WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Carl Sagan's message answered?

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
In 1974, the astronomer Carl Sagan composed a short message that was broadcast to space from a telescope in Puerto Rico. In 2001 this crop circle response apparently showed up in front of a telescope in England:

I had not heard of this until yesterday. How does a something like this not get more media attention? Are Jodi Arias and OJ Simpson really that interesting? If this is a hoax, it is pretty elaborate.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
It's an obvious hoax. If there are intelligent aliens that have interest in communicating with us, they'd probably be transmitting similar signals back to us or just send someone to visit, not pushing our grass around. That's especially true in this case, considering they can apparently understand our signals, binary code, and speak english.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Masquerade

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
It's an obvious hoax. If there are intelligent aliens that have interest in communicating with us, they'd probably be transmitting similar signals back to us or just send someone to visit, not pushing our grass around. That's especially true in this case, considering they can apparently understand our signals, binary code, and speak english.
So humans have experts in cryptography and linguistics but an alien race, which is widely agreed to be more advanced (should they exist) does not? Okay.

It's like people who think the moon landing was faked when video recording equipment at the time was not advanced enough for this. The live footage, if faked, would have required a special transfer to be the correct resolution for television broadcast. This would have needed to be instantaneous. Unfortunately for the deniers, this technology didn't exist at the time. It would have been easier for them to go to the moon than it would have been to fake the moon landing.

I don't disagree that crop circles seem like a silly way to communicate. We do fly machines, however, and creating a large image on the ground which would be easily visible from the sky does not seem too much of a stretch.

I suppose it's just hard for me to understand how some people deny every single claim of the paranormal. Surely some of the UFO footage out there is real. Imagine being the guy who shot some actual footage only to have a bunch of people tell you how you faked it.

I don't know, but I don't deny the possibility.

Edit: There is a quote I would like to leave the deniers of the paranormal with, and I assure you it is not taken out of context. In fact, I dare you to find the actual interview where this is said. I have linked directly to the interview. Sometimes even the establishment lets things slip. When they do, we must make a point to remember! Not only remember, but tell what you know to those who do not know. It's the responsible thing to do.

"There is a monolith..." - Buzz Aldrin (speaking of ancient ruins on a Marian moon).

Haresy

Misanthropic Blender
Premium
It's possible, but unlikely. I believe aliens view us as the trailer park of the universe, and are planning to steer clear until we can stop blowing ourselves up over petty differences.

• 1Agree
Reactions: pissed 'n horny

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
It's possible, but unlikely. I believe aliens view us as the trailer park of the universe, and are planning to steer clear until we can stop blowing ourselves up over petty differences.
I think it's wishful thinking to assume that aliens would be peaceful creatures just because they are more advanced. Their actions seem to be more like that of military recon than a concerned big brother. The thing I find alarming is the agreement to shoot down any possible ET as a matter of national security. Instead, all indications are that if aliens exists, the government is in collusion with them under a shroud of secrecy.

I treat my cat like a good friend, yet I took him to have his nuts chopped off. I had my only my interests in mind (no scent marking). What might that say about what a superior intelligence might do to us?

• 1Agree
Reactions: vistascan

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Where I don't have an affirmative stance either way on if we have/are being visited by alien race(s), I don't see this as proof of an answer from an alien race.

I do believe that there is enough proof that there are many alien species of varied stages of evolution inhabiting the universe. But I have not seen significant unchallenged proof that they have visited us and I have seen no proof that they have not. This just falls into the category of not being proof.

That pictograph that Carl Sagan transmitted has been public record forever. I've seen it many times on documentaries and in print. There is already overwhelming evidence that crop circles are being made by people, including confessions of hoax and video documentation of it being carried out. Why would anyone think that this particular crop circle could not have been made by humans?

Masquerade

Banned - What an Asshat!

"We got a message from 3.815.77-2 today."
"What? Aren't they still using radio?"
"Yeah they sent it trillions of seconds ago."
"Haha. Go figure. ... So what'd it say?"
"Well that's the thing! Nobody really knows. But - probably just a coincidence, it means 'Mow my lawn' in Gorblaxian."
"I hope you know what this means."
"That we should mow their lawn?"
"Well that but also conspiracy theories."
"Oh my god I just had the greatest idea! What if we really did mow their lawn? Like cut their crops or something?"
"Yes! Oh god yes!"

• 1Like
Reactions: Farceur

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
So humans have experts in cryptography and linguistics but an alien race, which is widely agreed to be more advanced (should they exist) does not? Okay.
No, genius, I said that if they've got the technology and ability to comprehend the message we were putting out in binary code, not to mention they can apparently speak english according to that video, they'd be able to transmit back in a similar way, not caveman bullshit like scribbling on the ground in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if there is alien life out there, but this case is an obvious hoax.

53V3N

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Premium
If you were a member of an advanced race of beings would you visit this planet? I wouldn't.

I'd look at this planet and say, "What a bunch of fucking assholes!"

I think the "Me Generation" of the 80's really brought this whole, "We're so important that anyone would want to be part of our existence" philosophy into the forefront.

We're a piece of shit planet on the outskirts of a mediocre galaxy that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the Universe.

And if we have been visited, we obviously didn't make enough of an impression to warrant contact.

Dark Fader

[]D [] []V[] []D
When thinking about Aliens, or alien technology, one makes an interpretation and assumptions based entirely on their impression, which was developed here on Earth, our biology, technology, and by Hollywood movies.

You can't apply the same logic in trying to grasp what they are, how they exist, or even communicate.
it's myopic, and ignorant.

You have to approach this subject as an Agnostic would Religion.
A totally level playing field, and completely open to anything, no matter how absurd it sounds.

steelasp

poontangwrecker
By the way... When I was in High School, we went on a field trip to the radio telescope in Arecibo, the biggest one on the planet. It was impressive. You may remember this radio telescope from such films as: Goldeneye, and Contact. Now, despite the facility being mentioned in practically every television documentary abut aliens, the scientists at the Arecibo observatory flatly denied having anything to do with the S.E.T.I. program. WHAT ARE THEY HIDING???

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
No, genius, I said that if they've got the technology and ability to comprehend the message we were putting out in binary code, not to mention they can apparently speak english according to that video, they'd be able to transmit back in a similar way, not caveman bullshit like scribbling on the ground in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if there is alien life out there, but this case is an obvious hoax.

You can rationalize shit like this to yourself any way you choose, but the evidence provided here is better evidence than you could ever provide. Besides, their story is more intriguing than "that's obviously a hoax" with absolutely no explanation. You are an obvious hoax.

Edit: The lady in the video is a bit nutty. That means dick about the footage.

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
Yeah, well, my astral projection fucked all of your moms, and Carl Sagan's mom. That shit isn't geometrically perfect, and there weren't any UFOs. :p

/thread

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Yeah, well, my astral projection fucked all of your moms, and Carl Sagan's mom. That shit isn't geometrically perfect, and there weren't any UFOs. :p

/thread
That was some crazy shit. First a video of some out of focus lights in the distance (total proof). Then video of a crop circle which we know can never be made by human hands. Fuck all those hoaxters that have confessed to making them. And fuck their demonstration videos!

• 1Agree
Reactions: steelasp

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
That was some crazy shit. First a video of some out of focus lights in the distance (total proof). Then video of a crop circle which we know can never be made by human hands. Fuck all those hoaxters that have confessed to making them. And fuck their demonstration videos!
Just because some guys can make them, and have admitted to making them, does not mean that they were all made by men. Perhaps a high likelihood... but that's not proof that all instances are man made.