WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush on C-Span Speaking about new energy sources

breakology

Kiss my Converse
So I am home on lunch, watching a bit of C-Span because Bush is on there talking about about new energy sources, energy research, etc ...

Anyway, I caught in the speech that he plans to propose a $4000 dollor tax credit to americans who purchase a hybrid vehicle. i am all for that if they can be produced at a price where the average american can afford one.
Now he went and fucked up it all by saying we should be more like france and invest in nuclear energy as well. :thumbsdn:

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
breakology said:
So I am home on lunch, watching a bit of C-Span because Bush is on there talking about about new energy sources, energy research, etc ...

Anyway, I caught in the speech that he plans to propose a $4000 dollor tax credit to americans who purchase a hybrid vehicle. i am all for that if they can be produced at a price where the average american can afford one.
Now he went and fucked up it all by saying we should be more like france and invest in nuclear energy as well. :thumbsdn:
Don't you believe any of it. Bush was born and raised on oil. He has no interest in alternative energy sources. It's all lip service. He didn't do anything last term, and this one will be no different...

Oh, and fucking it up is his specialty!

Ciprus9110

The 'Handi-cop'
Well the deal is, is that he just wants to boost his approval rating, as he needs to. It's great that hes offering incentives to buy cleaner cars , but investing in nuclear energey is a bad move. Nuclear energy just has to many problems, and entirley not cost effective, plus the possibility of Cherynobl all over again. :(

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Ciprus9110 said:
Well the deal is, is that he just wants to boost his approval rating, as he needs to.
I breifly thought the same thing, but then I said why? it's not like he is up for re-election (thank god)

Descent

Hella Constipated
breakology said:

Nuclear energy has been very safe ever since the mid-90's. The Chernobyl and Three Mile Island incidents were caused by Generation II reactors, which never had foolproof safety mechanisms. The only Generation III reactors are present in Japan, and have had zero problems since they were created in 1996. Better safety machanisms are implemented in Generation III reactors, and they are overall less mechanical and more electrical, which does lead to more safety. In other words the safety mechanisms are much more solid-state.

Generation IV reactors are said to be even more promising - featuring better implementations of Generation III designs. Furthermore,
TMI-1 (Three Mile Island Reactor 1) was named one of the world's most effecient reactors. TMI-2's failure was caused by a poorly engineered monitoring system.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
It's not so much the concern for potential for accidents as the concern about the type of waste that is produced and the methods of disposal.
I have seen tape of corporate ships dumping barrels of toxic waste overboard into the ocean. They don't even try to hide it sometimes, the government fines them the $300,000 or whatever it is, and they end up saving money because the cost of proper waste disposal is 10 times the cost of the fine.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Well break, the US have 2 main sources of energy, nuclear and coal. Both pollute as hell :(

Here in Quebec we have lots of rivers and we use Hydro power.

In the states you can't really use hydro power because the hydro potential is quite low.. I say you should invest in solar energy.