WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Changing the FSB speed for overclocking..

Ok, I've though about overclocking my processor (sempron 3100+) and it's supposedly very easy for this particular processor. Now, this tutorial i'm looking at says;

To start, change your RAM:FSB ratio to something small like 1:2. This way, you won't be bringing your ram speeds beyond their stock speeds. You should never overclock your RAM and your CPU at the same time, because if the system crashes, you won't know which part is causing the crash. You will bring the ratio back up later on.

Second, increase all of your RAM timings to their longest setting. For example, if your CAS latency is 2.5, make it 4. Longer timings can sometimes allow for a better overclock, and you will quicken them back up later on.

Third, increase your CPU voltage by about 0.15v. So if its at 1.5, make it 1.65v. You may exceed this voltage later if you so choose.

Now the real overclocking starts. Increase your FSB by 5.
I'm ASSUMING that you are supposed to do that in the BIOS screen thing-a-ma-bob, but I went there, and know i'm at a loss, becaue there's no option to change any of that stuff.

So...any ideas? They say that it might be because it's from a brand name company. (mines from Compaq)

MY TUTORIAL CLICK!!11

:question: :question:

Jung

???
Premium
mines from Compaq
There's your problem; OEMs rarely, if ever, leave those options open in their BIOS, as it gives the user more things to mess with and possibly mess up. You're going to need a regular motherboard to overclock.

I'd suggest something from Asus or Abit. I'm not sure if the A7N8X series support Seproms, although they should, but they're great boards and overclock well. My 2600+ runs stable at over 3200+ speeds on a A7N8X-D.

Newegg doesn't seem to stock them anymore, but they did have this, which is a great board. (and cheap)

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
There's your problem; OEMs rarely, if ever, leave those options open in their BIOS, as it gives the user more things to mess with and possibly mess up. You're going to need a regular motherboard to overclock.

I'd suggest something from Asus or Abit. I'm not sure if the A7N8X series support Seproms, although they should, but they're great boards and overclock well. My 2600+ runs stable at over 3200+ speeds on a A7N8X-D.

Newegg doesn't seem to stock them anymore, but they did have this, which is a great board. (and cheap)
My bro has a A7N8XE-Deluxe, the grandaddy of Socket A boards, but that won't work for him.

Dull_Bullet, you have a Socket 754 CPU.

I'd recommend this motherboard personally:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127220

You run an X700 pro, right?

I ran CPU-Z, but all it says is "ASUS" , so i know i have an asus motherboard.

and i an 6600GT

edit: they used to be socket A, only the really really new ones are 64s

Descent

Hella Constipated
dull_bullet said:
I ran CPU-Z, but all it says is "ASUS" , so i know i have an asus motherboard.

and i an 6600GT

edit: they used to be socket A, only the really really new ones are 64s
Is it an AGP 6600GT or a PCI-E 6600GT?

My friend just had his Asus HP motherboard fail miserably.

wilko125

Rep My Post
um, look on the mobo for a maintence jumper these usually unlock any stuff in the mobo that has the potential to destroy your hardware :S

Descent

Hella Constipated
wilko125 said:
um, look on the mobo for a maintence jumper these usually unlock any stuff in the mobo that has the potential to destroy your hardware :S
Uh...Actually it's software locked in the BIOS :happysad:.

And it's never a good idea to flash an OEM BIOS with an Asus BIOS.