WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush Reverses Himself, Says Terror War Can Be Won

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) - One day after saying the war on terror could not be won, President Bush on Tuesday sought to calm a political storm by asserting he had been less than articulate and that America would prevail.

As he prepared to address the Republican Party convention in New York later this week, Bush found himself on the defensive over an issue that is central to the campaign for the Nov. 2 presidential election.

Bush's Democratic challenger, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, took aim at the president's comment in an interview on Monday suggesting the war on terror was not winnable.

In an interview broadcast on NBC's "Today" show, Bush was asked if the war on terrorism would ever be won.

"I don't think you can win it," he replied. "But I think you can create conditions so that those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WE CAN'T WIN
WE CAN WIN
WHERE AM I?

Classic Bush...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
wouldn't that be considered "Flip-Flopping"?

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
"fool me once..." ..."shame on yyo...mmm.. you..."..."fool me ttwice...sh...shame on ..shame on me.."......"where am i???"

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I believe that when he said that it cannot be won it was in the context that it isn't a conventional war... there isn't one group versus another group.. it is people against terrorism and all the terrorist groups... there isn't a uniformed opposition military... there is no opposition leader that is gonna agree to a cease fire... there isn't really anyone to throw in the white towel... there will always be terrorists in one way or another... just like the "war on Drugs" you will never completely rid the country of drugs... but if you don't do your best to try to anyways there could be huge problems that grow way outta control...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
DanGeo23 said:
I believe that when he said that it cannot be won it was in the context that it isn't a conventional war... there isn't one group versus another group.. it is people against terrorism and all the terrorist groups... there isn't a uniformed opposition military... there is no opposition leader that is gonna agree to a cease fire... there isn't really anyone to throw in the white towel... there will always be terrorists in one way or another... just like the "war on Drugs" you will never completely rid the country of drugs... but if you don't do your best to try to anyways there could be huge problems that grow way outta control...
See? Now why doesn't Bush keep you around? You always seem to know what he means even when he doesn't. :thumbsup:

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
there is so much irrational Bush bashing that I constantly feel like I am defending him... although I too may not agree with the way some things are done... or I realize that you can't blame the Prez for everything....

lynduhland

Prone to Bad Karma
sigh i knew i should have voted when bush was running :p blaming my lazy ass for the one vote maybe it would have made a differece :D

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
DanGeo23 said:
there is so much irrational Bush bashing that I constantly feel like I am defending him... although I too may not agree with the way some things are done... or I realize that you can't blame the Prez for everything....
No not for everything. The new "No head in the oval office" rule was bill clintons fault. He fucked it up for all of us.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
MaxPower said:
No not for everything. The new "No head in the oval office" rule was bill clintons fault. He fucked it up for all of us.
Ya see Max,

If it's a Democrat in office, EVERYTHING is the President's fault. But if it's Republican in office, we can't blame him for EVERYTHING...

And in this case it's probably true, because he isn't actually making any decisions, they are being made as others. As previous members of his inner circle have stated, Bush is distracted, asks no questions, and often has little or no interest in what was being in high level briefings. Why would he...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
vor said:
If it's a Democrat in office, EVERYTHING is the President's fault. But if it's Republican in office, we can't blame him for EVERYTHING...
not me...I wasn't a member of this site during the BC years... so I can't say..."look at my record"... but I was never one that blamed all the countries problems on one person...
vor said:
As previous members of his inner circle have stated
just curious... who said that

The facts

It is a generally held opinion that in fact conservative presidents receive more criticism. This is I believe true, although conservatives would be more likely to say that going against the president is unpatriotic, as they generally have greater confidence in righteousness of America, leading to the feeling some here have had that you cant criticize bush. However, this is just a feeling, he has been utterly pounded the last year or so, I've never seen anything like it. So you CAN criticize him as a ton of popular figures have done.

