WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

build me up buttercup

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
alright so ive decided to build my own computer. problem is i dont really know how (unlike some of the geek girls ont his forum)

i have picked out the case for it and somebody is buying it for me (helps to be a camwhore)

ok now as i stated before i have never built a computer.
#1 i want to discuss the lights on the case. i actually want pink lights - i can just replace the blue ones on there.. cant i?

#2 i figure my next piece to buy would be the motherboard.

the case i found support both
- ATX
- MATX

any suggestions, ideas, complaints, comments, advice, anything at all you can offer me on good atx/matx motherboards. im trying to keep the price down but i want something stable. im buying things in pieces so i figure it can be a project spread over time.

Jung

???
Premium
That case reminds me of a movie...

#1 i want to discuss the lights on the case. i actually want pink lights - i can just replace the blue ones on there.. cant i?
Yes, you can order case lights from 23450745837 places online. They should be pretty idiot proof, and all be user replaceable.
#2 i figure my next piece to buy would be the motherboard.
I don't know why you're worried about ATX/MATX when you haven't even specified what type of processor you want. You should decide that first, then buy a board that supports it. 99% of motherboards out there will conform to the ATX/MATX standards, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Maybe if you gave us an idea on what you'll be using the PC for, we'd be able to make some suggestions. Do you want an AMD or Intel system? Do you plan on doing any gaming? What kind of ports/cards do you need? etc...

You might also want to check out www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com for parts. I'd stay away from pricewatch being your first time building.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm, that fucking emoticon made me laugh so hard!

And fuck Pricewatch - I personally got ripped off of $150 on bootleg Athlon XP's.

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
junglizm said:
Maybe if you gave us an idea on what you'll be using the PC for, we'd be able to make some suggestions. Do you want an AMD or Intel system? Do you plan on doing any gaming? What kind of ports/cards do you need? etc...
intel system, im not much of a gamer more into graphics, webdesign, that sort of stuff. i want to run linux on it and eventually set up a server.

junglizm said:
You might also want to check out www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com for parts. I'd stay away from pricewatch being your first time building.
somebody actually recomended pricewatch to me. it didnt click with me ive been avoiding it since.

oh yeah.. you dont like the case? im accepting recommendations.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
A new computer for your cunning stunt shots!

When looking at Pricewatch it is investigate the vendors. It's sort of like Amazon's used books. Service & product quality varies from vendor to vendor, while Amazon/Pricewatch just gathers data and makes the sorting easy.

Jung

???
Premium
icka said:
intel system, im not much of a gamer more into graphics, webdesign, that sort of stuff. i want to run linux on it and eventually set up a server.
An AMD system would be cheaper for the same amount of performance. Unless you're doing A LOT of video encoding or 3d rendering, Intel isn't going to offer you any noticeable performance gains.

Around what speed processor do you want? I'd really suggest going with a lower end AMD 64 (2800+ or 3000+), since it'll be more future proof. Intel hasn't even released a decently priced 64 bit desktop processor. Also, Linux is negligible.

If you go Intel, you'd pay $168 for a 2.8. Or you could get an AMD 64 2800+ for $115, or an AMD 64 3000 for $146. Note that the Intel is a 32 bit prcessor, the two AMDs are 32/64 hybrid. There is really no reason to buy 32 bit processors anymore, unless you're on a tight budget.

somebody actually recomended pricewatch to me. it didnt click with me ive been avoiding it since.
There are some good deals to be had on pricewatch, but you need to check the stores' ratings on resellerratings.com before you buy. It's easier for most people to just avoid them all together though.
oh yeah.. you dont like the case? im accepting recommendations.
No, I don't. I'm not a fan of the flashy lights and all that useless stuff. If you like that though, I'm sure you can find a case here.

What is your budget? I can show you what I'd buy for the price if you give me some more info.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
hey nothing wrong with flashy cases...i actually think it adds to the PC's appeal myself. Some are a little over the edge though.

i mean, that's cool...but cmon.... :rolleyes:

This is my case. It's about 2 years old and I could stand to upgrade...but it's not over the edge.

icka said:
im buying things in pieces so i figure it can be a project spread over time.
I would definitely advise against buying things seperately "over time". Save the money and get everything at once. Otherwise it'll push you back and you'll end up with an outdated system with a couple newer parts.

LiberatioN said:
hey nothing wrong with flashy cases...i actually think it adds to the PC's appeal myself. Some are a little over the edge though.

i mean, that's cool...but cmon.... :rolleyes:

This is my case. It's about 2 years old and I could stand to upgrade...but it's not over the edge.

lol or that one guy who made a computer case out of a fridge. or a baby coffin. weird geeks....

yeah go with AMD cheap, very effective....are you planning on doing alot of gaming or what...?

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I wish I had an AMD...my next mobo is gonna be an MSI with an AMD processor. I've used both and I can honestly say I like the performance of their equivalent processors much more.

