Castration without anesthesia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferengi

Yay fire!
Two West Virginia men pleaded guilty yesterday to practicing veterinary medicine without a license for castrating an unruly steed during a horse show last year.

"It's just something that we did," Ronnie Bowens, one of the defendants, said after his appearance before a Pike County judge. "We really didn't expect any trouble from it."

Lisa Moore, a fellow horse-show trainer, filed an animal-cruelty complaint in June against Bowens, of Delbarton, W.Va., the owner of the horse, and Herbert Messer, of Charleston, W.Va., who performed the procedure.

Moore said in her complaint that Bowens arranged for Messer to castrate the horse in a trailer because it was misbehaving. Messer is not a veterinarian.

"People say horses can't scream, but it was screaming," Moore said. "Every other horse there was hollering back. It was absolutely terrible."

Bowens and Messer avoided 30-day jail sentences. Pike District Judge Darrel Mullins ordered those sentences probated, but he fined each man $300.

Bowens said shortly after the charges were filed that people routinely castrate horses that won't be used in a breeding program. He said the procedure makes high-strung horses gentler.

The horse in question, a Paso Fino, fully recovered from the procedure, Bowens said at the time.

Pike County Attorney Howard Keith Hall initially filed to dismiss the charges, but decided to withdraw the motion after receiving letters of protest from across Kentucky and from other states, including New York and Texas.

Moore said pressing charges as a private citizen wasn't easy.

"This ought to be an example for people to step forward and help the animals," she said. "They are innocent and have to take whatever is put on them. If people will take a stand, they will find that there are a whole lot of people who will back them up."

Dr. Brett Woodie, a veterinarian at the Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, said horses should be castrated only by veterinarians and only after the animal has been sedated and given an anesthetic.

"Obviously, the veterinarian is going to have access to appropriate drugs and medications that a layperson will not be able to use," he said.

Woodie said he believes few horse owners would consider performing the procedure themselves.

Source: Courier Journal - Jan 6, 2005

WTF?! A FUCKING THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR FINE? Boy you gotta love the fucking justice system :mfinger:

Those fuckers should have spent time in prison and been banned from ever owning horses again. That shit is just ridiculous.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I think it should be a law. Castrate all male animals for misbehaving. Ah, the possibilities.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
We castrate bull calves on the farm at home. We take this clamp thing and squeeze thier balls until it smashes all of the little bloodvessles to their nuts. Then we let them run around, and after about a week or three, thier nuts fall off, and no more bull calf. Steers for hamburger! If we don't clamp them, we band them, which is equivalent to putting a little rubber band on their nutsack and leavin it on there until it falls off. :thumbsup:

Who wants a steak?

ferengi

Yay fire!
brainwashmonkey said:
We castrate bull calves on the farm at home. We take this clamp thing and squeeze thier balls until it smashes all of the little bloodvessles to their nuts. Then we let them run around, and after about a week or three, thier nuts fall off, and no more bull calf. Steers for hamburger! If we don't clamp them, we band them, which is equivalent to putting a little rubber band on their nutsack and leavin it on there until it falls off. :thumbsup:

Who wants a steak?
Dude that makes my fuckin nuts hurt just reading that :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Nice...

Who's hungry?

Got balls?

blw72887

Just a poster
WTF?! A FUCKING THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR FINE? Boy you gotta love the fucking justice system

Ahh, the glory in our justice system :rolleyes:

We castrate bull calves on the farm at home. We take this clamp thing and squeeze thier balls until it smashes all of the little bloodvessles to their nuts. Then we let them run around, and after about a week or three, thier nuts fall off, and no more bull calf. Steers for hamburger! If we don't clamp them, we band them, which is equivalent to putting a little rubber band on their nutsack and leavin it on there until it falls off.

Ouch, that makes my nuts hurt just reading that.

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
To castrate a goat you put a rubber band around the base of the wrinkle sack really tight. They just turn black and fall off.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Yup... since cows are bigger, we have a special tool for it! But you gotta make sure both nuts are below the band or castration doesn't work. :thumbsdn:

No body wants a one balled bull or Billy goat for that matter. :thumbsdn:

brainwashmonkey said:
Yup... since cows are bigger, we have a special tool for it! But you gotta make sure both nuts are below the band or castration doesn't work. :thumbsdn:

No body wants a one balled bull or Billy goat for that matter. :thumbsdn:

I can already imagine a cow desperately trying to remove a nut.

(Pinch) MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, (pinch) MOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Castrating little piglets is even better, when you are ready to ween them, you take them, flip them over, and slit the sack with a box razor, and manually remove the two sperm factories! Squirt a little iodine on the wound and let 'em run. :D

bnccoder

Postaholic
Castration without anesthesia is not uncommon around here. At school the ag teachers do it all the time and the balls usually end up in some teacher's desk. I've seen it done with rubber bands and clamps but never in school. If you're wondering...

Jim Ned High School
Tuscola, Texas
(325) 554-7755

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
In one school, there's a course in caring for farm animals. One part of the course teaches how to castrate pigs, and teaches by example and hands-on learning. It is customary for students to use their mouths to castrate said pigs, although they can choose not to.

What? Biting off a nutsack? I'd rather not :thumbsdn:

Icarus said:
In one school, there's a course in caring for farm animals. One part of the course teaches how to castrate pigs, and teaches by example and hands-on learning. It is customary for students to use their mouths to castrate said pigs, although they can choose not to.

The more I read these forums, the faster I lose faith in America.

ferengi

Yay fire!
Icarus said:

Holy fuck, that's just sick!

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I dont kcondone the biting of pig nuts, but seriously, unless you grew up on a farm or a ranch, you really would not know how or why things are done the way they are done. I never castrated and animal, thank god, I dont think I could, but I have sheered sheep and milked cows and chopped off chickens heads. I fucking hate chickens so that was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.