Next, the issue at hand, Kerry is using rhetoric, a one liner like "the war on terror can't be won says bush" goes well with modern methods of telecommunicating. Later, Bush just responds to the rhetoric. It shows the state of politics to attack Bush on saying what he did. Frankly, do you think one day the terrorists will just give up and we will say, "we won the war on terror"? Of course not, Bush put it well later when he said something to the effect of, "what I was trying to say was that this is not a war like we have fought before, it will not end in a formally signed peace treaty".

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
not me...I wasn't a member of this site during the BC years... so I can't say..."look at my record"... but I was never one that blamed all the countries problems on one person...
just curious... who said that
Paul O'Neill, Treasury Secretary

At cabinet meetings, he says the president was "like a blind man in a roomful of deaf people. There is no discernible connection," forcing top officials to act "on little more than hunches about what the president might think."

Check out his new book: The Price of Loyalty

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
you mean the guy that was fired has something negative to say about his former boss... no way...

good job pluggin the book though.. he should give you a cut... :thumbsup:

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
you mean the guy that was fired has something negative to say about his former boss... no way...

good job pluggin the book though.. he should give you a cut... :thumbsup:
Right, no on ever gets fired because of management incompetence. Perhaps, there was a "lack of cohesion on fiscal policy" because "the president was "like a blind man in a roomful of deaf people"...

I don't need to plug his book, you asked for the source, and I provided you with the info.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Right, no on ever gets fired because of management incompetence
but everyone that gets fired blames someone other than themselves... usually their boss...

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
but everyone that gets fired blames someone other than themselves... usually their boss...
That is your opinion. Not everyone is dishonest.

Seems no matter what people say about Bush, you're there to defend him. How much is he paying you?

Do you think everyone who has a negative opinion of him is a liar? Couldn't "someone" be telling the truth...or are you sure he's some sort of God?

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
VOR said:
Do you think everyone who has a negative opinion of him is a liar? Couldn't "someone" be telling the truth...or are you sure he's some sort of God?
absolutely not... by the same token.. the many highly decorated vietnam veterans that spoke out were all dismissed as liars by the Kerry campaign and most of the media... only Kerry told the truth..

I do not like the way the war in Iraq is going... but I do not blame the Prez entirely... I blame this PC world we live in.. I blame the ROE that the soldiers are given so as not to offend anyone... when it should be a "ask... tell... shoot... " policy.. ask someone to do something.. "please stop there" ... tell.. "Stop"... they keep going shoot warning shot... shoot to kill...
I feel we shoulda surrounded cities like Falujha (sp) with our military .... set up a tent city about 5 miles away... and ask the people to leave the city.. tell them we have shelter/food and other provisions for them... and give them a timeline.. makesure they know that anyone left in the city will be considered an enemy combatant... go in wipe out the insurgents...
of course there are lots of things that I haven't detailed that would have to be taken into account.. but it would save our soldiers lives...
this would offend the PC world and we would be viewed as more oppressive.. but an Iraqi self governing democratic nation would be achieved sooner.. in my opinion..

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
absolutely not... by the same token.. the many highly decorated vietnam veterans that spoke out were all dismissed as liars by the Kerry campaign and most of the media... only Kerry told the truth..

I do not like the way the war in Iraq is going... but I do not blame the Prez entirely... I blame this PC world we live in.. I blame the ROE that the soldiers are given so as not to offend anyone... when it should be a "ask... tell... shoot... " policy.. ask someone to do something.. "please stop there" ... tell.. "Stop"... they keep going shoot warning shot... shoot to kill...
I feel we shoulda surrounded cities like Falujha (sp) with our military .... set up a tent city about 5 miles away... and ask the people to leave the city.. tell them we have shelter/food and other provisions for them... and give them a timeline.. makesure they know that anyone left in the city will be considered an enemy combatant... go in wipe out the insurgents...
of course there are lots of things that I haven't detailed that would have to be taken into account.. but it would save our soldiers lives...
this would offend the PC world and we would be viewed as more oppressive.. but an Iraqi self governing democratic nation would be achieved sooner.. in my opinion..
It's a lovely story, and you tell it so well, with such enthusiasm, but riddle me this,

WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE DOING THERE?