop shots in our pints to catch up with the guys who had been in there since 6pm..

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
I'm not looking forward to this...

Too many people I know will drink heavily until they can't get served because of the closing time. Without the time limit, so many people are going to consume far too much alcohol because they are too fucked faced to realize how much they've had.

But I digress; the guzzling does usually occur within the 15 minutes leading to last orders. And fast consumption is very effective at knocking the drinker off their feet. Without the incentive to speed up, perhaps pacing will be less of a problem and perhaps (though unlikely) the British will become more conservative with their drinking. It would be nice to be able to ENJOY a pint at a leisurely pace without my mates breathing down my neck saying, “last orders in an hour, let’s get a few more in. Drink up!”

I'm concerned about the younger generation, the binge drinkers. Friday/Saturday have always been the nights to get shit faced with your friends. A quiet pint is unheard of. Sensibility has never been our foreplay, and without limits, recklessness is inevitable. There'll definitely be a few pubs I'll be avoiding for a few months.

This can go either way, good or bad; I’m thinking bad the most.

But, at least I will not have pay a small fortune in the local club if I wish to continue drinking after hours.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
it's not just bars and pubs though.. it's also some supermarkets and stores.. that's a really good move, people can say whatever they like about the antisocial aspects of the bars being open all the time, but it was antisocial not being able to go out and get more alcohol at 4am..

this makes britain so great it should be renamed Great Great Britain :)

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Growing up in New Orleans, I took it for granted that I could go to a bar or buy alcohol 24 hours a day. When I lived in other parts of the U.S. I found a lot of places had manditory 2 AM closing times. How fucking uncivilized! In the addition to problem of people chugging as many drinks as possible at 1:45 and then the roads being jammed with drunks all at one time, people should also consider that such statutes prevent people who work night jobs from getting a beer after work. I believe the good attributes of unrestricted alcohol sales far outwieght whatever imaginary benefits mandated closing times is supposed to create.

R

RedOctober

Woodreaux said:
Growing up in New Orleans, I took it for granted that I could go to a bar or buy alcohol 24 hours a day. When I lived in other parts of the U.S. I found a lot of places had manditory 2 AM closing times. How fucking uncivilized! In the addition to problem of people chugging as many drinks as possible at 1:45 and then the roads being jammed with drunks all at one time, people should also consider that such statutes prevent people who work night jobs from getting a beer after work. I believe the good attributes of unrestricted alcohol sales far outwieght whatever imaginary benefits mandated closing times is supposed to create.
Good day!
Don't they sell beer in your supermarkets?
It's ridiculous anyway to hang around in a bar at the middle of the night.
No wonder so much Americans are speaking jibberish in the morning.. :rolleyes:

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
Red. Just don't speak until you have an intelligent response. Please. My brain is numbing and I may die if you say anything again.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
RedOctober said:
Good day!
Don't they sell beer in your supermarkets?
It's ridiculous anyway to hang around in a bar at the middle of the night.
No wonder so much Americans are speaking jibberish in the morning.. :rolleyes:

how the fuck did you turn a thread about british bars into your usual tirade against america?

you are the worst poster on this site. irrelevant. misinformed. troll.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
its thanksgiving and the liquor stores here are in full force... :D

R

RedOctober

void said:
how the fuck did you turn a thread about british bars into your usual tirade against america?

you are the worst poster on this site. irrelevant. misinformed. troll.
Well, you British pompous ass!
You see how it's done.
You can read, don't you?

BTW, better try the Bait&Tackle forum next time. It didn't work a few days ago, and that's why you're pissed? (linguistical joke)
It was a question by an American what he must do if the bars would be closed. Go to a shop dammit!

P.S.
A British pubkeeper (yeah I know.. They yse landlord or something)
told a journalist that the drinking problem in the UK wouldn't get worse.
The Brits are alcoholics already. :rolleyes:
Another thing is, I've always wondered how an entire nation could get drunk on horsepiss.
The Limeys don't know how to drink the real stuff anyway. Some Dutch sailors allways had to take them to their bunks to sleep it out, whrn they had Dutch beer..
Sometimes 3 cans, and they slide on the floor...

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
RedOctober said:
You see how it's done.
You can read, don't you?

BTW, better try the Bait&Tackle forum next time. It didn't work a few days ago, and that's why you're pissed? (linguistical joke)
It was a question by an American what he must do if the bars would be closed. Go to a shop dammit!

