WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

cars that ticket you for speeding.. coming soon.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
as you may know britain has a lot of cameras that take pictures of speeders and post the vehicle owner a ticket..
they are proposing going a step further.

Car which will book you for speeding Sep 26 2005

http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0150business/0100news/tm_objectid=16176742&method=full&siteid=50003&headline=car-which-will-book-you-for-speeding-name_page.html

Roadside speed cameras will be redundant eventually because vehicles will automatically cop themselves for speeding.
This is the plan of the Department for Transport, which has commissioned companies to develop aircraft-style black boxes for cars.
They will record every aspect of a vehicle's performance and automatically issue a ticket every time the vehicle exceeds a speed limit.
The black boxes will be linked to central computers via the Global Positioning System so that the prevailing speed limit is known at any given point in time.
Every time a vehicle breaks the limit the black boxes will send a signal to the computer with the car registration number and a ticket will be issued automatically.
The black box will also be able to slow vehicles down by over-riding the engine management system and in the case of stolen vehicles will be able to bring them to a complete halt.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Then why make cars that go soo damm fast? Is it a trick? make fast cars, have them ticket themselves. They make money, we get broke?

I hate the idea, I drive fast... so it would affect me if it was ever put into place in Florida.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
wont work... people will find a way to disable the system...

Quitii

Spank {the monkey}
i dont know about any of you, but i personally wouldnt feel safe in a car where i didnt have complete control of my car. not to mention that sometimes you HAVE to go over the limit to avoid an accident. not to mention that would hurt the economy to have the boxes in cars. many cops would lose their jobs (not that i like more cops, just stating a fact about how stupid people can be). i personally dont see ANY upside to that.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
heh.. i was thinking of something a bit more tactful like perhaps a volt limiter on the circuit that checks speed so even if your doing 175mph it'll think your doing 25mph... but I guess a sledge would work...

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Darklight said:
heh.. i was thinking of something a bit more tactful like perhaps a volt limiter on the circuit that checks speed so even if your doing 175mph it'll think your doing 25mph... but I guess a sledge would work...
Yeah, but then you won't be able to go on any roads that have speed limits higher than 25, and you'd get ticketed for going 25 on the freeway or something.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
void said:
as you may know britain has a lot of cameras that take pictures of speeders and post the vehicle owner a ticket..

http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0150business/0100news/tm_objectid=16176742&method=full&siteid=50003&headline=car-which-will-book-you-for-speeding-name_page.html

Roadside speed cameras will be redundant eventually because vehicles will automatically cop themselves for speeding.
This is the plan of the Department for Transport, which has commissioned companies to develop aircraft-style black boxes for cars.
They will record every aspect of a vehicle's performance and automatically issue a ticket every time the vehicle exceeds a speed limit.
The black boxes will be linked to central computers via the Global Positioning System so that the prevailing speed limit is known at any given point in time.
Every time a vehicle breaks the limit the black boxes will send a signal to the computer with the car registration number and a ticket will be issued automatically.
The black box will also be able to slow vehicles down by over-riding the engine management system and in the case of stolen vehicles will be able to bring them to a complete halt.
and guess who has to pay for the fucking thing. we do!
i heard about this a few months ago down the pub. just about everyone agreed it wasnt practicable and a completely moronic idea, period.

the longer i live is this shithole of a country, the more i want to leave it. too many fucking faggots running it.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
Nailbomb said:
Yeah, but then you won't be able to go on any roads that have speed limits higher than 25, and you'd get ticketed for going 25 on the freeway or something.
thats why its a limiter not a regulator... a regulator would keep it at 25 no matter what.. a limiter just wont let it go over 25... but true on the freeway.. you can get ticketed for going too slow... stfu cops!!!

did anyone know that some cars that have onstar already tell people your speed. they just can't exact it to say the speed limit on the street your on unless someone audits the records and they decide to pursue.... just putting it out there

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
on star doesnt really care unless that speed goes to 0 in 1.2 seconds and the airbag sensor goes off...

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
void said:

I dont like it....not one bit....

Boycott

Soul Doubt
There's a few problems here - If you're in the middle of traffic, or the freeway or something and just happen to hit 81 for a while (or the least possible number) and not know about it, and you get a ticket... I don't think that cops even give tickets to people going say 65 on a 60, or possibly even 70 on a 60, but they're looking for the people with the 80's on a 60 - which is why you need that human judgement, rather than a computer... When I drive I find myself going faster than I need to or slower (but let it be known I'm just not used to driving yet) and it would greatly hinder people's learning to drive... The very first day I got my G1 we were on my street and my dad said, "Just push the gas down as far as it will go - just so you know exactly what you can do with this car"... Sure enough - I've never put the gas as far as it can go again ...

back to the first point - if you're travelling with traffic (since these black boxes will not be in every car) and traffic happens to be travelling at a speed above the limit, Can you say Pileup?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
cops will let 80 go on a 65 sometimes. i was driving on a back country road that just went striaght for miles upon miles. i was doing 80 and i passed a cop and he didn't seam to care. unless the cop is a dick i think they just pull you over if you are speeding in a situation that makes it dangerous, or if you are being rediculous and doing 100 in a 50

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Ummm,some GM cars have had black boxes for years. They record the events continually, so they can review the results just before a crash; speed, braking action, steering wheel input, yaw angles, etc. I live in Illinois, where many people have IPass, an automatic toll collection device. I you have one, tolls are half as much than if you don't. What most people don't know is the Tollway Authority has placed IPass receivers at various places along the tollways for "traffic flow evaluation". So they already can determine your speed from the time difference between these receivers. Eventually when the Tollway Authority decides they need more revenue, they'll start mailing speeding tickets out based on your speed calculated between receivers and/or toolbooths. But that's not the worst part- Lawyers have already subpoenaed these records to prove a vehicle was in a certain area at a certain time for use at trial against the drivers/defendants. Big Brother is already here, and he's got you under his thumb.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
tw33k said:
I live in Illinois, where many people have IPass, an automatic toll collection device.
What the fuck? When did they add tolls to Illinois roads?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
tw33k said:
What most people don't know is the Tollway Authority has placed IPass receivers at various places along the tollways for "traffic flow evaluation". So they already can determine your speed from the time difference between these receivers. Eventually when the Tollway Authority decides they need more revenue, they'll start mailing speeding tickets out based on your speed calculated between receivers and/or toolbooths.
they already do that in france.. i've heard of people that chose to wait on the shoulder just before the exit of the toll road as they had travelled it too fast..

don't all new vehicles have 'insurance' boxes?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
So car companies will make cars go at 200+ km/h, AND add a device to bust speeding.. Oh, the irony.