WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Car specs vs reality

To avoid the backround .. my car is supposed to get from 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, but it takes 11. Anyone have an idea why?

I should probably go to an automotive forum to post this and ask for advice.. but it's just so much easier ... uh .. not to

I have an automatic transmission 2000 Nissan Maxima SE with about 89,000 mi and (as far as I know) its oil changes and general maintenance kept up with.

According to some random and not necessarily reputable places online, I have found that the 0-60 time should be 7.2 seconds .. which I didn't quite believe because the car just didn't feel that fast. About a week ago I had it in the shop for a repair to the transmission which costed about $900. (I don't have the details but if anyone needs them, I will post them when I get them) It also had a problem I had never seen that they repaired where if you cold started it, it would stall (keep in mind, this is an automatic)

Anyways, I figured that, particularly after that repair and whatnot, I should be able to get close to 7.2 secs, but when I tried it about a week after the repair, my time was 11 seconds.:thumbsdn::thumbsdn:

Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong with the car or what I could do to restore the supposed stock speed? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I'm burning regular (86-88 octaine) and not more around 92-93 octaine.. but I don't see how that could improve my time that much.

Just another note (and this may be just how the car works)- but after 4500 rpm alot of the torque feeling cuts out, not that there is all that much in the first place... :mad:

The car has some miles on it man....

Don't expect it to do what it could off the lot.

*Lowered Expectations*

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Go to your local Big-O tires and have them clean the injectors. My little 2.5L Ford Ranger had no get-up-and-go, got the injectors cleaned, and now I can pull out in front of semi's and not worry about dying.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
When they run those tests, they are done in a controlled environment with brand new parts. You car has wear and tear on it after being on the road for 5 years. You can't expect it to perform the same now as it did 5 years ago. If this was the case, there would be no such thing as "depreciation".

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Well, lot's of reasons why it won't pull a 7.2 second run.

For starters, like everyone else said, it's a bit old. As cars get old their performance goes down. Kinda like my truck gas mileage come to think of it.

They also tend to run those tests at sea level or they properly tune the car to adjust for the atmospheric changes. So unless you're in the same place with the same tweaks you won't see that.

Automatic transmissions eat a bit of power which will also slow your acceleration.

Auto transmissions are a hell of a lot heavier which again... not good for acceleration.

Biggest reason: They lie about that crap. They got one car on a fluke with a tail wind to run some amazing times... or the short bus rider they had working the watch wasn't paying attention... either way, they get one run at some astoundingly fast rate and call it a day.

And if you want your injectors cleaned, go to your local auto parts place and get some injector cleaner. You just dump it into your gas tank. It's the same crap anyone uses to clean your injectors for under a couple hundred bucks.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
UberSkippy said:
And if you want your injectors cleaned, go to your local auto parts place and get some injector cleaner. You just dump it into your gas tank. It's the same crap anyone uses to clean your injectors for under a couple hundred bucks.
I bought those products once, and found almost no difference in engine performance or gas mileage.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
hmmm did it used 2 go "7.2" sec?b4? my friend had the same problem on his accord....make sure they put the "right" tranny in there.....they could have always fucked up the gear ratios.......btw check your fuel pump..clean injectors.....change air/oil/fuel filters and spark plugs.....could b runnin on 1 or 2 cylinders less..

well I found out that for one, the air filters are some generic brand and are old but that my dad didn't get them replaced (and apparently that's a big power loss thing for maxima's) and secondly that the injectors do need to be cleaned so I'll try to use some of that stuff and see what happens.

Thanks everybody

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Your Maxima probably won't go 0-60 in 7.2 seconds unless you majorly tweak it, but you can restore a lot of the power and it'll have some kick.

:thumbsup:

well I was never expecting 7.2 seconds .. but I was hoping for maybe eight-ish and to get 11 was annoying the hell out of me haha .. well, we'll see what happens with the new filters and some cleaner injection and I'll look around online for other reasons for power loss etc.

Thanks again