WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Can we PLEASE get rid of foreign Tech Support?

OK.. here's what happened..

my dad bought his laptop back in december '04. In January, he received a phone call about his warranty (sales call). This woman tells me that he can extend his warranty from 1 year to 3 years for only $175. I'm like fuck that... how about we get complete care for $275? (complete care is like water damage and shit) so i'm thinking i just spent $300 on warranty for my dad. Of course I have the thought in my head "We're never going to need this.. i don't know why i'm buying it.." anyway..

so what the fuck do you know.. my dipshit sister spills fucking Koolaid on an $1,800 dollar investment. At first, my father and I shit our pants.. that's normal for anyone. but then i remember - hey! I spent $300 for a good cause! holy shit!!!!!!!

i was indeed incorrect..

i call Dell to make a claim, and the dude (non-american) tells me that customer care can't take care of warranty claims. Transfers me to warranty service - call is dropped. Call again.. same thing - i speak to "lindetta".. she says that she will transfer me to another department to start up the claim process. - what the fuck.. the call is dropped again (from a landline).

so then, i finally just go online and speak to someone. their chat system "talisma" is a piece of shit.. almost as bad as talking on the phone. so i find out "i don't have the Complete Care" on my account. i'm like what the fuck dude, i spent $300 in january to buy it.. he says "well i can certainly understand the mistake this may have caused, and i'll do everything in my power to fix it."

so he's pretty cool, he gives me a case number (which contains the chat transcript and information as to why complete care will be added) and a phone # to call and give so they can add it and create a claim.

so i call, and "rashneesh" says "i'm sorry sir, i can not add this, it is past the 30 days of which you can add complete care" so i'm like dude, no... i bought it back in january. so then he transfers me to jason (english) in the warranty department.. fucking bastard..

first of fucking all, this asshole american will NOT let me finish a god damn sentence. when i attempt to give him the situation, he continuously tries to fill in my words to make it sound like i'm an unknowledgable asshat. so i finally have to tell him "DUDE SHUT UP! CAN I FINISH PLEASE?" (it reminded me of "Bigger Longer and Uncut" southpark when the can. ambassator and Kyle's Mom argue)

so i explain the situation, and he's like "you only spent $175 in january and a rebate for $50 was offered." (i didn't do the rebate) of course i asked him who sold the warranty to me in the first place, and what do you know.. "jesenta" (don't know if thats how you spell it, but it's pronounced like that) was not english.. and she told me that my total was $273.29. she e-mailed me a confirmation SHOWING that complete care was $273.

so i tell him "dude i have the e-mail confirmation that shows how much i paid.. can i send it to you to prove it?"

"no, there's nothing we can do. if you had called 9 months ago this situation could've been resolved, but as of now, there is nothing we can do.."

i'm about to blow shit out of my ass. i asked to speak to a supervisor, and he's like "there's no supervisor on duty" so i'm like "ok, who do you work under".. "my supervisor".. AND WHERE IS HE, DOUCHE BAG?!

"he is unavailable"..

so basically, his supervisor didn't want to hear my shit, and i'm like a horse with no legs. i have no idea what i can do, other than just pay to fix it through Dell's "Out of Warranty repair".

The fucking rates (for medium business, our category)...

Computer Inspection:$199
If they wish to repair it, they send it to the repair center: $150
Labor: $15/hour
Parts:everything
Total cost: more than the computer is worth..

then he recommends that i just claim it on our homeowners insurance. i'm not sure of H.O.I covers koolaid. would that be considered a flood? we don't have flood insurance.

what can i do?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Dell sucks. As of today I feel the same way with HP.

I helped out about five friends today with tech problems. They deal with me instead of the "real" ( :rolleyes: ) tech support guys because I do it for free and get it done quicker with a splash of humor.

My buddie Charlie, who I sold my 9600XT to, has an HP Pavilion with a 3.0GHz P4 and an Asus motherboard.

He told me the 9600XT wasn't working. No video output at all but windows booted A-OK.

He comes over, I hand him an ATi 8MB PCI Rage Pro to hold him off.

I take out my 9700 pro, slap my 9600XT in (I owned this card for six months so I know it quite well), bam, fired right up and I'm using it right now as we speak.

Runs everything I throw at it, including the Doom 3 Alpha from 2002, which is my premier ATi torture test because nVidia cards can no longer run it due to driver problems.

CLIFFS: Charlie's HP has a dead AGP slot, so I sent him a link to a Gigabyte board he can use as a replacement that won't fuck up.

That machine seems to be possesed by the devil, it's given him nothing but problems since day one, but this seals it, that Asus board is a defective POS and never should have been installed.

If he went through HP it would have taken two weeks, but he went through me so it took twenty minutes.

And this is why I've become a roaming tech support guy. I find it fun, I get it done fast, and I know my hardware so people are satisfied with my recommendations.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I was setting up a wireless network for my aunt, and she couldn't remember her PPPoe password. So, I had to call up her ISP's tech support to get the password. When, my phone call was answered by "Jim" (they choose American names, to you know, be more "American"). Anyway, I was barely able to understand anything that was coming out of his mouth. Unfortunately, Indians speed-talk through everything they say, and with the accent it's hard to catch everything they say. He was eventually able to give me what I needed, after ~40 minutes on the phone.

If companies offshore, they oughta make sure the people they are hiring can speak standard english, without any sort of accent, or speed increase.

magnolia

Postaholic
Kill the fucking bastards. Or sue em. If you paid for full coverage and you have a confermation, then you have a case as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, don't buy an extended warranty over the phone. Say, no thanks. And if anything happens to it, just chalk it up to bad luck and get a new comp.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
im pretty well sure most companies are designing thier tech support and warrenty departments to deny service to all.. by use of cheap ass forign outsourcing and back and fourth loops to prevent you from getting service... like HP and thier cameras.. they claim the cameras are build into the housing so they cannot offer any parts for the camera. Even if its a simple outside part that can be snapped in.. You MUST send the camera in for total replacement at your own cost... whats the point of a warrenty then?

