Headlines Cadaver Research Ethically Righteous?

Rebel89

So-Cham
For hundreds of years, human anatomy has been quite an interest within the minds of scientists. Now for the most part, we have explored the human body from the outside to the deepest and darkest depths of the inside. Yes, we may know what happens to your body in every day life, but what about what happens in the most unusual and deadly of situations? Well, that’s where cadaver research comes in.

Have you ever pondered as to how they test bulletproof vests? Or to what extent is a particular car tested for injuries in collisions? Or how scientists are so knowledgeable about human decomposure? Well such questions are easily answered with this one term, cadaver research. Obviously they're not taking the idiots of society and using them for such research, as much as I would desire so, they are using your relatives and more than likely used your ancestors (wether it be against thier will or not). Now I have noticed that when this particular topic is written about, it is easily blown out of proportion, due to the fact that they use the deceased to perform "experiments" upon. The main benefactor is society due to the fact that our deceased ultimatly sacrifce thier physical selves to contribute to such studies like "The Anatomy of a Bullet" and/or "The Anatomy of a Motor Vehicle Collision". The question I pose to you, the currnet viewer, is wether or not this is ethical in all aspects.

T.I.L. :bomb:

dull_bullet

Lay out!
um...for abullet proof vest testing they just fire a bullet att he vest and see if it goes through, and injuries in collisions are done with crash test dummies, and human decomposure you can see just by looking at a dead body, that doesn't really require to research it...

FireAngel

Schmexy
As long as the people volunteered their bodies in life it is okay. If their bodies can be used to improve human life today then it's a good thing, to a certain extent. I don't approve of them using the bodies without permission from the family or written approval from the deceased before they died.

Jung

???
Premium
Cadavers are NOT used for a single thing that you listed. They're used for medical and scientific research...

Why would ethics be an issue? These people willfully donated their bodies to science, that research is in the best interest of everyone. I think people just like to make a big deal about trivial things so they'll have something to say.

Rebel89

So-Cham
dull_bullet said:
um...for abullet proof vest testing they just fire a bullet att he vest and see if it goes through, and injuries in collisions are done with crash test dummies, and human decomposure you can see just by looking at a dead body, that doesn't really require to research it...

Wrong.......for a more indepth look at all of those "things" they use cadavers.

-The University of Tennesee acually has a facility that is solely dedicated to researching human decay in various situations (I.E. Dead body: in a pond, encased in concrete, in bushes, in tree groves, and in a concealed envorioment).

-Cadavers are acually used to define human injury in many various motor vehicle collisions. Crash test dummies may be shaped the same as a human body, but don't contain the organs a human does.

-Bullets will compress the material that is used in bulletproof tests, there for causing lung lacerations, can you really learn that from just shooting at it? Also if you were to just shoot at a bullet proof vest you most likely wouldn't get the same results that you would if you were to use a human cadaver.

Rebel89

So-Cham
junglizm said:
Cadavers are NOT used for a single thing that you listed. They're used for medical and scientific research...

Why would ethics be an issue? These people willfully donated their bodies to science, that research is in the best interest of everyone. I think people just like to make a big deal about trivial things so they'll have something to say.

Acually yes they are. I would rather NOT write the exerpt from the book I am currently reading (Stiff by Mary Roach.....I highly reccomend this book). Now if you would like to take that upon youself, be my guest. Also, in the earlier times "fresh" bodies were stripped from thier burial and used for anatomy research. If you perfer to be politicly correct, then yes it is scientific and medical research.

Rebel89

So-Cham
tiger_86 said:
As long as the people volunteered their bodies in life it is okay. If their bodies can be used to improve human life today then it's a good thing, to a certain extent. I don't approve of them using the bodies without permission from the family or written approval from the deceased before they died.

If I remember correctly, it is acually the family of the cadaver that decides wether or not the body is used for cadaver research.

MaxPower

Sweep the leg
Staff
Who cares (In my opinion) what they use them for. They're just dead meat. Anyone who donates their bodies feels the same way. Even if one feels that the body at one time contained a soul, as some of us do; the soul has long since crossed over. There is no longer any use for the body, but to serve as food for lower organisms, a test bed for a new 7.62X39 round, or a platform for teaching future medical staff.

As for people who follow faiths that believe the body must be prepared and/or treated in certain ways in order for them to traverse to the after life; they would never donate the cadaver in the first place.