P.S.
Ummmm as far as I know Redtampon this isnt a flaming forum and unless you want to feel the end of my boot less comments about the british. Keep, it to the right forum, you have a problem with my Country, make a thread, ill be there.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
RedOctober said:
You see how it's done.
You can read, don't you?

P.S.
Another thing is, I've always wondered how an entire nation could get drunk on horsepiss.
The Limeys don't know how to drink the real stuff anyway. Some Dutch sailors allways had to take them to their bunks to sleep it out, whrn they had Dutch beer..
Sometimes 3 cans, and they slide on the floor...
there is no difference in strength between most british beers and most dutch beers. again, you show incredible ignorance, not suprisingly as this allows you to be so opinionated.
stop using every forum for your tirades against britain and the usa.
i did start a thread in B&T against you, it went well, people still post in it and you were absent a while.
result. :thumbsup:
start a thread entitled 'why i hate the brits and yanks.' then watch no one post in it as we don't care.
alternatively, carry on. i'm sure every mod on this site is just one step from being exasperated with you.

R

RedOctober

void said:
there is no difference in strength between most british beers and most dutch beers. again, you show incredible ignorance, not suprisingly as this allows you to be so opinionated.
Grow up man, English beer hasn't got bullocks.
I drunk it for hours and hours and felt nothing, while the Limeys were singing and dancing on the tables. They always do that when they are drunk.
Then their true feelings come free, they want to sing and dance like girls.. :D

For the rest, the English don't want to hear anything negative about their country. Why do you ask then?

If an Englishman asks a Dutchman, what he really thinks about England, he will get an answer like...
"Well.. Where shall I start..." :rolleyes:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
bullocks are bovine creatures, you meant bollocks?

i repeat there are no differences between british and dutch beers.

you are possibly confusing your beer with that of the belgians?

don't forget i have actually lived in england, america, belgium.. i have been to holland many times, not just amsterdam as you assume.

i have met many dutch people, in holland, in malaysia, in india.. great people. i do not base my opinion of them on how i percieve you, they were great but that doesn't mean you are. you do seem to base your opinion of all english and americans on the few you have met. you really do. i'm not that guy. you aren't reading me right.

all i'm trying to do is ask you to stop generalising every time you mention brits or americans. do you think we assume all dutch are like you, or that all dutch fit the stereotype of being tight with their money and depressed?

dutch people are wonderful, as are all people.

generalising abot people based on race is racist and if you continue i will start to mark all your comments as racism.

R

RedOctober

void said:
generalising abot people based on race is racist and if you continue i will start to mark all your comments as racism.
Yes, of course..
The Brits allways know how to raise their voice about injustice somewhere else in the world, while they keep silent about their own.

One example...
What the fuck are your troops doing in Iraq?
Bringing peace?
They are already in Northern Ireland for more than 30 years, and they still don't have accomplished anything!

And of course the Dutch won't tell you English, how mad we are about those stupid Orange men, that are embarrising in their flagwaving against the catholic majority of Northern Ireland!

How brave you British were to condemn innocent men to do years in the nick because they are Irish!

Who's a racist here?

Let's talk about how your ancestors plundered, raped and murdered the Irish, and the Scots. How you stole their land and property.

How you comitted crimes against the farmers in Southern Africa. Yes, the Boer War. Where you needed an army of a million soldiers or more to get rid of only 40.000 men of Dutch ancestry.
Just to satisfy your greed in gold and diamonds!

Shame on you!

I could go on and on about your shameless Empire.
But it's enough for now.. :rolleyes:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
red.
i said it before, i need to say it again.. i'm not proud of the things either of my countries have done that are reprehensible. i too find it wrong that we are bullying on the world stage.

but i don't shit up every thread with rants about it, and i haven't got 9/10ths of the posters wishing i would leave because of that.

je moet je bek houden, dwaas.

please, have the balls to take it to B&T.

R

RedOctober

void said:
red.
je moet je bek houden, dwaas.

please, have the balls to take it to B&T.
Well, It's time for another raid on Chatham.. :D

We break through easily, because all pubs will be open all night, and all Limeys snoring.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Well I hope we had a jolly good time, thouroughly turning this thread into a shithouse. I believe we've had enough American, Beer, British, and personal bashing for one thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.