WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush Downplays Thompson's Terror Worries

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
AP

WASHINGTON - President Bush played down on Saturday a stark warning from his resigning health chief that the nation's food supply is largely unprotected from terror attack.

Bush said that the government is doing what it can to safeguard the public from threats, but much work remains.

"We're a large country, with all kinds of avenues where somebody could inflict harm," said Bush, asked about the issue after an Oval Office meeting with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf. "We've made a lot of progress in protecting our country, and there's more work to be done, and this administration is committed to doing it."

Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson said in a speech Friday announcing his coming departure from the Bush Cabinet that he worries "every single night" about a possible terror attack on the food supply.

Despite dramatic increases in inspections of food imports, only "a very minute amount" of food is tested at ports and airports, Thompson said.

"For the life of me, I cannot understand why the terrorists have not attacked our food supply because it is so easy to do," Thompson said. "We are importing a lot of food from the Middle East, and it would be easy to tamper with that."

Asked to respond to Thompson's comments, Bush neither criticized them nor implied that the food supply is safer than Thompson asserted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would Thompson do that?

Just a parting shot at Bush, or is there something he knows, that he's trying to warn us about?

msalyss85

Banned - What an Asshat!
Kinda reminds me of those memos he downplayed pre-Sept 11th...HMM :confused:

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Kinda reminds me of those memos he downplayed pre-Sept 11th...HMM
and the previous terrorist attacks we downplayed...

now maybe this is foolish of me, but considering the source, i'm not too concerned at the moment. besides, even if he IS right, what is my worrying going to do about it?

yeah. not a tommy thompson fan. :thumbsdn:

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
The only way I see the US food supply being put in danger is either if terrorists knock out hoover dam or develop a new aborial disease that will cause a corn, wheat, soybean, etc. epidemic. You can't take out the food supply by ramming planes into cornfields.

ReiMeishin said:
The only way I see the US food supply being put in danger is either if terrorists knock out hoover dam or develop a new aborial disease that will cause a corn, wheat, soybean, etc. epidemic. You can't take out the food supply by ramming planes into cornfields.
i doubt that thompson was concerned about terrorists ramming planes into cornfields. read his statement... it concerns food that is imported from the middle east. :mfinger:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I think we sometimes forget that we have plenty of domestic terrorism, perpetrated by Americans that have nothing to do with any foreign group such as al-quida.
As a matter of fact there have been more acts of terrorism on our soil, committed by American citizens against their own.

Oklahoma City - Bombing :bomb:

Waco - Psycho bible thumpers :D

Columbine - Picked on kids strike back, (Too much play station)

Kent State University - Army reserve guns down unarmed students. :gun: (nice way to treat a double amputee)