WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

can anyone help

MsPunK

Tenderony
OK basically i want to get into some stuff but im not really sure how. was wondering if anyone had done these things and how they got started. they are silly things but i wanna do it

i want to start writing some drum n bass music
i want to start making potterry and selling it and stuff
if i start dancing lessons which one shall i chose, i like jazz and bassy stuff an rn b and stuff

by the way i just realised that those things just need common sense to get into but you know... im stoned

and if you think that was bad look at this fucking really bad picture i made earlier for my ginger friend ... yeh it took like 15 fucking minutes :bomb:

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
MsPunk said:
if i start dancing lessons which one shall i chose, i like jazz and bassy stuff an rn b and stuff

Wow, you have some weird goals... but I did take ceramics in HS... it was cool.

You're gonna need clay, a kiln (big fuking oven that heats to about 5000 degrees F), and glazes. Get all of that, and you should be set on the pottery thingummy. You'll also need a potter's wheel if you want to make bowls and such.

I'm not musically inclined so you'll need help from others for those.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
MsPunK said:
OK basically i want to get into some stuff but im not really sure how. was wondering if anyone had done these things and how they got started. they are silly things but i wanna do it

by the way i just realised that those things just need common sense to get into but you know... im stoned

and if you think that was bad look at this fucking really bad picture i made earlier for my ginger friend ... yeh it took like 15 fucking minutes :bomb:
If I were you I'd start with the dancing. Easy set-up minimal equipment. First get a G-Srting, some chocolate syrup, and a Brass pole. Then you need a bouncer. Easy as that. :thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
MsPunK said:
I DJ and produce DNB, Jungle and Breaks, what kind are you interested in? How much money do you have to start with? Can you afford the hardware or software? Do you know anything about proper musical structure or theory?

I got started playing piano and drums in fifth grade, then picked up bass and regular guitar a few years later. I started DJing about six years ago and playing at clubs and parties. About four years ago I started playing with soft synths, Reason, Cubase and Cakewalk, now I do about 50% hardware 50% software. I took a lot of music composition and theory classes in college, and I've spent a lot of time learning about composition techniques and beat structures. For DNB, there's no substitute for good drum programming. ;)

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Hey look, all three problems solved! :thumbsup:

WTF is good for something :thumbsup: ... errr ummm... maybe that's overstepping it a bit.

MsPunK

Tenderony
well i can play the geetar, and im learning drums... i did music tech in college but i dropped out cos i moved. are there any courses in composition?

Jung

???
Premium
MsPunK said:
are there any courses in composition?
That question would probably be better answered by your local school. I'd suggest taking anything with composition or theory in mind. I learned a lot by taking a classical piano class. What do you plan on starting with? What styles? I can reccomend some software to get you started, if I new what you wanted to do exactly. You're better off learning music in general first though. Starting with DNB, or any breakbeat for that matter, will likely be too much for you.

You should start playing with drum programming, and try to learn about beat structure. Buy some old funk classics on vinyl (or cd if you have to) and sample the breaks. Two breaks that are widely used are the "Amen" break from "Amen my Brother" by the Winstons, and "Funky Drummer" by James Brown. Practice chopping those up into single notes and rearranging them to form your own beats.

Here are two of my tracks that you can chop up and sample if you wish.

(Right click; save as. Please don't stream from my server.)
Bizarre.mp3
Fucking Hostile.mp3 (Pantera Remix)