WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

CD Burner Burns Coasters, Need Advice *BAD EXPERIENCES WITH LITE-ON/ARTEC*

Descent

Hella Constipated
So yeah, I can't really test out the public build of Avalon until I get a burner.

It was getting spotty for a few weeks, to the point where it would skip cutscenes in FreeSpace 2 to the point where the machine would nearly lockup, and then it started to slow down games when it accessed the disc - it cut my framerate in half!

It was an Artec WSM-52X. I had a Lite-On 40x CD-ROM, and it ran like shit in my old 486DX2-66 and just about every other machine I had. I also had a 48X Lite-On CD-RW drive that was so god damn nasty that the buffer was bad - It constantly stayed at around 3%, and upon 50% completion the speed would ratchet down to 8X, and it often failed to burn. It died a similar death as my other Lite-On did - they just randomly stopped working one day.

I had a Ricoh 2x1x6x IDE CD-RW drive that was a fucking workhorse. This thing must have gone through 4000 hours of burning in it's life - my father would burn 50 CD's with it regularly IN A ROW - then he gave it to me. It worked for a LONG time - but one day, everything it burned became corrupt.

Sadly, Ricoh no longer makes CD-RW drives.

Besides Asus, who should I look for? Their DVD-DL/CD-RW combo drives are uber fucking pricey.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Have you checked the upper and lower filters in the Registry?

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
LiteOn/NEC/Plextor

LiteOn/NEC/Plextor make the best damn burners out there. Just about everyone-elses' burners are rebadged LiteOn/NEC units. That includes HP, Panasonic, Dell, you name it and it's a LiteOn/NEC.

My 48x LiteOn CD-R(W) unit is a workhorse, as is my NEC 3510a DL DVD-R(W). The CD-R(W) has well over 2000 burns and the NEC has well over 600 burns. Both burned at the maximum rated speed for the media used.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Good point. I think I'll give Lite-On another go.

I have a 4x USB burner and a 4x CD-RW drive (IDE), but the latter seems to have vanished (It's around here somewhere!), and the former just blows cock. I only use the USB IOmega one with my laptop. Thank god it was a freebie. The thing is so sporadic and unreliable I can't even begin to explain...

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106965