Jung

???
Premium
Rebel89 said:
Acually yes they are. I would rather NOT write the exerpt from the book I am currently reading
I just looked up the book, but I'm still not convinced this happens in present times. Maybe you have somethign to offer other than some book from Amazon.com?
Also, in the earlier times "fresh" bodies were stripped from thier burial and used for anatomy research.
Who brought up the "earlier times?" I thought we were talking about present time? You might want to inform us when you're talking about "earlier times." Also note that I didn't say "they weren't used for that."(past tense)
Rebel89 said:
If I remember correctly, it is acually the family of the cadaver that decides wether or not the body is used for cadaver research.
You sign a donor card, in some states it's the back of your drivers license. I'm sure a legal relative could donate the body, but unless they come forth it's completely up to the recently deceased's wishes.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
some of the earliest medical research was done on fresh stolen bodies. i forget the scientists name (OMG, tip of my tongue), but he basically made a lot of his findings on bodies he stole. (hundreds of years ago)

Rebel89

So-Cham
junglizm said:
I'm sure a legal relative could donate the body, but unless they come forth it's completely up to the recently deceased's wishes.

Correct and excuse me for bringing up "the earlier times", even though some of the "grave robbery" is still commited today. Also about the book, it was written in 2001 or 2002, I'm not clear on that my self. I reccomend this book beings that it explains fairly well about most aspects of cadaver research. If you ever get the time, take a look at it.

Jung

???
Premium
Rebel89 said:
Correct and excuse me for bringing up "the earlier times", even though some of the "grave robbery" is still commited today.
Touche, but I'd hardly consider grave robbery as cadaver research. Unless you're just using that as a play on words.
Also about the book, it was written in 2001 or 2002, I'm not clear on that my self.
My question would be, when did these accounts take place? I looks like a collection of stories about cadavers and "whimsical" stories, but gives no lead as to the time frame of the stories. That's just for my curiosity though.

Rebel89

So-Cham
junglizm said:
My question would be, when did these accounts take place? I looks like a collection of stories about cadavers and "whimsical" stories, but gives no lead as to the time frame of the stories. That's just for my curiosity though.

Ahh I see what you are saying. Well the way th book was written, she acually visits these places records and describes the meeting with the scientists running the facility. It's quite interesting.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Rebel89 said:
-The University of Tennesee acually has a facility that is solely dedicated to researching human decay in various situations (I.E. Dead body: in a pond, encased in concrete, in bushes, in tree groves, and in a concealed envorioment).

It's called the "Body Farm". They use this site to study the rates and types of decay in Human bodies left in varying positions i.e. shallow grave vs. uncovered. vs truck of a car. It's extremely well guarded and has provided a great deal of knowledge in this area.

As far as the bodies being stolen from graves, you're refering to a practice in 17th and 18th century England where scientists paid money for corpses without much care where they came from. Murder being a death penalty, most folks just dug up dead bodies.

Today, cadavers are RARELY used for crash tests or bullistics testing. Crash test dummies are sufficiently advanced enough that they can pull the same data without the need for a very expensive, one use crash test dummy. The same goes for the vests. They use Gelatine dummies with sensors. It's cheaper, easier and doesn't freak out the test teams. (He may be dead but shooting him is still creepy.)

In today's scientific fields corpses, body parts and the rest are very highly controlled and are tracked quite closely. A cadaver may be donated by the family or by the deceased can choose to donate his body before he dies. The body is donated to science. There are no stipulations on how, or where that body will be used. Most people assume it will be used for anatomy classes in med schools.

But to answer your initial question. Yes, it is ethical.

Rebel89

So-Cham
UberSkippy said:
It's called the "Body Farm". They use this site to study the rates and types of decay in Human bodies left in varying positions i.e. shallow grave vs. uncovered. vs truck of a car. It's extremely well guarded and has provided a great deal of knowledge in this area.

As far as the bodies being stolen from graves, you're refering to a practice in 17th and 18th century England where scientists paid money for corpses without much care where they came from. Murder being a death penalty, most folks just dug up dead bodies.

Today, cadavers are RARELY used for crash tests or bullistics testing. Crash test dummies are sufficiently advanced enough that they can pull the same data without the need for a very expensive, one use crash test dummy. The same goes for the vests. They use Gelatine dummies with sensors. It's cheaper, easier and doesn't freak out the test teams. (He may be dead but shooting him is still creepy.)

In today's scientific fields corpses, body parts and the rest are very highly controlled and are tracked quite closely. A cadaver may be donated by the family or by the deceased can choose to donate his body before he dies. The body is donated to science. There are no stipulations on how, or where that body will be used. Most people assume it will be used for anatomy classes in med schools.

But to answer your initial question. Yes, it is ethical.

Thx for updating the info