WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss Burning Books?

_Kitana_

Angel of Death

Bitch Bucket

Cap'n Carnage
You really think people would learn from the past. No, book burning isn't bad and it doesn't lead to worse things! Burn it all! =D Yeah...sad.

Jung

???
Premium
Stupid irony at it's best.

"Let's BUY a bunch of these books that we don't agree with, and then burn them. Yeah, that'll get our message across."

I'm sure the authors don't mind the mass purchasing of said books. :thumbsup:

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Masses of people smash records in protest, and not to long ago im pretty sure. I find that just as bad as book burning.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Stupid irony at it's best.

"Let's BUY a bunch of these books that we don't agree with, and then burn them. Yeah, that'll get our message across."

I'm sure the authors don't mind the mass purchasing of said books. :thumbsup:
It not even the point. So these people buy up all these book, next what they take books out of the libary, then they buy up paintings and burn them too.

I just don't understand their reasoning. This is exactly what fucking Hitler and the Nazi’s did to purify German literature best. He destroyed all the great books and art that he didn‘t agree with. Then when that didn't satisfy him. He went after the creators, idealist, scientist, engineers and great minds of the world. Till finally he robbed the world of so much. I truly wonder what this world would be like if we never experienced a war like what was perceived in World War II.

Are we going back to this stage? Is this what these people WANT? I may not like Moore, but I would never say to burn his book.

This is the shit that scares me, people judging and passing there judgment where it is not with in their right to do so. They don’t just stop at books, they are burning videos and music CDS as well. Truly are nazi. Cause Hitler and the Nazi killed people for playing certain songs, that went against them. They burned thousand of works of music. Some which the world will never hear again….

Do people not LEARN. Are we going to burn people again…. WHAT ON EARTH. I know they feel they are doing good but what good is coming from burning a book and saying this is how TRUE Christian express their faith.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
LandoverBaptist

Kit, you realize that landover baptist is a joke right? It's made by fanatic haters like me. I'm just mad they came up with the idea before I did. He's the beginning of my favorite one:
Life Sized Satanic Doll Serves As Masturbation Toy For America's Youth
Action Alert!

When Mrs. Tawny Huxton opened her son Timmy's bedroom door, she was shocked to see his innocent white hiney nestled into the new 7ft Jar Jar Binks doll she had bought him for his birthday. Lately, many Americans have suffered similar incidents. Young children are being seduced by the character of George Lucas' latest Star Wars Movie. Jar Jar's soothing voice, and timid childlike manners, seem to lure young teens into a world of lustful abandon. Unsuspecting parents purchase the popular life-size doll, only to find out later that it is being used by the child as a masturbation toy.*

For more: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
"Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together and burned them before all men and they counted the price of them and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed." Acts 19:19-20

The one thing Christians miss when they quote or use the bible for thier purposes is the point of free will. Those who owned books of curios arts burnt them willingly to show thier change from pagan to christian. They were not forced upon it. I get so pissed because everybody misses the point that God gave man free will.

Oh, and by burning Harry Potter books because it will lead to witchcraft, are they not insinuating that witchcraft is real and viable option to christianity?

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Woodreaux said:
Kit, you realize that landover baptist is a joke right? It's made by fanatic haters like me. I'm just mad they came up with the idea before I did. He's the beginning of my favorite one:
Life Sized Satanic Doll Serves As Masturbation Toy For America's Youth
Action Alert!

When Mrs. Tawny Huxton opened her son Timmy's bedroom door, she was shocked to see his innocent white hiney nestled into the new 7ft Jar Jar Binks doll she had bought him for his birthday. Lately, many Americans have suffered similar incidents. Young children are being seduced by the character of George Lucas' latest Star Wars Movie. Jar Jar's soothing voice, and timid childlike manners, seem to lure young teens into a world of lustful abandon. Unsuspecting parents purchase the popular life-size doll, only to find out later that it is being used by the child as a masturbation toy.*

For more: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html
Ok so the first one i linked to is a joke, or i didn't read the sources correctly sorry... link is removed. However the rest are not

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Religion as a marketting tool

In some cases, protests from religious organziations is the best way to advertise. Take the movie Dogma for instance. I didn't even know it was at the theatres until heard about Catholics protesting at the cinima on the openning day.
Then, there the Marilyn Manson concert that a family values group in some town was worried about. The group town preemptively bought out all of the tickets as some as Ticket Master had them. MM was so excited about the ticket sales, (and there were a few days before the next stop), he added a second concert the next night in that same town.
If I didn't know any better, I would think a bunch of entertainers are actually paying church groups to protest them, just to get the publicity!

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Woodreaux said:
In some cases, protests from religious organziations is the best way to advertise. Take the movie Dogma for instance. I didn't even know it was at the theatres until heard about Catholics protesting at the cinima on the openning day.
Then, there the Marilyn Manson concert that a family values group in some town was worried about. The group town preemptively bought out all of the tickets as some as Ticket Master had them. MM was so excited about the ticket sales, (and there were a few days before the next stop), he added a second concert the next night in that same town.
If I didn't know any better, I would think a bunch of entertainers are actually paying church groups to protest them, just to get the publicity!
Catholics who watched Dogma and went against it did not get the message right. The message was that God is infallible, and Forgiving. which is more than I can say for mankind.

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
It not even the point.
Maybe you misunderstood me; that is a valid point, albeit not the one you were trying to make. I was just pointing out how retarded their actions were. Those mass purchases help the authors more than their little temper tantrums hurt them.

Those people are usually thwarted when they start attacking library books and such though. I'm not saying I condone it, but hell, let them keep supporting the authors they're trying to hurt. Nobody really pays them much attention anyway. Fuck them; I won't be bothered to give them the attention they want.

Yes their actions are retarded, but they want controversy. I'm not going to give it to them. All in all, they pose very little threat. So, I'll just laugh at them for a few minutes, then go back about my business.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
You're right those other links disturb the hell outta me. I think banning prayers in school was a little overboard, but the appalling behavior these stories you dug up are exactly why I'm very gratefull for the 1st Amendment.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Woodreaux said:
You're right those other links disturb the hell outta me. I think banning prayers in school was a little overboard, but the appalling behavior these stories you dug up are exactly way I'm very gratefull for the 1st Amendment.

Enjoy it while you can.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
this thing with the book burning is spreading... so you can say they will never reach thier goal but they are getting closer and closer the morepeople that take part in this. The more these people go unnoticed soon you just might fine that they are something to stop and taken notice too...

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
In a way, it's potentially good. If Christian extremists continue to behave like that, it may cause a break in the GOP!

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Reminds me of what the catholic church did to the magnificant statues of the renessaince in the 1800´s. Pope Pius (i believe, correct me if I am wrong) decided that it is immoral to display penile reproductive organs, even if they are on some of the most outstanding artwork ever.. So off to the Vatican he went with his chisel and cut off every single one of these ever so disturbing sculptured male genitalia. Then he put little plastic leaves to the no so very empty torsoes. What a nice guy :)

I believe it was Dan Brown, who in one of hes books pondered if there still are a truckload of marble penises stashed in the archives of Vatican. :)

Catholic church has destroyd a lot of indisensable works of art in their time..

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
People in AA who don't drink anymore call themselves "Recovering Alcholics", I'm a Recovering Catholic.