WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush Proposal to eliminate overtime pay

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Overtime Pay Under Attack
Sources: Ruters, CNN, AFL
As early as March 2004, President George W. Bush could take away working people's hard-fought 40-hour workweek and overtime pay—with no meaningful increased flexibility to help workers balance demands of jobs and family.

Under the Bush proposal to change the Fair Labor Standards Act, some 8 million workers, including police officers, nurses, store supervisors and many other workers, would face unpredictable work schedules and reduced pay because of an increased demand for extra hours for which employers would not have to compensate workers, according to an Economic Policy Institute report.

The Bush proposal also could take away overtime pay protections for America's military veterans.

Since the U.S. Department of Labor announced the proposed rule changes in March 2003, the Labor Department already has been advising employers how to avoid paying overtime to low-income workers who may gain eligibility under the rule, according to an Associated Press report.

In January 2004, Bush and Senate Republican leaders killed a filibuster against a massive spending bill that included an amendment to block the overtime pay protection attack. The amendment protecting workers’ overtime previously had been approved by the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives.

Tell Bush that working families count on overtime pay and oppose changes to overtime that would mean more work and less pay for working families.

Under the Bush overtime scheme:

- Millions of salaried workers making between $22,101 and $65,000 who now are eligible to receive overtime pay could be reclassified as executives or administrative or professional employees—and would no longer qualify for overtime pay.
- Relatively low-salary earners who have supervisory responsibilities or management-related responsibilities would be penalized, as would workers with advanced education or specialized training. Some of the jobs affected are police, firefighters, nurses, retail managers, insurance claims adjusters and medical therapists.
- ployees not covered by the new rules also could be hurt: By reclassifying many of their workers as exempt from overtime pay, employers most likely would assign overtime only to them and eliminate overtime for other workers.
- Police and firefighters are among those potentially affected.
Anyone making $65,000 or more a year likely would lose overtime pay, effectively eliminating many middle-income wage earners’ much-needed extra pay.

----------------------------------------------

This is yet another one of Bush's ways to spit in the face of those who work for a living. If you value your overtime, or worse; if your family's livelihood depends on the extra income you get from overtime to make ends meet. I urge you to be active in your government and let Bush, your local and state legislators, and the labor department, know how you feel.
If you belong to a Union, get in touch with your shop stewart or union rep, and find out how this may effect you.

Links:
Tell bush What you think of this proposal

Sign the petition to save your right to overtime pay

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
MaxPower said:
Overtime Pay Under Attack
Sources: Ruters, CNN, AFL
As early as March 2004, President George W. Bush could take away working people's hard-fought 40-hour workweek and overtime pay—with no meaningful increased flexibility to help workers balance demands of jobs and family.

Links:
Tell bush What you think of this proposal

Sign the petition to save your right to overtime pay
Geez; I am glad it's not March 2004 Yet. No doubt the man just trying to hold Broken down.

Consider that petition signed. I do depend on my overtime and this is the first i have heard of it. What is he really going to accomplish with this shit? This is an outrage. As time progresses it seems more and more as if it is the rich against the poor. I guess that bastard would only like to vivify as such. As if he couldn’t create enough hatred around the world he must also bring it home.

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
Fucking waaaa! Stop yer cryin ya sissies! There is a war on! i thought that you all supported the troops! They don't get paid overtime! Granted, they do get paid for getting shot at, But hell you are crying about overtime? Shut up ya damn meat-sticks! If you depend on your over time you need to re-think your budget! Rich against the poor, dont you people realize that even if he did tax the shit out of the rich that they would just raise the damn price of whatever it is that they sold to get rich in the first place? OH! NO SHIT, HUH? Some of you need to rattle out those brain housing groups of yours and see if you cant get the light to focus better, maybe then you can see it!

For fucks sake, do you really think that kerry is going to tax rich families? He has his income provided by the HEINZ family! you think he isn't enjoying that nice little tax break? SO, you think that he has the moral fiber to stand up and give money back to all of you sniveling bitches? WAKE THE FUCK UP! By the way, if you want a bigger tax break, get a better paying job! WOW. you people never fail to impress me. :mfinger:

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Does that law only apply to salaried workers? I did'nt see any mention of how it would effect hourly workers. Either way, still bullshit ... sounds like another republican plan to line the pockets of the "corporate foundation of america"

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
edub1371 said:
Fucking waaaa! Stop yer cryin ya sissies! There is a war on! i thought that you all supported the troops! They don't get paid overtime! Granted, they do get paid for getting shot at, But hell you are crying about overtime? Shut up ya damn meat-sticks! If you depend on your over time you need to re-think your budget! Rich against the poor, dont you people realize that even if he did tax the shit out of the rich that they would just raise the damn price of whatever it is that they sold to get rich in the first place? OH! NO SHIT, HUH? Some of you need to rattle out those brain housing groups of yours and see if you cant get the light to focus better, maybe then you can see it!

