WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Bush suffers in polls post-Katrina

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's image suffered in public opinion polls taken after Hurricane Katrina hit the U.S. Gulf Coast, with some finding growing doubts about his leadership and the country's direction.

After a week of criticism for a slow response to the devastation caused by Katrina, polls released on Thursday registered drops in Bush's approval ratings and in confidence in his leadership.

A Pew Research Center poll found 67 percent of Americans believed Bush could have done more to speed up relief efforts, and just 28 percent believed he did all he could. His approval rating slipped to 40 percent, down four points since July to the lowest point Pew has recorded.

The Pew poll also found a shift in public priorities after Katrina caused a jump in gasoline prices last week, with a majority saying for the first time since the September 11, 2001, attacks that it was more important for Bush to focus on domestic policy than the war on terrorism.

"Americans are depressed, angry and very worried about the economic consequences of the disaster," said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew poll.

LINK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, he did what he always does in the face of tragedy - he becomes paralyzed.

What did he expect?

Take a look at that picture, he gets more simian everyday. Wouldn't you just love to rabbit punch that face?

Well no fucking shit, it isn't as if all the other hurricane threads mentioned this or anything...
But seriously, it's too bad it didn't happen in '04 instead...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
canadian_pov said:
Well no fucking shit, it isn't as if all the other hurricane threads mentioned this or anything...
But seriously, it's too bad it didn't happen in '04 instead...
i don't wish it had happened last year instead, and we shouldn't need a disaster to get rid of the idiot..

I have to laugh everytime some media outlet says something about "67 percent of Americans". Oh yeah? I was never asked, and I am an American. I asked my friends if they were asked, and guess what, they weren't either... they are also Americans. I think I found out how to become one that gets asked... awhile ago I wrote to a local newspaper regarding some stuff about traffic on the freeways. They called me and asked me some stuff and quoted (wrongly and out of context no less) in an article. I was told I was to be put on a perminant source list, whatever that is. Well, they kept calling me and asking me things relating to traffic and freeways, and would publish poll results based on what they asked. I determined they only called me because they know what answer I will give................

so yeah.... polls.... percentages of certain populations..... yyyyeeeaaahhhhh.... I believe them.....sssuuuurrreee.....

voiceofreason said:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's image suffered in public opinion polls taken after Hurricane Katrina hit the U.S. Gulf Coast, with some finding growing doubts about his leadership and the country's direction.

After a week of criticism for a slow response to the devastation caused by Katrina, polls released on Thursday registered drops in Bush's approval ratings and in confidence in his leadership.

A Pew Research Center poll found 67 percent of Americans believed Bush could have done more to speed up relief efforts, and just 28 percent believed he did all he could. His approval rating slipped to 40 percent, down four points since July to the lowest point Pew has recorded.

The Pew poll also found a shift in public priorities after Katrina caused a jump in gasoline prices last week, with a majority saying for the first time since the September 11, 2001, attacks that it was more important for Bush to focus on domestic policy than the war on terrorism.

"Americans are depressed, angry and very worried about the economic consequences of the disaster," said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew poll.

LINK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, he did what he always does in the face of tragedy - he becomes paralyzed.

What did he expect?

Take a look at that picture, he gets more simian everyday. Wouldn't you just love to rabbit punch that face?

void said:
i don't wish it had happened last year instead, and we shouldn't need a disaster to get rid of the idiot..

Obviously, I'd rather that it hadn't happened at all, but it doesn't help get rid of him if he doesn't run again.
After reconsidering, this disaster would have been better timed if it had happened a month before the start of the war in Iraq.

ericman123

CEO of the internet
Look at it this way. Due to his complete bungling of this, and many other situations, he will go down in history as the only president worse then Nixon and Ronald Reagan combined. Go figure that they're all Republican.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Bush accepts 'full responsibility' for Katrina failures

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Staff and agencies
Tuesday September 13, 2005

[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]George Bush today said he took "full responsibility" for government failures in dealing with Hurricane Katrina.
The US president said the disaster had raised broader questions about the government's ability to respond to natural disasters as well as terror attacks. "Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government," Mr Bush said at a joint White House news conference with Jalal Talabani, the president of Iraq.
"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," he said.

The remarks were Mr Bush's fullest admission yet over the much-criticised sluggish early response to the disaster.
He was asked whether people should be worried about the government's ability to handle another terrorist attack given its failures in responding to Katrina and, notably, did not give any unequivocal assurances. "Are we capable of dealing with a severe attack? That's a very important question, and it's in the national interest that we find out what went on so we can better respond," he said. Mr Bush, who on Thursday addresses the American people from Louisiana in a televised speech about the hurricane, repeated his previously stated intention to find out "what went right and what went wrong".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/katrina/story/0,16441,1569157,00.html
[/FONT]

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
..and I thought you could never top Reagan. silly me.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Ummm, yeah, well, he did cut funds to levee projects in New Orleans in June of this year, so yes, he does have a lot of blood on his hands...:sword: