WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Canada Vs. The United States

I would like to bring up the matter of why The United States is so much more violent compared to Canada. Now I currently live in the United States and I am just as exposed to media, violence, war, death, and drugs. Canada is exposed to pretty much the same "things" as we are (here in the United States). I would like to hear opinions from people living in Canada, The United States, and any other countries that have and "outsiders view of both countries.

~Extra Info~

-Canada's crime rates are much less than the crime rates in The United States.

-Canada also has less of a murder rate than The United States.

~Ideas or Hypothesis~

-Lower population that ours (not solid fact, just a factor that may make the difference).

-Government may be stepping in with what the media can and cannot show (my father was just recently in Canada on business, he had brought back a pack of cigarettes that was stuffed full of anti-smoking “brochures”).

Sonix

*\_CG_/*
Canada rulez!

Well, I think it's simply the fact that Canada rules! (I'm not Canadian myself). I just know quite a lot of Canadian people, and the ones I know are very open minded and friendly. One of Canada's main policies is multiculturalism - they support different cultures, and everyone can keep his own opinions and beliefs. The US have more of one leading American culture.
Thus, there is not much racism, which might do its good bit to the low crime rate.
For foreigners it is obvious that Canada deals differently with foreign affairs than the US. Canada stands for peacekeeping and supports the UN, and not the Iraq war. That fact might not cause a low crime rate in the country, but maybe it shows Canada's way of dealing with things and its attitude.
I could list many more things, but I simply think Canada is a good place for people to live :thumbsup:

canada may be exposed to the same "things" but we have a plethera amount more amount of these "things" as canada does, where in canada you may see a guy sniffing some crack once about ever 10 miles, where in the US you're gonna see a guy sniffing some crack (or at least has done it before) once every 10 feet

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
this is a question many seem to wonder the answer to. we more violent and crime ridden than Canada or any other industrialized nation in the world (western europe, japan, etc.) some suggest its the stress ridden lifestyles, the religiously righteous, a persecution complex, w/e. my op is it's b/c of the way we got our start. that and the fact we haven't been permitted to peacefully coexist since then.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Here in Canada the poverty rate is alot lower. In the states there is a higher rate of millionnaires and billionnaires, but a higher rate of poverty as well. So, Canada's "middle class" is bigger comparatively. Since poverty can lead to violence, I think the higher rates of violence in the States might have something to do with its higher rates of poverty.

in Canada, we have violent neighbourhoods like east side montreal "hochelaga" which is very poor and where the gangs rule in the streets (even then, it's not as bad as Chicago or the bronx..) Toronto and Vancouver have these poor parts as well where violent is omnipresent. The rest of the country is relatively safe. I know the US has like 30 big cities and Canada has like 4, but I'm talking about the rates anyways. Of course, poverty doesn't explain everything.

Another point : more Americans tend to own a gun... That's a huge cultural difference with Canadians. I don't have a single friend that has a gun home for the sole purpose of "protection" (I know a guy that has a hunting gun but that's it). Maybe if I'd live in east montreal, then with the gangs and shit I'd know alot of people that have guns. But in calm towns, no one has a gun. In the states, tell me if I'm wrong, but wether it's in the ghetto or in a calm part of a city, most people will have guns, at least more than Canadians. Also, it's very easy in the states to get a gun, here I don't even know how to get one. You need to register, buy a permit, they'll check your criminal record etc.

So then let's say someone is very angry, and snap, and have a gun in their house. Someone dumb would take the gun and shoot someone. Someone with no gun would maybe punch a face or try to get a gun but calm down in the process. I dunno.. But I'm pretty sure the high murder rates in the US can be explained by the amazing accessibility of firearms.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
RageAgainst said:
Another point : more Americans tend to own a gun... That's a huge cultural difference with Canadians.

Also, it's very easy in the states to get a gun, here I don't even know how to get one. You need to register, buy a permit, they'll check your criminal record etc.
well i dunno rage, i read/saw somewhere canadians were well armed as a people. and btw the states have the same procedures in buying firearms.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
gurlgonewild said:
well i dunno rage, i read/saw somewhere canadians were well armed as a people. and btw the states have the same procedures in buying firearms.

I dunno I didn't read a scientific study about it but I saw bowling for columbine =P
And like I said, Canadians aren't armed. Maybe in the west with the rednecks they are, but they're a minority here anyways.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
according to Rage Against (and i'm not debating; only putting the numbers to the hypothesis you've presented on middle class populations in Canada vs US) what you are saying then is that the Canadian middle class represents more than 40% of the population earning on avg between $37,500 and $93,750 per year (adjusted for exchange rate=modestly at $1.20CAN on every $1USD)? so okay, okay out of 31M Canadians, you are saying more than 12.4M are apart of the middle class, and more than 6.2M canadians are apart of the upper class?

after i thought about your hypothesis that the USA has more crime b/c we have as a percent more people living in poverty (to make a marked difference in the higher rate of crime incidence in the USA than exists in Canada) knawed on me b/c i know 1.) canada's economy is not stronger than the USA's (even w/ current poor economic conditions as they are in the USA) and 2.) canada certainly doesn't afford more people a higher standard of living w/ lower wages and higher taxes by virtue of the exchange rate alone and 3.) our upper class is much higher as a percentage of population than Canada's....108.4M in the US live a middle class existence, another 54.6M live an upper class existence, the rest live w/ less ($30,000USD or less per year)

which begs to ask the question of those remaining 40% how many live below the poverty level; how does one define it as such, then calculate the exchange rate into it, and come up w/ a percentage that estimates real life in either country?

reitterated differently, it is very difficult for me to believe more than 60% of canada's population earns more than $37,500 per year, if so, i along w/ millions of immigrants will be moving to Canada tomorrow!

*calculations reflect gross income.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I think a big part of it can be found in what GGW just said.

Doing the math in her post Canda's population is roughly 31 Million.

The US's pop is in the area of 200 Million. (I'm drunk, math hurts)

Canada's liveable is (just for arguments sake) 1/3 that of the US. 1/6 of the people in 1/3 the space would generally equal less crime. As a rule, people don't like each other. The closer you cram them together the more violent they get towards each other.

Just a thought.

badone

Drug Adict
I should learn what's acceptable in this forum before I post again.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
I think it depends on what part of the country you are in. If you are in the city it is going to be a lot rougher than being in the country or Midwest. However, I believe the reason America appears to be more violent is because we have such a wide array of people. Like did you know almost 1/3 of all people in our prisons are illegal immigrants and I am going to say about 35% (I can’t remember if that is the exact percentage) make up most of our murders. We have a large illegal immigration problem in the united states and a lot of our crime sad to say is coming from these people.

Unless America puts more effort forth to boarder control and tightening it up, this problem is going to continue to grow. It not just the crime rate but also it is effecting and draining our economy. We defiantly need to look at this issue more closely.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
gurlgonewild said:
according to Rage Against (and i'm not debating; only putting the numbers to the hypothesis you've presented on middle class populations in Canada vs US) what you are saying then is that the Canadian middle class represents more than 40% of the population earning on avg between $37,500 and $93,750 per year (adjusted for exchange rate=modestly at $1.20CAN on every $1USD)? so okay, okay out of 31M Canadians, you are saying more than 12.4M are apart of the middle class, and more than 6.2M canadians are apart of the upper class?

after i thought about your hypothesis that the USA has more crime b/c we have as a percent more people living in poverty (to make a marked difference in the higher rate of crime incidence in the USA than exists in Canada) knawed on me b/c i know 1.) canada's economy is not stronger than the USA's (even w/ current poor economic conditions as they are in the USA) and 2.) canada certainly doesn't afford more people a higher standard of living w/ lower wages and higher taxes by virtue of the exchange rate alone and 3.) our upper class is much higher as a percentage of population than Canada's....108.4M in the US live a middle class existence, another 54.6M live an upper class existence, the rest live w/ less ($30,000USD or less per year)

which begs to ask the question of those remaining 40% how many live below the poverty level; how does one define it as such, then calculate the exchange rate into it, and come up w/ a percentage that estimates real life in either country?

reitterated differently, it is very difficult for me to believe more than 60% of canada's population earns more than $37,500 per year, if so, i along w/ millions of immigrants will be moving to Canada tomorrow!

*calculations reflect gross income.
No..... I never said Canada had a bigger upper-class.. What I meant is that the lower-class is smaller, and the lower-class people are generally less poor in Canada because they have access to more services, unless they live on the street. Correct me if I'm wrong but 20 to 35 millions of Americans live in poverty, and if they break a leg (or need hospitalization) they're fucked. In Canada, you don't need money to get medical assistance, all you need is a little red card with your picture on it. Ok I'm drifting from the subject here. I don't think that poverty alone explains all the violence, but it's definitely a factor.

What UberSkippy said is right too, people are more jammed togheter in the states and that is also a factor.

