WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Career Path ---> Engineering

sinew

Clitpickle
I, like my friend for starters, am going into engineering (tho at different universitys :( ). I plan on studying mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering (leaning towards mechanical). First year is general math and engineering courses, i gotta make my choice in second year. Anyways, if there is any engineers out there or anyone who knows an engineer or works for or with one, can u give me any info on the job or what career path of the three I should choose and what kinda work is associated with each one (yes I have researched but I want an actual engineers(or someone who knows an engineers) response. Thank you very much.

morelos

lexicon incognito
ok. if you want to stand the fuck out as an engineer of any kind, first do this:

figure out which field is right for you. many people who think they want to be mechanical engineers wind up being electrical engineers. many electrical engineers become computer scientists. many computer scientists become civil engineers. there is a huge, huge list of possibilities.

second, though, and this is very important:

pick up a minor in english or writing or rhetoric or something else that involves putting your thoughts and ideas into clearly understandable words that people from a diverse set of cultural and linguistic backgrounds can read and all interpret the same way.

you want to stand out as a talented, employable, versatile young engineer? remember there are at least thirty thousand of you churned out of universities per year. make sure you can put on your resume "i am an excellent, clear, concise writer and communicator."

~ dan ~

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
sinew said:
I, like my friend for starters, am going into engineering (tho at different universitys :( ). I plan on studying mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering (leaning towards mechanical). First year is general math and engineering courses, i gotta make my choice in second year. Anyways, if there is any engineers out there or anyone who knows an engineer or works for or with one, can u give me any info on the job or what career path of the three I should choose and what kinda work is associated with each one (yes I have researched but I want an actual engineers(or someone who knows an engineers) response. Thank you very much.

You are in love with For_Starters aren't you?

pimpyobitch

Banned - What an Asshat!
For_starters and Sinew Engineering, thats all we need. Also I dont think the community college offers Engineering. I know the top 3 are MIT, Stanford, and Berkeley in that order. But I know by the way you to talk that there is no way in hell you could get into the school. Well maybe by walking on to campus for a tour, but not to go there for school. Oh well.

morelos

lexicon incognito
having attended stanford and berkeley, for sciences, i would probably never hire a scientist trained as an undergraduate at either of those schools.

MIT, Caltech, USC.

in my opinion, though, top universities are just a name and are often worse as educational facilities than the smaller schools.

sinew

Clitpickle
morelos said:
ok. if you want to stand the fuck out as an engineer of any kind, first do this:

figure out which field is right for you. many people who think they want to be mechanical engineers wind up being electrical engineers. many electrical engineers become computer scientists. many computer scientists become civil engineers. there is a huge, huge list of possibilities.

second, though, and this is very important:

pick up a minor in english or writing or rhetoric or something else that involves putting your thoughts and ideas into clearly understandable words that people from a diverse set of cultural and linguistic backgrounds can read and all interpret the same way.

you want to stand out as a talented, employable, versatile young engineer? remember there are at least thirty thousand of you churned out of universities per year. make sure you can put on your resume "i am an excellent, clear, concise writer and communicator."

~ dan ~
Thank you very very much for your response morelos, I even printed it out and put it as the first page of my scrap book, thank you for taking what I have to say seriously. As for pimpyoboyfriend, who has unneccissarily posted here, one thing I dont joke about is my education, so dont fucking call me stupid, if its in bait n tackle, go ahead, but im trying to be serious here, DONT FUCKING CALL ME STUPID, I didnt take classes like physics, chemistry, calculus, math, intormation technology, and economics to be fucking called stupid. Im not trying to show off or nothing, im sure the rest of you are very smart and tryed hard in school (especially morelos who is a successful math teacher for sure). So if you want to diss me in bait and tackle go the fuck ahead, but dont fucking insult me on a serious thread. and pimpyomotherfuckinstupididiotassslutboyfriend, im not going to a community college, i am going to one of the top universitys in Canada, so FUCK YOU. And bullshyt, magnolia, and pimpyobitch, post your stupid shit somewhere else.

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
Nah, I think I'll post them here. Besides, I don't take orders from a kid who just bullshitted his way through that entire post.

morelos

lexicon incognito
sinew said:
Thank you very very much for your response morelos, I even printed it out and put it as the first page of my scrap book, thank you for taking what I have to say seriously.
:D g'luck in your endeavors. remember to take it seriously, but be ready to emergency-relax when you start feeling burnt out. if you want to talk about educational opportunities or paths or anything you're unsure about, let me know; i've studied at top public and private schools as well as in lesser-known, smaller institutions. i have a great deal of experience in many fields.

it's good to see you're taking education seriously. it will help you become a more refined, thoughtful individual and it will help you grow as a person indefinitely!

~ dan ~

ps - just ignore the poinless negativity and attacks, unless they reflect on you.

For-Starters

Banned - What an Asshat!
Bullshyt said:
Nah, I think I'll post them here. Besides, I don't take orders from a kid who just bullshitted his way through that entire post.
for starters, bullshyt,

what do you plan on doing (occupation wise) when you are older?

pimpyobitch

Banned - What an Asshat!
I dont know what hes doing but Ill give you a head's up on me. Im currently a student at indiana university-bloomington, Right now im working on getting a BS in Economics. Right now im employed by IBM right now for an internship. After getting my degree I plan on working for about 5 years then go back to college and get a MBA in management. As far as bullshyt I think he wants to be a rocket scientist.

sinew

Clitpickle
morelos said:
:D g'luck in your endeavors. remember to take it seriously, but be ready to emergency-relax when you start feeling burnt out. if you want to talk about educational opportunities or paths or anything you're unsure about, let me know; i've studied at top public and private schools as well as in lesser-known, smaller institutions. i have a great deal of experience in many fields.

it's good to see you're taking education seriously. it will help you become a more refined, thoughtful individual and it will help you grow as a person indefinitely!

~ dan ~

ps - just ignore the poinless negativity and attacks, unless they reflect on you.
Ok, thanks alot for your help man, if I have any more questions about education i'll ask you, thanks. Later.

sinew

Clitpickle
pimpyobitch said:
I dont know what hes doing but Ill give you a head's up on me. Im currently a student at indiana university-bloomington, Right now im working on getting a BS in Economics. Right now im employed by IBM right now for an internship. After getting my degree I plan on working for about 5 years then go back to college and get a MBA in management. As far as bullshyt I think he wants to be a rocket scientist.
I was considering business as a career path but I like math more so I decided upon engineering. When your done your studies you should try out for the installment of "The Apprentice" thats coming out :D .

pimpyobitch

Banned - What an Asshat!
If you like math so much go into economics, there plenty there. Calculus, statistics, and Ecometrics.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
'Cmon guys. he's trying to post real stuff here. obviously trying to sort out his future.

Take it from me sinew. What moleros said about not getting burnt out is soooo true..
See, I consider myself to be successful in my field (Systems Engineering). I have a good job designing and implimenting Voice and data networks for fortune 500 and 100 companies, and ISP's. But it was a struggle.

You'll find along the way people who you want to shoot, because as you sit there racking your brain, studying and trying to keep up with all the new technologies, they just barely crack a book and ace the tests.

Don't let it get you down. Find the method that's best for you to handle the infor mation O&R (Obtain and Retain).

And very important if you feel yourself getting burnt out.....stop.......unwind......go back later. Or you'll find yourself reading whole chapters and having no clue what you just rtead.

morelos

lexicon incognito
pimpyobitch said:
If you like math so much go into economics, there plenty there. Calculus, statistics, and Ecometrics.
there isn't much math in economics; it's mostly statistics, which mathematicians the world around agree isn't math. in fact, we tend to hate statistics. statistics seem to have been invented to enable man to more slyly lie ("the numbers show that..."). the actual 'math' that happens in economics gets very repetitive. the math involved in an MBA is more engaging.

i've taught all of this crap.

~ dan ~

morelos

lexicon incognito
maxpower said:
You'll find along the way people who you want to shoot, because as you sit there racking your brain, studying and trying to keep up with all the new technologies, they just barely crack a book and ace the tests.
man, this is so true. even though i left the computer industry about three years ago, i find myself installing new operating systems and building up new hardware in both a workstation and server environment just because i need to keep up with the technology. i frequently read some of the more "boring" technical articles online so i can stay in shape. i had a minor in CS after i decided i didn't want to finish a major.

and you know what? it doesn't just happen with technology. i also subscribe to two very different math periodicals so i can stay up with new developments and points of view in my field.

~ dan ~

pimpyobitch

Banned - What an Asshat!
Sinew, Give me an idea of who im talking about. Tell me what grade you will be in, gpa, in such, ill see if I can find you some schools.

sinew

Clitpickle
MaxPower said:
'Cmon guys. he's trying to post real stuff here. obviously trying to sort out his future.

Take it from me sinew. What moleros said about not getting burnt out is soooo true..
See, I consider myself to be successful in my field (Systems Engineering). I have a good job designing and implimenting Voice and data networks for fortune 500 and 100 companies, and ISP's. But it was a struggle.

Don't let it get you down. Find the method that's best for you to handle the infor mation O&R (Obtain and Retain).

And very important if you feel yourself getting burnt out.....stop.......unwind......go back later. Or you'll find yourself reading whole chapters and having no clue what you just rtead.
Ok, thanx man, I got a lot of respect for you guys who are like really educated like you and morelos, keep up the good work, your only making us humans look better. later.