For fucks sake, do you really think that kerry is going to tax rich families? He has his income provided by the HEINZ family! you think he isn't enjoying that nice little tax break? SO, you think that he has the moral fiber to stand up and give money back to all of you sniveling bitches? WAKE THE FUCK UP! By the way, if you want a bigger tax break, get a better paying job! WOW. you people never fail to impress me. :mfinger:
Trust me, I have a plenty good paying job, and I'm on salery. So no overtime for me anyway. I'm sure a lot of people out there would like a better paying job. Too bad unemployment has been up since Bush has been in office, huh?

breakology

Kiss my Converse
edub1371 said:
i thought that you all supported the troops! They don't get paid overtime! Granted, they do get paid for getting shot at

LOLLLL!!! (again) you mean that extra $225 I get a month (fucking joke) yea, having half a dozen rockets hit my FOB daily is really worth the money! Woot! how do I spend it all!

Fucking spare me the attempt of you trying to use soldiers to make your weak ass argument. Soldiers are already underpaid as-is. You wanna know how I can justify that statement? Fucking easy .... my civilian counterpart, from northup-gruman, who I fucking helped TRAIN on various ABCS systems, makes about $80-$90,000 a year. The army has no issues shelling out the cash to those contractors who can afford pay that to their techs, meanwhile they vote to cut combat pay and family seperation pay for deployed soldiers. That makes alotta fucking sense, right? Oh and Soldiers, don't forget to think the gov for that 3.5% raise this year! Maybe I can get that new car now, with the big raise I am getting I should be able to afford a 90's model at least.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
do the extra L's in lol mean extra words begining with L or is it that you were lol'ing so hard that the last L got streched out four times as long?
This guy (edub) is obviously one of those kids who's looking for an arguement, hes never in agreement with the op. Nothing wrong with it, i just see you guys getting bent out of shape over it, and i've discovered his true motives...like batman...or an insurance claims investigator...which ever one has the biggest penis.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
bigck3000 said:
do the extra L's in lol mean extra words begining with L or is it that you were lol'ing so hard that the last L got streched out four times as long?
it means a llllllot!! :p

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Bush law's are bullshit, simple as that.

Jung

???
Premium
This is actually a type of tax break for employers, because FICA makes employers match the tax, so at overtime rates employers have to pay more FICA tax on their employees. However this will never fly. The unions will not put up with this and they have far more power than us "ordinary" citizens. I did sign the petition and send the e-mail protest. Not that W will read it since it could be his last days in office.

Jung

???
Premium
bigck3000 said:
This guy (edub) is obviously one of those kids who's looking for an arguement, hes never in agreement with the op. Nothing wrong with it, i just see you guys getting bent out of shape over it, and i've discovered his true motives...like batman...or an insurance claims investigator...which ever one has the biggest penis.

I agree, he's obviously just trolling. Put his ass on ignore and be done with the ignorance he's spewing.;)

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
breakology said:
LOLLLL!!! (again) you mean that extra $225 I get a month (fucking joke) yea, having half a dozen rockets hit my FOB daily is really worth the money! Woot! how do I spend it all!

Fucking spare me the attempt of you trying to use soldiers to make your weak ass argument. Soldiers are already underpaid as-is. You wanna know how I can justify that statement? Fucking easy .... my civilian counterpart, from northup-gruman, who I fucking helped TRAIN on various ABCS systems, makes about $80-$90,000 a year. The army has no issues shelling out the cash to those contractors who can afford pay that to their techs, meanwhile they vote to cut combat pay and family seperation pay for deployed soldiers. That makes alotta fucking sense, right? Oh and Soldiers, don't forget to think the gov for that 3.5% raise this year! Maybe I can get that new car now, with the big raise I am getting I should be able to afford a 90's model at least.

Yeah, no shit! thats what i was talking about! I know exactly what you mean and by the way thanks for making the second part of my arguement for me!

Third point, which you would've eventually come around to anyway. People are crying about losing overtime pay. When was the last time that you as a soldier were paid overtime? If not losing overtime, then they are crying about unemployment. I don't think that the military would turn most people away. If you are unemployed, go enlist! If you aren't willing to do that, then you just aren't hungry enough I guess. Can't pay for an education? Go and join up! They will pay for it for you. Granted, it's quite likely that you will be shot at at some point. But that isn't anything that breakology, myself, or tens of thousands of Americans haven't done before!

--New talking point!: Maybe the economy is sooooo bad because they are trying to get people to join up! Look out everyone! its a draft by economy! :mfinger: JACK ASSES!

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
hmmmmmmm with this close of an election and this close to the end I doubt that Bush would do something that would upset so MANY people.....have to question the source or the misunderstanding of this? Since it is a magior issue and the first i heard of it is on a message board.

Thanks for pointing it out Max. I will look more into it.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
edub1371 said:
--New talking point!: Maybe the economy is sooooo bad because they are trying to get people to join up! Look out everyone! its a draft by economy! :mfinger: JACK ASSES!

You know what? that statement actually coincides with one of my "crazy theories" about the government. They want everyone who is'nt wealthy to either be on welfare or in the military.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
_Kitana_ said:
hmmmmmmm with this close of an election and this close to the end I doubt that Bush would do something that would upset so MANY people.....have to question the source or the misunderstanding of this? Since it is a magior issue and the first i heard of it is on a message board.

Thanks for pointing it out Max. I will look more into it.
I believe this OT proposition already passed, no?
...like back in June or July...or something?

Yah. I'm pretty sure.
Anyone know for sure?