WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush Administration to Blame for Katrina Disaster?

http://www.selaproject.com/newsroom.htm

http://www.selaprojects.com/faq.htm

Big long quoted article edited out...you'll have to follow the link

...Newhouse News Service, in an article posted late Tuesday night at The Times-Picayune Web site, reported: "No one can say they didn't see it coming. ... Now in the wake of one of the worst storms ever, serious questions are being asked about the lack of preparation."

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness.

You gotta wonder...if SELA hadn't had its funding cut by more than 2/3 over the past three years, would they have been able to complete the Flood Control project in Louisianna in time for Katrina?

Way to go, Bushites...three cheers for the 100bln we spent to invade Iraq and fund secret gestapo police organizations within our own borders.

YAY US!!

Fucking idiots. Chances are we won't see ANY of this in the mainstream media, either.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-08-31-katrina-world_x.htm

As U.S. military engineers struggled to shore up breached levees, experts in the Netherlands expressed surprise that New Orleans' flood systems failed to restrain the raging waters.
With half of the country's population of 16 million living below sea level, the Netherlands prepared for a "perfect storm" soon after floods in 1953 killed 2,000 people. The nation installed massive hydraulic sea walls.

"I don't want to sound overly critical, but it's hard to imagine that (the damage caused by Katrina) could happen in a Western country," said Ted Sluijter, spokesman for the park where the sea walls are exhibited. "It seemed like plans for protection and evacuation weren't really in place, and once it happened, the coordination was on loose hinges."

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
local government could of kicked up some taxes or other revenew generating ventures to help pay for the upgrades... or at least stockpile sanitized emergency water and Food like MRE packs so people have something to eat and drink in the event of a catastrophic disaster...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
canadian_pov said:
This is insane, but not particularly surprising, did Louisiana vote Bush?
LA 2004
Bush (incumbent) - 57%
Kerry - 42%

Darklight said:
local government could of kicked up some taxes or other revenew generating ventures to help pay for the upgrades... or at least stockpile sanitized emergency water and Food like MRE packs so people have something to eat and drink in the event of a catastrophic disaster...
Local government actually did more than their share of providing funds. It just wasn't going to happen without federal funding. Besides...do you honestly think that they could have 'just raised taxes'? No fucking way.
I agree about the stockpiling of supplies...but there's a very good chance that it wouldn't have helped.. have you seen the pictures of the place?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
canadian_pov said:
Then while I hate to say it, they practically brought it on themselves. My heart goes out to the 42%.
well, i'm thinking that 100% of that 57% left town in their bigass suvs with the little W stickers..
i know the republicans have lost houses, jobs, belongings etc as well but at least they're not in there with the insanity of disease and anarchy and sea snakes and hunger and thirst..

this whole thing is fucked and it's time to put aside differences and roll our sleeves up..
git 'er done, as they say here in nashville.

void said:
this whole thing is fucked and it's time to put aside differences and roll our sleeves up..
git 'er done, as they say here in nashville.
Amen to that.
As they say in Toronto, just fucking do it already.

jamesp

In Memory...
Agreed void, fuck the why for now, lets just get those people back in their homes as quickly as possible, and try to make sure that it doenst happen again.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
jamesp said:
Agreed void, fuck the why for now, lets just get those people back in their homes as quickly as possible, and try to make sure that it doenst happen again.
would you go back though? if you had to rebuild and there was no guarantee that it doesn't happen again..
infact, would you buy real estate anywhere down there after this? i'm in nashville and i feel pretty safe, on a hill so i don't flood, tornadoes find it hard to form here, nearest faultline is in memphis (200 miles), it's pretty safe here and i wouldn't like to swop it for a house built on sand..

It wouldn't have been as much of an issue had the levees been built to withstand a worst-case scenario and the funding hadn't been gorged.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
allright, i thought this was another BS thread about how the bush administration was conspiring about something. and i thought you were going to claim that htey had actually created the hurricane

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
WizardlyFriend said:
allright, i thought this was another BS thread about how the bush administration was conspiring about something. and i thought you were going to claim that htey had actually created the hurricane
no, bush's boss did that..

FlipTheState said:
It wouldn't have been as much of an issue had the levees been built to withstand a worst-case scenario and the funding hadn't been gorged.
Yep, he should have taken his cue from the Dutch, who built the largest flood-control project in history. But it isn't as if he gave a damn, he would rather go after the man who tried to kill his daddy. Plus, now he gets to look good on camera saying America will stand strong etc...

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
FlipTheState said:
In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans
If this hole could be filled, I might agree that something could have been done. Proposing anything doesn't mean it happened.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
FlipTheState said:
Local government actually did more than their share of providing funds. It just wasn't going to happen without federal funding. Besides...do you honestly think that they could have 'just raised taxes'? No fucking way.
I agree about the stockpiling of supplies...but there's a very good chance that it wouldn't have helped.. have you seen the pictures of the place?
yes I have seen pics.. but from being in the navy I also know you can protect emergency supplies from everything to just under an atomic blast... short of cuba nuking it, it would survive..

BrIONwoshMunky said:
If this hole could be filled, I might agree that something could have been done. Proposing anything doesn't mean it happened.
Odds on that it did happen, do you think this was a top priority in the budget last year?