WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Charlie Murphy: Chapelle's Show is over

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/51326.htm
Chapelle's Show is over
New York Post

IT'S over.

At least that's what Dave Chappelle collaborator Charlie Murphy says about Comedy Central's wildly popular "Chappelle's Show," which has been on hiatus since last April, when Chappelle mysteriously left the country on what he called a "spiritual retreat" to South Africa.

Fans had been hopeful that Chappelle would return to finish the show's third season, but Murphy says not to hold your breath.

"I don't think Dave is going to do anymore," Murphy tells The Post.

"We shot about eight shows for the third season, and they're hilarious. They'll be released on DVD, I'm sure. But that's it."

Murphy should know. He's the "True Hollywood Stories" guy, whose real-life tales of hanging out with his younger brother, Eddie Murphy, and Rick James led to that ubiquitous "Chappelle's Show" catchphrase, "I'm Rick James, bitch!"

Murphy played himself in the "True Hollywood Stories" segments and was a writer on the show. Now he's doing stand-up comedy, including headlining at the Times Square comedy club Caroline's On Broadway from Aug. 11-14.

Chappelle, who walked away from a Comedy Central deal worth nearly $50 million, has been working on new stand-up material this summer.

"He probably wants to put a big show together, then put it on the road," Murphy says, adding that he still doesn't know why his boss pulled that disappearing act last spring.

Just the day before Chappelle left the country, he, Murphy and co-star Donnell Rawlings had filmed a skit called "Monsters, Inc." for the third season.

"It was hilarious," Murphy recalls. "I was Frankenstein. Dave was The Wolfman. Donnell was The Mummy. We were living together and experiencing problems, because we're monsters. But I thought it was because I was black that all these things were happening, not because I was Frankenstein.

"It was all fun, very normal," Murphy recalls.

But the next day, he came into work and Chappelle was gone.

"The ball's in Dave's court," Comedy Central's president, Doug Herzog, told reporters recently. "If you see him, tell him to phone home."

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
Well that sucks, that is one of my favorite shows...

magnolia

Postaholic
I have to say, I didn't like the show that much so it's no big loss for me. But I know it was a popular show, so I'm sorry for the rest of you and your loss.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Dave don't leave us!
:thumbsdn:

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I think it's for the best. Comedy of that quality can't repeat forever...and it would have lost it's edge in the near future with all the delays. Good show, Dave Chappelle. Definitely "the Tupac of TV".

Descent

Hella Constipated
LiberatioN said:
I think it's for the best. Comedy of that quality can't repeat forever...and it would have lost it's edge in the near future with all the delays. Good show, Dave Chappelle. Definitely "the Tupac of TV".

"Shake it, Chappelle. You wanna dance?"

One of my main gripes about Comedy Central and 1990's MTV is that they exploit artists for all their worth, do not pay them enough, or go against their wishes, i.e. BattleBots, The Chappelles Show, Beavis and Butthead, Ren and Stimpy.

And they all deserve an assraping for that.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Seems to me that Comedy Central is handling this with class. How would YOU feel about losing one of your biggest stars to the insane asylum? I'm rich Biotch!