WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Carl Jung and Synchronicity

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Carl Jung is a widely accepted father of PSYCHOLOGY, although a lot of his theories are very unable to be proven. Kind of like Freud, but Jung's ideas are a lot more farfetched than Freud's ... I mean, it's easy to understand that sexual drive is natural in humans, but Carl Jung's theories involve demons etc...

The main thing I'm interested in about Jung is Synchronicity, or certain things happening for certain reasons, or that sometimes something being "Just a coincidence" is something more than that...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

Jung believes that sometimes things happen because they're meant to happen, but if things were meant to happen, that means there's a path we're supposed to be following each day, meaning that murderers are MEANT to be murderers, and that people who win the lottery are MEANT to win the lottery... This could also be applied to Nostradamus and possibly even further to LSD (I think thats what he was on whenever he made predictions...) unlocking our own futures for us and possibly being a "psychic" part of the brain that we have yet to know about... If this were true, however, people would seek to change parts about themselves to stop a certain event from happening... It's kind of paradoxial here, because would the event stop from happening, or would the changes actually cause the event to occur ...

That's way off topic, though...

I think that Jung was on to something with all of his theories and such, but not quite to the point where he was correct just yet... Maybe that unconscious voice in your head (the anima, or animus in jungian terms) IS something more than just electrical waves, but not a Demon or spirit as Jung suggested...
What do you think about Carl Jung's theories?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
synchronicity is one of the more interesting concepts (re)introduced to the concious brain during lsd useage.. that two people can both stand and say simultaneously "i think i'm turning into a bear" is both profound and startling, if you are on the lsd.. otherwise not so much.. my favorite lsd enhanced perception is synaesthesia, the ability to mix the senses, for example being able to hear a picture.. or taste a sound..
the human mind is capable of some amazing things, i assume they lay dormant most of the time due to them not proving useful during the evolution we went through to get where we are now.. i think we filter out synchronicity because we were conditioned in our role as hunter/hunted to notice differences in patterns more than similarities.. if we were noticing all the gazelles were walking in synch we might never notice the lion walking behind us..

Boycott

Soul Doubt
void said:
synchronicity is one of the more interesting concepts (re)introduced to the concious brain during lsd useage.. that two people can both stand and say simultaneously "i think i'm turning into a bear" is both profound and startling, if you are on the lsd.. otherwise not so much.. my favorite lsd enhanced perception is synaesthesia, the ability to mix the senses, for example being able to hear a picture.. or taste a sound..
the human mind is capable of some amazing things, i assume they lay dormant most of the time due to them not proving useful during the evolution we went through to get where we are now.. i think we filter out synchronicity because we were conditioned in our role as hunter/hunted to notice differences in patterns more than similarities.. if we were noticing all the gazelles were walking in synch we might never notice the lion walking behind us..
I've always been interested in synaesthesia... I think I might have to try LSD just to smell a sound or something...

Well, this being said, perhaps LSD just unlocks all the "doors" in the brain...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Boycott said:
I've always been interested in synaesthesia... I think I might have to try LSD just to smell a sound or something...

Well, this being said, perhaps LSD just unlocks all the "doors" in the brain...
i am not advocating illegal drug use. - void legal dept.

most if not all lsd available now is not lsd, or often even close to being lsd.. just a word to the wise.. do research locally and here before putting your synapses on the line..

the best analogy for what lsd does in the mind that i have heard is this..
the mind is a collection of rooms, with some rooms open all the time, some rooms open occasionally and some rooms never open at all in normal conciousness.. the chemical soup that is your brain has all the keys to the mind, and opens them in a specified order as long as you are in good mental health.. lsd disables the keyholder, takes the keys and runs through all the rooms unlocking everything as it goes through.. your trip is this chaos.

also bear in mind lsd when used experimentally on people suffering from insanity resulted in temporary sanity, expect the opposite.

but they also gave spiders lsd and they made the most precise webs ever, it does help you think well if the dose is right..

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I just want to experience it, so I can make judgements based on what I felt, rather than what I observe... Do you think I'd be crazy to go to a hospital or somewhere to ask for them to use it on me? heh

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Boycott said:
I just want to experience it, so I can make judgements based on what I felt, rather than what I observe... Do you think I'd be crazy to go to a hospital or somewhere to ask for them to use it on me? heh
50 years too late ;)

did you look at erowid? there are very good alternatives and not all are illegal.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Boycott said:

Get you some peyote buttons instead.:D

VERY unable to be proven

Boycott said:
Carl Jung is a widely accepted father of PSYCHOLOGY, although a lot of his theories are very unable to be proven. Kind of like Freud.
Freud and Jung have nothing to do with modern psychology. Freudian and Jungian concepts are quaint archaic notions that DON'T stand up to the scientific method. Freud and Jung are merely romantic, artistic fodder.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I said Father of Psychology... I did not say "Modern Psychologists" ... usually when someone is the father of something, they helped produce or invent it ;)

Boycott said:
I said Father of Psychology... I did not say "Modern Psychologists" ... usually when someone is the father of something, they helped produce or invent it ;)
But the 'psychology' that Freud and Jung birthed was deformed, mongloid useless. Thier progeny proved infertile and have subsequently died within the field of psychology. Freud and Jung's cute lil tard babies continue to thrive in literature and art though!

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Yes, We're speaking about the concepts though, not whether their theories are shit or not...

Boycott said:
Yes, We're speaking about the concepts though, not whether their theories are shit or not...
You lost me there Boy. :confused: But I think I agree with you?

Wait! I think I think I got it! You're using Freud and Jung's "concepts" as a basis for discussion despite the fact that "their theories are shit." Cool.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Jungs analytic psychology is pseudoscience. It has no concrete, empiric basis. Jung was freuds student but their relationship dried down as Jung was more into mythical stuff. Freuds other students also disliked the son of a bishop (I am quite sure of this. maybe?)
Jungs many theories are torn apart and disproved. Among the most famous is the theory of architypes. Jung is more a philosofist, an anthropologist and a myth-collector than a "true psychologist". Jung based hois theories on subjective knowledge, using his own dreams, emotions and such and connected them to ancient mythologies, thinkin "this is hoow science is made". There are some fine thoughts in his works, but i dont see him as a "good source".

Anyways, read away. It is educating, even from a critical point of view