WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines 'Brownie' resigns due to incompetence.

jamesp

In Memory...
Demoted FEMA chief resigns
Michael Brown became lightning rod for Katrina criticism

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Michael Brown, the embattled U.S. official in charge of responding to natural disasters, resigned Monday just days after he was removed from direct command of relief operations in the battered Gulf Coast.

Brown, the director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, has become a lightning rod for what critics view as a lax response in getting aid to the devastated areas, particularly to New Orleans.
He was relieved of duty in the Gulf last Friday by his boss, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, and sent back to Washington. Brown's role in the Gulf relief efforts was assigned to Thad Allen, a Coast Guard vice admiral.

By removing the FEMA chief from the disaster area, the White House hoped to quell a raging controversy that threatened to further damage the president.
Many Democrats and some Republicans have urged President Bush to fire Brown. For his part, Brown accused the media of turning him into a scapegoat.
On Sept. 2, President Bush initially praised the performance of Brown in his first visit to the Gulf, saying: "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." Yet just a few hours before that, the president himself admitted that the federal relief effort was "unacceptable."
Before Brown joined FEMA in mid-2002 as deputy director, he had virtually no experience in disaster management. He was hired in part on the recommendation of then-FEMA boss Joe Allbaugh, a longtime friend who served as Bush's campaign manager in 2000.
In addition, Brown's only experience with disaster management -- as a government assistant during the 1970s in Edmond, Okla. -- was reportedly overstated, according to a recent story in Time magazine.
The Senate approved Brown in 2002 as deputy secretary in a unanimous voice vote. No one from either party raised any serious questions about his qualifications. Brown later moved into the top position in 2003 after Allbaugh left. His promotion did not require another Senate vote.
FEMA has about 2,500 full-time employees scattered across the country, as well as several thousand personnel on standby.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={63A9513A-25C9-4459-836E-20D3048005D7}&siteid=google

Hmmm...saw this coming, though its a shame it wasn't 3 weeks ago.

Hmmm...saw this coming, though its a shame it wasn't 3 weeks ago.
Or 10 weeks ago, so a competent man would have been securely in command when then disaster hit.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
makes you wonder what else he fucked up that didn't make the media's attention..

jamesp

In Memory...
I'd be willing to bet that those Arabian horses wish they could talk right about the time Brownie was given that responsibility (FEMA).

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I can hear the excuses at his next interview already...

"We were understaffed, and our budget cut! It wasn't my fault!"

BLECH

jamesp

In Memory...
C'mon, dont be so hard on him, they didnt have any factual evidence, aside from all the major news networks reporting on it, that there were people at the superdome.

Jung

???
Premium
Good! He was unqualified for the position and only appointed for it when his old job ceased to exist. FEMA has been a cluster fuck down here, everyone is disappointed in them. Local churches and humanitarian groups have done more than FEMA has. :rolleyes:

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Jung's right, and with less funding I may add, a whole lot less!

Jung

???
Premium
The local news aired a story the other day about a guy driving to Mississippi with reief supplies, he ran out of gas on the way. This guy ended up setting up a shelter right there on the side of the road. People came; they were fed and given water and a place to rest. That's heart.

FEMA has all the gas and man power it needs and can't even differentiate from its ass or a hole in the wall, much less give relief to refugees.

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
jamesp: Please check the F.Y.I rule about using quotation tags. ;) Just do the article text plain, until some other workaround is found for the quote-causing-front-page-to-widen issue the portal experiences. ;)

I edited your last couple news articles to remove the tags. Otherwise, keep it up!

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
ya know... just seems to me... everyone goes about finding anyone they can blame for the disaster... anyone to blame for the bad response to the aftermath...

but has anyone thought maby it was kind of a bad idea living in a near coastal city, that is below sea level and dependant on man made pumps and levees to keep from flooding? I mean... new orleans is great.. and its bad what happened.. but its like living in san francisco and being surprised when an earthquake hits...

jamesp

In Memory...
:blahblah:

Well...its their fault for being born.....and then moving to a coastal city......and even if they were bron there, its still their fault....

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
just saying.. so many people are so surprised by the damage and everything... but it was going to happen... eventually..

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
ya know... just seems to me... everyone goes about finding anyone they can blame for the disaster... anyone to blame for the bad response to the aftermath...

but has anyone thought maby it was kind of a bad idea living in a near coastal city, that is below sea level and dependant on man made pumps and levees to keep from flooding? I mean... new orleans is great.. and its bad what happened.. but its like living in san francisco and being surprised when an earthquake hits... :blahblah:
:rolleyes:

There is no place in the US that isn’t susceptible to natural disasters; you have hurricanes, floods, tornados and earthquakes. Pick your natural disaster and respective insurance.

jamesp

In Memory...
NO kidding, I honestly dont understand it when people bring up the question, "Will we rebuild?" of fucking course! Thats like scrapping NASA after the Challenger accident, it worked fine until then, but now its not worth the risk. Idiocy, sheer idiocy.