WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush reelection website blocked outside US

Jung

???
Premium
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3958665.stm

Bush website blocked outside US

Surfers outside the US have been unable to visit the official re-election site of President George W Bush.

The blocking of browsers sited outside the US began in the early hours of Monday morning.

Since then people outside the US trying to browse the site get a message saying they are not authorised to view it.

The blocking does not appear to be due to an attack by vandals or malicious hackers, but as a result of a policy decision by the Bush camp.

Traffic control

The international exclusion zone around georgewbush.com was spotted by net monitoring firm Netcraft which keeps an eye on traffic patterns across many different sites.

Netcraft said that since the early hours of 25 October attempts to view the site through its monitoring stations in London, Amsterdam and Sydney failed.

By contrast Netcraft's four monitoring stations in the US managed to view the site with no problems.

The site can still be seen using anonymous proxy services that are based in the US. Some web users in Canada also report that they can browse the site.

The pattern of traffic to the website suggests that the blocking was not due to an attack by vandals or politically motivated hackers.

Geographic blocking works because the numerical addresses that the net uses to organise itself are handed out on a regional basis.

On 21 October, the George W Bush website began using the services of a company called Akamai to ensure that the pages, videos and other content on its site reaches visitors.

Mike Prettejohn, president of Netcraft, speculated that the blocking decision might have been taken to cut costs, and traffic, in the run-up to the election on 2 November.

He said the site may see no reason to distribute content to people who will not be voting next week.

Managing traffic could also be a good way to ensure that the site stays working in the closing days of the election campaign.

However, simply blocking non-US visitors also means that Americans overseas are barred too.

Akamai declined to comment, saying it could not talk about customer websites.
fucking lame.

You're not missing much. Notice the shit talking stuff at the bottom about John Kerry. There is actually a freakin game you can play called the Flip Flop Olympics. I wonder if John Kerry's website has a game called Fucking Bumbling Idiot Olympics about Bush. If not, it should. Also just for the record, I made one small mod to the image of the site that is editorial and not intended to trick anyone.

Jung

???
Premium
Nice way to post a huge image and break the forum tables. Anyone that wanted to see the site could just use a proxy from inside the U.S.

Oh I know. Breaking the forum tables causes damage and is inexcusable. On the other hand, eat a dick. Never the less, I redid the image so that it wasn't so big since you must be still be on 800 x 600 *scoff*.

You might want to post instructions on how to use a proxy from inside the US since most of us probably aren't Network Administrators.

Jung

???
Premium
princeton said:
Oh I know. Breaking the forum tables causes damage and is inexcusable. On the other hand, eat a dick. Never the less, I redid the image so that it wasn't so big since you must be still be on 800 x 600 *scoff*.

You might want to post instructions on how to use a proxy from inside the US since most of us probably aren't Network Administrators.
I run 1280 x 1024, the forum tables are much smaller than that though. It's just annoying to have a pic larger than the forum tables. If you want to use a proxy you
for anonymous proxies then exter it into your broswer. I assume you use IE *scoff* so the setting would be in the internet connection options under LAN settings, then proxy(oddly enough).

Here is a pic of what I meant by breaking the tables. (click for full size pic)

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
princeton said:

Endmedia.net Proxy tutorial (Equal opportunity browser version.)

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
bigck3000 said:
allright boys, deflate your penises, its just the internet.
May I remind you the internet is chock full-o-penises?

breakology

Kiss my Converse
MaxPower said:
May I remind you the internet is chock full-o-penises?
Completly useless and off topic reply: Like one of these ... 8=====D ... ? :p