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
LiberatioN said:
I would definitely advise against buying things seperately "over time". Save the money and get everything at once. Otherwise it'll push you back and you'll end up with an outdated system with a couple newer parts.
well unfortunantly im a broke ass bitch so i have nochoice

i figured computers arent being upgraded like they were a few years ago. over time is like 6/8 months for me. i dont think in 6/8 months it will be outdated

OK OK ill go amd!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Like the others said, save up and buy all at once. Computers are updating at amazing speeds and stuff you buy today will probably work tomorrow, but you could buy better stuff tomorrow.

Additionally, don't buy your components individually. If you buy each component from a different vendor because that vendor is cheapest for that part you end up spending WAY more on shipping. When I built my current PC I spent about $100 more on the components by purchasing them all from one place but I saved a little over $250 on shipping. (Actually the only thing I paid shipping on was my tower case.)

I'm not a fan of the light up cases either. One enemy of the PC is heat and all those lights do is create more heat and suck more juice from your power supply. Sure they produce very little heat and use very little juice but if you're like 99% of the world and stick your case on the floor under your desk why mess with it?

So the advice: save your cash and buy it all at once from one or two stores. Buy a nice case without all the lights that you'll never use. If you want a pink case I suggest this.

Jung

???
Premium
icka said:
i figured computers arent being upgraded like they were a few years ago. over time is like 6/8 months for me. i dont think in 6/8 months it will be outdated
Actually, technology is progressing at an amazing rate tight now. 64 bit is the big thing right now, but dual core was recently introduced and will be the future. Right now is an excellent time to buy though; lower end 64 bit processors are down to bargain prices and will be future proof for quite some time.
OK OK ill go amd!
So what is your budget? I'll give you a list of things to buy if you tell me that.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
icka said:
well unfortunantly im a broke ass bitch so i have nochoice

OK OK ill go amd!

even if you are right and in 6-8 months there is no updates there is still a chance that the stuff is cheaper, plus you don't have to worry about breaking anything losing anything or having anything stolen. and the warranty (if there is one) will be in affect starting at a later date.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Like the others said, save up and buy all at once. Computers are updating at amazing speeds and stuff you buy today will probably work tomorrow, but you could buy better stuff tomorrow.

Additionally, don't buy your components individually. If you buy each component from a different vendor because that vendor is cheapest for that part you end up spending WAY more on shipping. When I built my current PC I spent about $100 more on the components by purchasing them all from one place but I saved a little over $250 on shipping. (Actually the only thing I paid shipping on was my tower case.)

I'm not a fan of the light up cases either. One enemy of the PC is heat and all those lights do is create more heat and suck more juice from your power supply. Sure they produce very little heat and use very little juice but if you're like 99% of the world and stick your case on the floor under your desk why mess with it?

So the advice: save your cash and buy it all at once from one or two stores. Buy a nice case without all the lights that you'll never use. If you want a pink case I suggest this.
What the fuck dude? are you saying two extra watts per fan is extraneous power usuage? And about heat - they don't really make anything. They aren't high-intensity flashlight LED's, which can easily burn a finger. Besides, even if they did, the air circulating from the surrounding fan cools the plastic shell and eliminates that.

Now about cathodes - I believe those drain around ten watts. By comparison, a GeForce2 MX draws the same amount, RAM included. It core draws around 4W. The usuage could be even less than ten depending on the numer of memory modules.

So in reality, it's nothing. I mean shit, an extra 18w ain't gonna kill ya if you want a machine that looks pleasing to you.

toti

will rep for food
no 1 has mensioned thta sum 1 bought u it? just cus of u on cam :rolleyes: wel dun lol

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
toti said:
no 1 has mensioned thta sum 1 bought u it? just cus of u on cam :rolleyes: wel dun lol
actually not that this matter but a coworker that i use to date before me and mike got together is buying it for me.

i would say my current budget is around 500.00 but i have to buy things within two months that way 250.00 one month and 250.00 the next month. im a broke ass bitch

500.00 is sufficient? i guess i could do 300.00 and 300.00

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...er supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Retail

i really like this case but i dont like how the usb's are on the bottom

Jung

???
Premium
toti said:
Thanks for adding your shitty reply to an otherwise good thread. :rolleyes:

P.S. Learn to spell.

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
ok now i swear this is the last one i go through

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144012

this is it already bought it. if it sucks oh fucking well. i looked at the reviews it got pretty good reviews. looks easy to work with for my fiirst build.

i knew exactly what i wanted but i couldnt find anything to look like what i wnated.

i wanted ..

1. LCD therm.
2. USB's to be on the top (i play a lot of emulators and tend to use a remote with a short cord)
3. SILVER or CHROME in color
4. SIMPLICITY - i know the first one i picked out wasnt so simple but after looking at it for a while i decided i really hated it.

now i need stuff to put inside it :-/

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
UberSkippy said:
Yea, but it's a case by case (no pun intended) difference. as you can see from my picture, it's got a vent on the side, plus 5 fans (well, ok you cant see the fans). I'd say the average temp of my pc is about 20 degrees Celsius, which comparatively is pretty cool. I also DO show off my computer when I go to LANs...it looks alot more sleek and people take you more seriously if you don't show up with an old beat up Gateway case. Power shortage? Not with a 420 watt power supply. My point? It's relative. If you've got the power and cooling for it, why not?

Jung

???
Premium