WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Can someone reccomend a program for ripping the voices out of a music file?

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
I have a little karaoke party coming up, and my machine just crapped out. So can someone reccomend a program for ripping the voices out of a music file?

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
You're fucked, pretty much. Every one of those 'Karaoke filters' on any music/audio program or even hardware has never worked very well. The human vocal range is too hard for them to filter out completely. And if you do manage to get the thing to work, it'll probably work too well, ie making the song sound like it's missing something as well.

Cheers,

WTFN

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
what does layer III mean? i always thought it meant that three different sounds were together synchronized on one file. if so there has to be software to seperate and elminate one or more. then again my assumption is likely wrong... couldnt find out anything when i googled it.

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
Mpeg layer 3 (the MP3 which we all love and adore) takes its name because it was originally the audio layer for MPG video, layer 3, which has the best compression.

Short and sweet, but here is everything you want to know and more about MP3.

Cheers,

WTFN

Jung

???
Premium
This is what I use: http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/vocalremoval.html

It's not an exact science though; the vocal removal software is based on the assumption that the lead vocals are mixed in the middle of the stereo channels. Some songs mix vocals differently though and some effects (reverb or chorus) on the vocals make is harder. Also, MP3 compression makes it pretty hard to isolate and remove vocals.

Descent

Hella Constipated
billybob13 said:
I have a little karaoke party coming up, and my machine just crapped out. So can someone reccomend a program for ripping the voices out of a music file?
Borrow a friend's Sega CD, they read CD+G discs for karaoke use and all you have to do is plug a microphone into your stereo. It's a well kept secret. Nobody owned a Sega CD nor CD+G discs! Plug it into your TV and go - plenty of people have them in attics, borrow it and save a few bucks.

That's the only somewhat "common" household device I know of that can do karaoke.