WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Cell phone mistaken for gun.

Invader

Last Living Souls
SANDOWN, N.H. — Schools scrambled to lock their doors yesterday as police scoured nearly 100 acres during a hunt for a man who was thought to have a black handgun aimed at his head.

It turned out the man was talking on his cell phone.

The misunderstanding that put local schools on alert began when a concerned resident called police at 7:45 a.m. to say she had just witnessed a man put a gun to his head as he walked down Royal Range Road toward Main Street, police Chief Joe Gordon said.

Can you say, what a fucking idiot?

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Do you have a link? I'm pretty sure people would like to read the full article :)

Invader

Last Living Souls
Errmm.. I wish I could post the link. But it will not let you read the full article unless you are subscribed to the paper online. See, the Salem Evening News is really gay. I hate it!:mad:

Invader

Last Living Souls
Full Article

SANDOWN, N.H. — Schools scrambled to lock their doors yesterday as police scoured nearly 100 acres during a hunt for a man who was thought to have a black handgun aimed at his head.

It turned out the man was talking on his cell phone.

The misunderstanding that put local schools on alert began when a concerned resident called police at 7:45 a.m. to say she had just witnessed a man put a gun to his head as he walked down Royal Range Road toward Main Street, police Chief Joe Gordon said.

Five hours later, police discovered the gun was actually a black cell phone that was pointed out from Bernard Lacarta's ear as he took his morning walk.

Gordon said Lacarta was only spotted once, but it was less than a quarter-mile from Sandown North Elementary School. Gordon's first thought was that his officers were about to deal with a suicidal person who may put the staff and students in danger.

While Fremont and Sandown police officers searched the heavily wooded area on all-terrain vehicles, students in first through third grades were about to get off buses and enter the school. Gordon said he had to make a quick decision on whether the schools would be in lock-down mode or if they should act out the school's emergency evacuation plan, which students first practiced three weeks ago.

"I had no reason to believe (the man) was in the school already," he said. "If I had brought (the students) to an off-site location, there would have been no staff at the location to supervise the students because they were already in school."

Officials said the woman who caused the stir was on her way to work when she spotted the man walking toward the woods and holding what she thought was a black handgun. She described him as a white male in his 30s wearing a black shirt and a red and black baseball cap. She also said the man waved to her as she drove by.

"Oftentimes you'll hear suicide by cop, he'll make a gesture that he's going to do it. We could have been dealing with that," Gordon said.

A quarter-mile down the road, Principal Jo-Ann K. Georgian was on alert and began to notify the students that they wouldn't be going outside for gym or recess because of the potential danger in the area.

Sandown North Elementary School was in full lock-down status while Sandown Central School about two miles away was in modified lock-down. But despite the opportunity for panic, Georgian said the students handled the situation well.

"Everything just went into place. We didn't have any panic. We were visible as administrators and guidance counselors and really put into effect everything we had practiced," she said.

And just as the staff was about to call every parent in the school to warn them of the danger, they got good news from the police chief.

Gordon, who was on foot with another officer approaching every door on Royal Range Road, Royal Range Extension and Hunt Pond Road had found the "suspect."

When he got to Lacarta's home, Gordon said the case was solved. Gordon knew Lacarta was a frequent walker and asked him if he had noticed anything suspicious. Gordon immediately noticed Lacarta's black shirt, shorts and orange and red ball cap.

Gordon said he was glad the situation had a peaceful ending and that the schools, police and fire personnel worked so well together. He added Lacarta was no threat.

"He was absolutely not holding a gun. He just walks every morning and waves every morning," he said. "We'll just look at it as something that could have been a horrible situation but was the best training experience we could get."

Officials later had the woman identify Lacarta to make sure they had the right man.

Georgian said students were sent home at the end of a school day with a letter that explained the situation.

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
Geez, since when did thay look like guns?

Jugular

volatile
This gets me thinking- I wonder if people were stupid like this 20 years ago, or if human stupidity just got worse and worse over the years.

magnolia

Postaholic
I think that with all the shootings in schools now, people are trigger happy. So to speak. They become over alert and they'll call on the smallest things. All I can say is, what if it really was a gun? I think she did the right thing even if it turned out to make her look stupid. She only had people's safety in mind.

Invader

Last Living Souls
magnolia said:
I think that with all the shootings in schools now, people are trigger happy. So to speak. They become over alert and they'll call on the smallest things. All I can say is, what if it really was a gun? I think she did the right thing even if it turned out to make her look stupid. She only had people's safety in mind.

Well, that is true, and now that I think about it I would of done the same exact thing.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Actually, the other night I was walking down the street and me and my friends were talking about Grand Theft auto... Some guy was talking on his cell phone, holding it with his shoulder in between his shoulder and his ear and he was lighting up a cigarette... It looked like he was aiming a gun... It made me jump a little bit - I have no clue why though ... Just paranoia?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Boycott said:
Actually, the other night I was walking down the street and me and my friends were talking about Grand Theft auto... Some guy was talking on his cell phone, holding it with his shoulder in between his shoulder and his ear and he was lighting up a cigarette... It looked like he was aiming a gun... It made me jump a little bit - I have no clue why though ... Just paranoia?
auto suggestion of a kind.. your subconcious was still deep in the video game..
you're probably like me, real life and make believe leak into each other and you 'see' things that are just suggested.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
vIoLeNcE0969 said:
i wouldve got out my rifle and shot it out of his hand lol
Go away and never return.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Nailbomb said:
Go away and never return.
nailbomb obviously disapproves of people who can't spell marilyn.. i can think of no other reason for that outburst.

oh, and maybe people who pretend to be snipers..

vIoLeNcE0969

Sir.vIoLeNcE
lol i never noticed that..i do know how to spell i just have my moments.
and i dont pretend to be good at shooting it would be SO easy to shoot some kids hand u must know

betoguakil

San Diego Chargers FAN!
there is some stupid people who judges things without a prove!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
betoguakil said:
there is some stupid people who judges things without a prove!
There are dates at the top of each post. PLEASE check them before you reply to a thread. Necro-posting is cool as long as you're adding substance to the topic. But otherwise it's just assinine.