WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Canada spy agency busts suspected terror cell

Invader

Last Living Souls
TORONTO (AP) — Canadian agents this summer busted a suspected terrorist cell in Toronto that included an Algerian explosives expert they say was trained by al-Qaida, intelligence officials said yesterday.

The cell was made up of four Algerian men who had applied for refugee status in Canada and were alleged members of the Salafist Group for Call and Combat, an Islamic group with ties to al-Qaida, which is banned in Canada and Algeria, the officials said.

The group was dismantled by CSIS counterterrorism and Canada Border Services Agency agents, working with police, Barbara Campion, a spokeswoman for Canadian Security Intelligence Service, said yesterday.

Campion said she could not reveal the men's names, or details of their activities. But some details were divulged at a closed-door meeting in Toronto Monday with CSIS, law enforcement officials and representatives of the telecommunications, electricity and transportation industries.

A National Post journalist was the only reporter allowed to attend the workshop and Campion confirmed his story in the Post in yesterday editions.

Three of the men were deported this summer to U.S. border crossings, because they had entered Canada from the United States. The key figure left Canada voluntarily in March 2004 after he was confronted by investigators, said the National Post.

"American authorities were aware of their arrival and they were dealt with appropriately upon their arrival," Campion said. She said she didn't know whether the men were being detained in the United States.

A senior CSIS counterterrorism official, Larry Brooks, told the workshop the ringleader of the Toronto cell was a former al-Qaida training camp instructor who studied bomb making at bin Laden's training camps in eastern Afghanistan, according to the Post.

He reportedly entered Canada on Aug. 8, 1998, using a forged Saudi passport and made a refugee claim that was eventually turned down.

Canada has skirted a major terrorist attack since the Air India bombings of 1985 but has been bracing for an attack on its soil since the Sept. 11 strike against America. Osama bin Laden has named Canada as one of five so-called Christian nations targeted for acts of terror, as a close ally of the United States and a pillar of Western society.

David Harris, a former CSIS chief of strategic planning, believes there are more than 50 terrorist groups with a presence in Canada, because of Canada's policy to encourage foreigners to come and work in the massive North American nation with only 33 million people.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Wow go Canada.

Wait, canada has spies> What is the world coming to?

Jung

???
Premium
Good article, but please include a link to the articles you post in the future.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
psst - dustinz, don't tell anyone, but Canada is a country... They're going to have peace officers and *GASP* a military!

Keep in mind : Canada leeches military from the US. Why? Because if anyone attacks us, America will be on them. We don't need to spend that much money on our military (yet we still have a decent one), so we spend it on other social programs such as health care... Which leads to the whole "Canada has shit military" vs. "America has shit health care"

As for this article : I'm not surprised about a terror cell in Canada... It's hard to track the cells down to the roots, and the roots for terror cells will probably never even be uncovered because of very little contact between different cells... People from one cell may not even know who the closest cell is next to them... i.e. Joe Blow is a terrorist, and his neighbor is a terrorist, but they don't know that about each other, because, though in the same terrorist organization, they belong to a cell organization, making little to no contact with any people in the actual organization.

I can't wait until someone uncovers the Al-Qaeda HQ (Which will probably be never) and then terror bombings start happening from another organization, and it turns out it WASN'T Al-Qaeda after all doing all of the bombings...

Also : Kind of scary thinking that all of these cells could be your next door neighbors...

EDIT : and Jung : He stated before that he is signed up for a newspaper subscription service...

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
Boycott said:
psst - dustinz, don't tell anyone, but Canada is a country... They're going to have peace officers and *GASP* a military!
Apparently a spy agency too! This is news to me, canada, what will they get next. Oh, maybe U-turns, or american soda(still on the black market there, I think).

Invader

Last Living Souls
junglizm said:
Good article, but please include a link to the articles you post in the future.

I could easily post a link to the article, but you can-not read it unless you subscribe to it. So if you would still like me to then you can feel free and read the article on the site.

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Make sure you at least give a link to the originating website such as:

http://www.ap.org

That should be fine.

R

RedOctober

Guess it's the other way around...

Suppose the CIA trains agents to infiltrate in some "middle of the road" groups. Then they try to stir the soup.
Get them some minor demolition stuff to blow up a dustbin.
If needed, they pass information to the local police, and "What the heck!", "They killed Kenny!" didn't happen, but a group of surprized youngsters is put behind bars, asking themselves who blew them.

The full details you get on prime time FOX to have a pretext to invade Cannuckistan.