WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany elected pope today, taking the name Benedict XVI

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
1,086
0
0
#1
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/19/international/worldspecial2/19cnd-conclave.html?hp&ex=1113969600&en=cbbfd61481ebc14f&ei=5094&partner=homepage

April 19, 2005
Thousands Cheer in St. Peter's Square as New Leader Emerges

[size=-1]By IAN FISHER [/size]

ATICAN CITY, April 19 - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was elected pope today, taking the name Benedict XVI, after the tolling of bells rang out over St. Peter's square and white smoke drifted from a Sistine Chapel chimney signaling that the cardinals meeting for a second day had chosen a new leader of the Roman Catholic Church.

The new pope then appeared on a balcony overlooking the square as thousands cheered below.

It was a moment that thousands of people in St. Peter's Square had been waiting for. Long streams of Romans hurried to St. Peter's Square and horns blared as people rushed to learn who was selected. People cheered and clapped at the white smoke and deep resonating ringing of the bells, signs that the Vatican had said would indicate that the new pope had been chosen.

There was a lag of several minutes between the appearance of a first wisp of smoke curling up from the chimney and the ringing of the bells, adding to the uncertainty that many people waiting in the square had endured this morning, and after the cardinals started their conclave on Monday afternoon, when there were questions about the color of the smoke.

But several minutes after the first wisps appeared this afternoon, the bells started to toll, swinging heavily back and forth. The crowd raised their hands, cheered and clapped.

Earlier in the day, black smoke rose from the chapel, telling the crowd on the square that cardinals locked inside had taken two more votes and not chosen a successor.

Of eight conclaves since 1903, only two earlier ones had ended after two days, the last in 1978 when Cardinal Albino Luciani, patriarch of Venice, was chosen and took the name John Paul I.

He was considered a favorite going into the conclave. This time, the leading figure has been Cardinal Ratzinger, John Paul II's hard-line defender of church doctrine. Vatican experts had said opposition to Cardinal Ratzinger was strong going into the conclave, but there appeared to be no obvious compromise candidate. Two thirds, or 77 votes, was needed to become the pope in the early stages of voting.

In keeping with centuries of tradition, the cardinals were locked away to choose a new leader for the Roman Catholic Church and its 1.1 billion members. Their deliberations are also, in theory, completely secret, so not only are the ballots themselves burnt but also any notes taken during the session.

As on Monday, St. Peter's Square welled with thousands of spectators - nuns, priests, tourists, Italians. The faithful debated whether it should be a conservative or a moderate; an Italian or Latin American; Cardinal Ratzinger, or someone of his choosing, or someone opposed to him and his more doctrinal beliefs.

"It's a little bit nerve-wracking," said Patrick Harvey, 40, of Washington, D.C., a Catholic who happened to be in Rome and has gone to the square to watch the smoke both times. "It's a very pivotal time for the church whether it will go to the left or the right or the center."

One of the closest collaborators of John Paul II, as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Ratzinger has been the Church's doctrinal watchdog since 1981. He has been described as conservative, and as the current Dean of the College of Cardinals he is widely respected for his uncompromising if ultraconservative principles and his ability to be critical.
GL and cheers!!
 
#2
Benedict my ass; I wanted the black dude to win. Fuckers, one day they start, and they come out with a german dude After one day, and they make this decision after the coolest pope died.

Vatican mother fuckers.
 
4,149
1
0
#3
Is it just me or did anybody else think of Benedict Arnold when they heard the name the new Pope took? Food for thought. . .
 

KreffKa'sWill

4 '04 for Life!
91
0
0
#5
hooray, i was so fucking scared. I'm so happy to have a pope I didn't know what to do with myslef since there was nobody on earth that was infallible. I am very relieved now.

Seriously though, Good to have a Pope again.
 

Easty

Click click boom
5,564
8
68
#6
amen to that.

haha, get it?!?! AMEN!?!?!

bwahahahahahahahahah

i crack myself up
 

Boycott

Soul Doubt
1,387
1
0
#9
Anyone else concerned with the history of this pope and the doings of Germany in 1935 - 1945?

This guy was a National Socialist :confuse: Apperantly they made him do it or they would have killed him... Did some things with the concentration camps...
 
3,559
2
0
#10
Use the edit buttAn Tiger something or other. It's a bad choice for a pope. He's a conservative and probably isn't as smart as John Paul 2. It doesn't even matter if there is a pope or not. It is just a status symbol. Religions don't matter. There doesn't need to be a pope. Nor does there need to be religion.
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#11
Yes, Super News!

Rumor has it that he is not ONLY Ultra Conservative AND old but ALSO, divisive.

Woo Hoo! You lucky Catholics...
 

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
979
0
0
#12
I Hate The FCC said:
Use the edit buttAn Tiger something or other. It's a bad choice for a pope. He's a conservative and probably isn't as smart as John Paul 2. It doesn't even matter if there is a pope or not. It is just a status symbol. Religions don't matter. There doesn't need to be a pope. Nor does there need to be religion.
That's so deep. :thumbsup:
 
2,489
332
327
#14
Boycott said:
Anyone else concerned with the history of this pope and the doings of Germany in 1935 - 1945?

This guy was a National Socialist :confuse: Apperantly they made him do it or they would have killed him... Did some things with the concentration camps...
:o ! i hope he doesn't start spreading "JEW BAD, CATHOLIC GOOD!" type propaganda message. Genocide sucks....
 

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
979
0
0
#15
dull_bullet said:
:o ! i hope he doesn't start spreading "JEW BAD, CATHOLIC GOOD!" type propaganda message. Genocide sucks....
Didn't you here? Being German and all, the first thing he said he was going to do was restore all of the old concentration camps to fully operational. :rolleyes:
 

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
1,622
5
38
#16
Magic Hobo said:
Benedict my ass; I wanted the black dude to win. Fuckers, one day they start, and they come out with a german dude After one day, and they make this decision after the coolest pope died.

Vatican mother fuckers.

Actually, a few cardinals did think that a Latin or African pope should be elected, but, however, it was widely rumored that Ratzinger would take over the papacy as he did give the homily at the late John Paul 2's funeral.
 
2,489
332
327
#17
Skitch0o0 said:
Didn't you here? Being German and all, the first thing he said he was going to do was restore all of the old concentration camps to fully operational. :rolleyes:
i said what i said because boycott said he was a member of the nationalist socialist party back in the 40's
 

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
979
0
0
#18
dull_bullet said:
i said what i said because boycott said he was a member of the nationalist socialist party back in the 40's
Holy crap! Are you serious!? Is that why you quoted Boycott in that post!? Man! I TOTALLY missed that. :thumbsup:
 
2,489
332
327
#20
Skitch0o0 said:
Holy crap! Are you serious!? Is that why you quoted Boycott in that post!? Man! I TOTALLY missed that. :thumbsup:
Ok, now when i posted my second post, boycott WAS NOT the main subject. i was takling about how the new pope was in the nazi party.

and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :thumbsup: