WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Brothers In Arms

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Well, I decided it was time to buy a new PC game. I go to the local Wal-Mart, because I know where it is, and peruse through the electronics section. Look at PC and PS2 games, settle on the PC version of Brothers In Arms, and checkout.

I make sure I meet the system requirements, and even the recommended specs, all fine and dandy.

I install the game, all fine and dandy.

I try to run the game. All hell breaks loose... not really hell, but aggervation.

About 3 seconds after trying to initialize the actual game, after that little title box on your desktop pops up, I get a crappy Error message.

It's in a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" window

The message reads

Program: ...s\Ubisoft\Gearbox Software\BrothersInArms\System\bia.exe

R6025

-pure virtual function call
What shit, so I figure, OK I'll download the newest patch which I'm sure the Tech Support people will tell me to do anyways.

It goes a little farther, but crashes again.

Well, I figure maybe I'll just keep pluggin away at it.

I dunno how, but it finally loaded... Without sound. Who wants to play a war game without sound? Not me. I quit the game.

I figure maybe my computer needs a reboot after installing the game even though it says nothing about it.

I power down, let it sit for five minutes boot back up run the game and get the original error message. How neat. :thumbsdn:

Hopefully a joyous update will follow.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
You see, that's why I'm a console gamer.

The fucking game will work no matter what.

Except if it's broken.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Console games aren't allowed some of the extendability that PC games can get. Though, I am partial to console, I don't mind busting out the ultra blood sprays that come with UT2k4. :thumbsup:

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
screw_ball said:

Except if it's broken.
yeah, well you do that playstation boy.

Well, not to get off subject...

Ok, to get off subject...

A "hardcore gamer" plays "all of the above".

Console, handhelds, PC, you get my drift.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
HavokChylde said:

We know Descent plays the handheld. Heheheh... :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Missles said:
We know Descent plays the handheld. Heheheh...
:naughty:

You mean my Neo Geo or my dick?

BWM said:
Did you link that correctly? It pulls up the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package download page.
Yeah, that's where I linked ya! Hopefully it's not the older Visual Studio...Even though the new one sucks balls.

Screwy said:

Except if it's broken.
No keyboard and mouse no care.

So that means:

No Dreamcast, no care.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
HavokChylde said:

Who said I was a hardcore gamer? I'm a total Sony fanboy (except fot the PSP. Will it ever have an good games?)

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
Yea i'm with Pubes on this one....Console is the way to go....With the connectivity now-a-days...you dont even need a computer....Except to cyber with Jangles...but thats a different story...isnt it BWM? ;)

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
The .NET download did nothing.

I researched the error code in the MSDN database, and got some code junkie language that I don't understand with refrences to voids, and instantiated, and a whole lotta other crap that made it seem like in order to fix it, I'd have to recode the fucking game. Shitty ass game makers with shittily developed software, that won't work on my shitty ass computer.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I found the problem!!

"Program: ...s\Ubisoft\Gearbox Software\BrothersInArms\System\bia.exe

Noobi Soft is the worst company EVER for producing games. Any good titles they seem to screw up for PC with a bunch of glitches and then their follow-up patches never fix anything either. I've never had more problems trying to get their games to run, either. Sorry for the misfortune. I'd try reinstalling your video drivers(?) if you havent already.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
A pure virtual function is method that is declared by a class just so that derived classes can implement it. The reason this is done is to allow callers to invoke it with pointers to the ancestor with the intent of invoking the derived class's method. Example, lets say you have classes A,B and C derived from class P. If A,B and C have a method foo() that is specific to each class, then P can declare foo as virtual. It's declaration may look like:
virtual int foo()=0;

If a caller may point to A,B or C using an address to type P. As such:
P * p0 = new A();
Then invoke A's foo() method:
int x = (A*)p0->foo();

However, if the programmer did something like this:
P * p1 = new P();
int y = p1->foo();

Then p1->foo() would be a call to a pure virtual function which by definition is undefinited.
The source code has a bug.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
LiberatioN said:
I found the problem!!

