WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush opposes 'legacy' college admissions

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Friday he opposes the use of a family history at colleges or universities as a factor in determining admission.

Bush stated his position to what's known as "legacy" in response to a question during a Washington forum for minority journalists called Unity 2004.

He was asked, "Colleges should get rid of legacy?"

Bush responded, "Well I think so, yes. I think it ought to be based upon merit."

Under legacy programs, applicants are given an advantage if their parents or grandparents attended the school. Bush, a third-generation graduate of Yale University, joked about his own legacy.

"Well, in my case, I had to knock on a lot of doors to follow the old man's footsteps," he said to laughter.

Bush's remark came as he was being grilled about his opposition to affirmative action programs that consider race as a factor for admission, particularly through quota systems.

Bush said admission should be based "on merit."

Bush has not previously expressed opposition to the use of family lineage at a university to help admission.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure being a third generation to join the University had "nothing" to do with his getting in to Yale.

Maybe he got in solely based on his drinking skills...

What a joke, it's ok for his family, but don't you do it...peasant..

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
Hell, he practically got his presidency based on a legacy.

Pachyderm

I really did.
I also think it should be based on merit, and legacy should not be a factor. Even with the legacy on George's side, it's hard to imagine how he could have gotten into Yale. Even though Bush got into college through the legacy of his father, I am not offended by the fact that he wants to change it. People are aloud to contradict/change their mind themselves when they are aware of it. But it does suck that he has used that himself and opposes it for everyone else....

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
I think he was referring to public schools/universities.Yale is a privately owned institution, big difference.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
GottaHurt said:
I think he was referring to public schools/universities.Yale is a privately owned institution, big difference.
Nope, they never mention public or private, they asked him about whether "Colleges should get rid of legacy".

morelos

lexicon incognito
right. public schools, by law, can't have 'legacy' even though they do.

ahhh, de jure vs de facto.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
voiceofreason said:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Friday he opposes the use of a family history at colleges or universities as a factor in determining admission.

Bush stated his position to what's known as "legacy" in response to a question during a Washington forum for minority journalists called Unity 2004.

He was asked, "Colleges should get rid of legacy?"

Bush responded, "Well I think so, yes. I think it ought to be based upon merit."

Under legacy programs, applicants are given an advantage if their parents or grandparents attended the school. Bush, a third-generation graduate of Yale University, joked about his own legacy.

"Well, in my case, I had to knock on a lot of doors to follow the old man's footsteps," he said to laughter.

Bush's remark came as he was being grilled about his opposition to affirmative action programs that consider race as a factor for admission, particularly through quota systems.

Bush said admission should be based "on merit."

Bush has not previously expressed opposition to the use of family lineage at a university to help admission.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure being a third generation to join the University had "nothing" to do with his getting in to Yale.

Maybe he got in solely based on his drinking skills...

What a joke, it's ok for his family, but don't you do it...peasant..
No no no, of course Bush got in on his merit alone. That's why he graduated with a C- average...

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
President Dubya Bush said:
"Well, in my case, I had to knock on a lot of doors to follow the old man's footsteps."
I think I'll take this quote outta context and publish it everywhere I can. :)