But I think one of the most important factors is, like I said, the fact that lots of Americans own guns in comparison to Canadians.

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
_Kitana_ said:
... However, I believe the reason America appears to be more violent is because we have such a wide array of people...
Kit, no offense here, but North of 49° we have a wide variety of different ethnic backgrounds too. One could even argue that Canada has greater ethnic diversity than the United States. In the Vancouver area, where I reside, it is projected that by 2020, there will be more visible minorities than whites, and in many areas of the Lower Mainland, it already seems that way (anyone been to Richmond?). I heard a comment by somebody on some show (oh yeah, it was Bowling for Columbine) that the reason they thought Canada had less violent crime was because we were 'all white folk' up here. I had a good laugh at that one.

I think perhaps that our lower rate of violent crime is due to the way we handle ourselves when it comes to multiculturalism. Instead of the 'melting pot' of assimilation practiced by our cousins to the south, we prefer to think of ourselves as a 'cultural mosaic;' our country is made up of and made stronger by the people of different cultures who have decided to make this land their home.

There are many factors that go into violent crime rates, and I don't intend to go into too much detail about it, I did enough of that in Uni, studying criminology. These were just my thoughts about what Kit had to say.

I really hate these Canada vs USA threads, by the way. Both countries are great, and both have their problems. Would I want to live in the USA? Probably not. But then, ask somebody from the USA if they'd want to move to Canada, you'd probably get the same response (unless it's a "marry a Canadian campaign" after a particularly divided US Election!)

Cheers all,

WTFN

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
I was more touching on the fact that we have more of an illegal immigration problem then other countries. Most of these illegal immigrants appear to be violent. It only makes sense to be honest. They already broke the law to get into the country so what stopping them from breaking it further. It is true that some are just wanting to start a better life for their family and are for the most part honest hard working people. However we can’t ignore reality to be politically correct and that a lot of them are severely dangerous to have in our country. Where you see the most violence at in our country is where we have some of the biggest illegal immigration problems at. Sad part is most of our government leaders are to worried about upsetting someone to really properly handle the issue. After all no one wants to be seen as a racist.

I mean California, Texas, New York, Florida… these people have extremely heavy immigration problems and are know to be extremely violent states. With some of the highest crime rates.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_1_the_illegal_alien.html
http://www.rense.com/general47/polic.htm

To be honest and I could be wrong I don’t believe there is another country with as big of an illegal immigration problem as the USA. I don’t think there is another country doing so little about it. With all this talk about homeland security, why are we not taking greater strides to deal with this?

WHERE THE FUCK IS CANDA?

Anyhow, about my country called Canada, I went to NY about a week ago. I got fucking scared. My whole safety complex is 'I live in Canada'. I couldn't live in America. That and people screamed things at me desperately trying to sell me stuff as I walked down the streets.

Canadians I find are more open minded and easy going. However I'll give America credit, they have more Red Bull than us :(. My cousin had a fucking 24 pack, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw all that Red Bull. Plus you have PimpJuice: Apple Juice + Sugar

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Magic Hobo said:
WHERE THE FUCK IS CANDA?

Anyhow, about my country called Canada, I went to NY about a week ago. I got fucking scared. My whole safety complex is 'I live in Canada'. I couldn't live in America. That and people screamed things at me desperately trying to sell me stuff as I walked down the streets.

Canadians I find are more open minded and easy going. However I'll give America credit, they have more Red Bull than us :(. My cousin had a fucking 24 pack, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw all that Red Bull. Plus you have PimpJuice: Apple Juice + Sugar
Like I said it depends where you go at in our country. A lot of people go to some of our worse Cities and it is really just coast that is all fuckered up.

the only reason everyone makes fun of canada is cause theyre fucking awsome and the coolest country to mess with

Cutter

College Punk
canada has shitty beer(not sure if its true but saw canadian bacon the other day), and you can't forget Arizona has a high ass rate of illegals hopin the fence. wanna hear a racist joke but is true? i start ya off and if none care i won't say. "How come mexico dosen't have Olympics?"

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Cutter said:
canada has shitty beer(not sure if its true but saw canadian bacon the other day)
dude you have no clue. Canada homemade beer is better beer than US'.

Crime?

It seems like everyone is assuming that "high crime rate" means "high homicide/assaut rate". Now I don't know the facts and will not try and pretend I do but has anyone looked at other aspects of "crime"? What about robbery, rape, GTA, or terrorism? Every country has its problems and I dont think that we can begin to have this discussion about general crime rates unless we cover all aspects of crime.
...My 2 cents