It was best said "Truth is all you got is a guarenteed peice of shit.. if you want me to take a shit in a box and mark it guarenteed, I got time..."

Jung

???
Premium
My solution to this problem: build your own PCs, be your own tech support; problem solved. Anyone who claims to be “good with computers” can build their own if their claims are true, and if they aren’t, it’s certainly not hard to learn. Hell, even Duddles managed to build her own PC. Even my 14 year old cousin builds his own, I’m sure a grown adult can do the same.

On a side note, I’ve never had problems with Dell or HP's corporate support; they’ve been stellar every single time I’ve had to deal with them. Dell's support was pretty good about my monitors as well.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
If I get a hold of shitty tech support, I just hang up and try again.

It's not like there's only one person over there. But when I find one that is actually willing to help me, I get their extension number and name, that way, if I ever get a problem again, I can try to find them first.

I'm really nice, because lets face it, no one wants to be told that the product they are representing is shitty, or any other numerous belittlings. Besides, there's nothing more interesting than acting more stupid than you actually are, just to see how you get treated.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I usually do my own support but the problem results in when you wanna get parts... I can get a new keyboard for my laptop ordered to my house for 35.50, but I cant get a 12 cent battery door for my camera..

Jung

???
Premium
but I cant get a 12 cent battery door for my camera..
Then don’t buy cameras made by a computer company; stick with traditional camera manufacturers like Nikon, Minolta, Olympus or Canon.

HP mass produces cameras with the “if it breaks, make them upgrade or make it hard for them to fix” business model. I’ve never seen a camera from any of the manufacturer’s I mentioned that wasn’t user serviceable though.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
yeah well I didnt buy it... it was a gift..

ok i blew shit out of my ass.

(picture me saying FUCK YOU every two seconds)

i faxed my confirmation e-mail to Dell to show them that I have PROOF that i bought it.

(keep in mind i'm talking to a higher-up cust service rep, one step above supervisor)

"sir, it appears to me that this confirmation letter is fraudulent, and we can not offer you any sort of compensation for a fraudulent claim."

i almost cried. he told me that i am going to be fined $5,000 for false claims.

i WILL take this shit to court. this is fucking bull shit. i am about to pay 5k for their fucked up computer issues. i'm fucking shaking right now.

Descent

Hella Constipated
slemaire195 said:

i faxed my confirmation e-mail to Dell to show them that I have PROOF that i bought it.

(keep in mind i'm talking to a higher-up cust service rep, one step above supervisor)

"sir, it appears to me that this confirmation letter is fraudulent, and we can not offer you any sort of compensation for a fraudulent claim."

i WILL take this shit to court. this is fucking bull shit. i am about to pay 5k for their fucked up computer issues. i'm fucking shaking right now.
You can't actually be fined without the government being involved, you know...

And I'm pretty sure not even pig cops would care about a computer.

Also, just a heads up, I'm forcing my father into IBM due to these horror stories. This will seal the deal.

DON'T GO DELL! "[Year 2001]Award Winning Customer Service And Support."

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:

Yeah because cops really care about the circumstances surrounding a potential fraud case. :rolleyes: How ignorant can you be? If they report it (unlikely) it’ll be handled like any other fraud case, the fact that it’s a warranty claim for a computer is negligible.

slemaire195, I don’t really know what to say, that sucks. I would just keep trying to call until you get someone that will actually listen.

Homeowners insurance should cover that, but it depends on the coverage your dad has.

fuck dell.

i'm not even going to waste time with them. fuck the computer, it was a piece of shit anyway. slow as fucking molasses.

i just spoke with a lawyer, and he said that IF dell contacts me for a fine, give him a call. (as i already knew) there's no reason that by a) printing a copy of the e-mail, b) printing a Print-Screen of the e-mail, and c) printing the e-mail headers to prove purchasing the warranty should earn me a fine--

scratch that.. Dell's Legal Department just called me. i'm being fined $5,000. we're in court.

*shaking in anger*

EDIT:
Descent said:
apparently you can..

Descent said:
you'd be surprised. my step-brother worked for the Lafayette Police, and he was the guy they paid to search computers for evidence.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
slemaire195 said:

Dell sucks! ROFL~ PM me your service tag, and you confirmation letter. I will look into it.

the firm told me not to give any information out to anyone, but hey..

what would you be able to do with it that they can't?

Descent

Hella Constipated
slemaire said:
you'd be surprised. my step-brother worked for the Lafayette Police, and he was the guy they paid to search computers for evidence.
I'm talking a fine from Dell, not evidence...

so who runs Dell's legal department? who are they to fine me if they need the gov't involved to do it? i'm fucking confused..

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
slemaire195 said:

Pfft~ Weaksaucer

Jung

???
Premium
slemaire195 said:

He works for Dell...
slemaire195 said:
so who runs Dell's legal department? who are they to fine me if they need the gov't involved to do it? i'm fucking confused..
Any corporation can fine you for things like that. If they put it in their policy and claim you cost them time and money for trying to make a fraudulent claim, they can charge you for compensation. A corporation like that will usually win too, since it’s expensive to dispute things like that in court, and they have almost unlimited resources to throw at lawyers.

As side note, my cousin once got arrested by Wal Mart for stealing 1 pack of cigarettes. Wal Mart fined him (something like) $250 for “restocking fees” and he had to either pay it or go to court.