WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

cd flashy lite thingy

Signify

Particinator
hey all.
o.k, heres my problem. whenever i put a music cd into my computer, the lttle light just flashes orange. it doesnt even recognize the cd. this is a problem for me because i keep all my music on the computer. I dont use kazza or anything like it. gimmie a hand?

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
somtimes it won't do a autorun and you need to just open up windows media player or whatever mustic program you use and open up the music from there.

Signify

Particinator
ya, but realplayer and windows media dont recognize a cd, when i go to the cd option its says "pleaz insert cd"
i just got a bunch of cd's to so this sucks

Descent

Hella Constipated
Sounds to me like your drive is dying. I got a DVD-ROM drive as a present a couple years back, put a DVD-ROM I got two weeks ago into it, and it just read it as an audio CD. Turns out all I had to do was put in an old 10X DVD-ROM drive from an old Presario. It works fine, so I'm just gonna keep it.

You should try swapping out another drive from another PC in your house...Do you live on Long Island? I could do it for you then...

I would recommend a replacement with this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-120-178&depa=1

I'm more of an Artec drive fan. They are a little known company that makes durable, fast, and quiet drives...I used to be a Lite-On fan until my second Lite-On never worked. I also have an Artec scanner and it is great...It's just a pain because I don't have a place to permanently put it!

Jung

???
Premium
Darkness_Reaper said:
ya, but realplayer and windows media dont recognize a cd, when i go to the cd option its says "pleaz insert cd"
i just got a bunch of cd's to so this sucks
Have you tried cleaning the lens on the player? You can use some alcohol and a q-tip and try cleaning it first. Alternatley, you can buy lens cleaning discs, that'll do the job for you. You might want to try one of those before buying a new drive.

Also, if you're trying to rip your CDs, you can try a better CD ripper. I use Exact Audio Copy, it's by far the best one out there. Another good one, and probably the second best, is CDex.

Signify

Particinator
o.k, just dl cdex....nothing really happened with the cd
ummm, as i have said before, i am fairly computer illiterate. how would i get in to clean the lens?
yah, i have a mitsumi cr-48xate....if that makes any diffrence, i wouldnt know
im trying to get cds like pink floyd on

Jung

???
Premium
Darkness_Reaper said:
o.k, just dl cdex....nothing really happened with the cd
CDex would only be useful for ripping the CD to mp3 or wav. I only mentioned it incase your CD ripper wasn't reading the drive, which happens sometimes. Sorry if I confused you.
ummm, as i have said before, i am fairly computer illiterate. how would i get in to clean the lens?
If you don't know what to look for inside of the drive, then just go buy a CD lens cleaning kit. You should be able to find a good one for under $10-15, and even if you end up replacing your drive it'll be usefull in the future.
im trying to get cds like pink floyd on
Ok, so I take it that you are, in fact, trying to rip your CDs to mp3, correct? Or are you just trying to play them?

Either way, try cleaning your Drive first, then we'll tackle that. Make sure you try different CDs, both data and audio. Try opening them through My Computer, not just the ripper/media player etc.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Darkness_Reaper said:
ya, but realplayer and windows media dont recognize a cd, when i go to the cd option its says "pleaz insert cd"i just got a bunch of cd's to so this sucks
Did it look like tthis? (See attached)

Descent

Hella Constipated
HAHA! Funny as hell!

Repped.

EDIT: I'll rep you as soon as a spread some around...