"Program: ...s\Ubisoft\Gearbox Software\BrothersInArms\System\bia.exe

Noobi Soft is the worst company EVER for producing games. Any good titles they seem to screw up for PC with a bunch of glitches and then their follow-up patches never fix anything either. I've never had more problems trying to get their games to run, either. Sorry for the misfortune. I'd try reinstalling your video drivers(?) if you havent already.
What the crap would that help with.

Far Cry still boots and runs flawlessly.

I'm running the latest release of drivers for my card.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
I would recommend contacting Noobi soft, copy and paste the error message dialog along with the version of Windows you are using and email it to them. The error message text should point the programmers in the direction of the problem. The sooner they get the clues, the sooner they can fix it, and thus the sooner you can play the game.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Already done.

I just read the reply here at work.

It says something about opening MSCONFIG and rebooting without any startup programs, and then trying to run the game.

UbiTechie said:
Response (TRENT) 04/27/2005 03:12 PM

Adam,

Before loading the game, please make sure that you do not have any programs running in the background. To do this, go to the Start menu, and choose Run. Delete anything on the Open line that you'll find there, and type in the word MSCONFIG. Click on OK, and that will bring up a program called the System Configuration Utility.

Look down the list of startup items (not the tab labeled Startup), and choose Selective Startup (if it is not already selected). If you don't see this, make sure you've clicked on General, near the top of the window. Once you've chosen Selective Startup, uncheck 'Load Startup Items', and leave 'Process System.INI file' and 'Process Win.INI file' checked. Once you're done here, click OK, and let it reboot your computer.

Your Windows environment may look different and you may get an error relating to your sound device not working (ignore this for now). Try running the game again. If the game loads and seems to be working, the problem is most likely related to one or more programs you have scheduled to load with Windows. You can then revert the settings back the way they were, and in a trial and error fashion, disable some programs using the startup tab (in the msconfig utility) to try to find the culprit.
This was in reply to my question of:

Me said:
I'm currently trying to run Brothers In Arm on my computer, It exceeds the current "Minimum Requirements" and even exceeds most "Recommended Requirements.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

After opening the program using any possible icon, (desktop, Menu, or Auto-Play), the game starts to load the small introduction screen. Before anything else happens I receive an error window reading

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: ...s\Ubisoft\Gearbox Software\BrothersInArms\System\bia.exe

R6025

-pure virtual function call

I would just like to know what is causing this, and how to fix it.

Thank you for your time,

Descent

Hella Constipated
BWM said:
I'm running the latest release of drivers for my card.
Downgrade to the 4.12's...Every Catalyst 5 series driver I've used so far has sucked.

Catalyst 5.3 was worse than the final official drivers released for the Rage Pro...The text was unreadable for every Direct3D game I ran, all the way from Sven Co-Op, to FreeSpace 1/2 (Unplayable without readable text, you need the fucking HUD!), to Half-Life 2.

Actually, Source Engine based games looked worse than they would on a Voodoo 2, on both my 9700 Pro, and my friend's 9600 Pro. The textures looked like they were literally 5x3 in size, and the HUD didn't work!

5.4 was better, but the text bug came back when Anti-Aliasing was enabled. Also, the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project Engine skipped like hell with the additional graphical Media .VP files installed. You actually couldn't play it.

5.1 and 5.2 ran games slower than their predecessors.

To this date, the only thing that the Catalyst 5 series drivers have fixed for me is the flashing mission briefing text bug in Zeckenseck's Glide Wrapper that pops up in the 3Dfx port of Descent I. But hell, it's not needed, the briefings don't actually help you.

Jung

???
Premium
"Pure virtual" means "This function can't be used. When you derive a class from this class, you must override this function." The most common cause for pure virtual function calls are build inconsistencies. Normally, a pure virtual function can never be called, since the compiler won't let you create an instance of a class which doesn't provide an implementation for a pure virtual function.

Try downloading this and running the debug option. You should paste the output into a text file or something, and send it to UbiSoft.