WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines China says Japan needs to face up to history #2

therightiswrong

The right is wrong
Many Chinese people are upset that the Japanese government release of a new history bookbackground story . They say the Japanese government isn’t teaching its children about the horrors they committed during WWII. That may be a fact, I don’t know I haven’t read the book but I’ll assume it is.

What I say to the Chinese people protesting the Japanese government over this issue is, “ Don’t forget to look in your own text books your government publishes and make sure that they face up to history as well.”

To those Chinese government officials upset over the new textbook I say, “lead by example.”

To many world leaders have opinions on how other counties should run things without leading by example, most notably the good old USA.

Well, the USA isn't exactly pefect when writing it's own history books, either. We don't mention everything that has happened. History books try to refrain from showing the lesser sides of the country of the authors or wherever the book is going to.
I don't know what they expect Japan to do, really. It is their textbook. Do they expect them to humiliate and ridicule themselves? I'm not sure what the point of arguing over how someone writes a textbook is. If it teaches of the war and the results because of what happened and teaches the lesson, I believe that is all that matters. If it does not, then that's like writing a mathbook that teaches that 2+2 is 5.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I remember having a canadian history textbook that told how fantastic canada was in the war, but it forgot the fact that America helped too. It had maybe one mention of america but it said that the CANADIANS WON THE WAR. I studied WW2 before so i knew it was BS but still...

Boycott said:
I remember having a canadian history textbook that told how fantastic canada was in the war, but it forgot the fact that America helped too. It had maybe one mention of america but it said that the CANADIANS WON THE WAR. I studied WW2 before so i knew it was BS but still...
Heh, that's funny... Which war are you speaking of? I'm pretty confident that Canada isn't even mentioned in any wars of our textbooks. Actually, I don't remember ever seeing Canada in a textbook at all... According to our textbooks, you don't exist. There is just a great void between here and Alaska... lol. Not really, but I honestly have NOT seen Canada in a textbook, at least not that I can think of.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Awaken said:
Heh, that's funny... Which war are you speaking of? I'm pretty confident that Canada isn't even mentioned in any wars of our textbooks. Actually, I don't remember ever seeing Canada in a textbook at all... According to our textbooks, you don't exist. There is just a great void between here and Alaska... lol. Not really, but I honestly have NOT seen Canada in a textbook, at least not that I can think of.

World war I... apperantly we took a key part to us progressing to germany by taking vimy ridge

World war II... We apperantly played more of a role than the americans did in Operation Overlord --> We took Juno Beach, I'm pretty sure americans had the paratroopers and about 5 other beaches... we took A beach... I think we MAY have sent bombers over, but our bomber command was like 12 planes ... rofl...

HAH! My class just went over WWI and WWII. Operation Overlord, you say? HAH! Definitely no Canada mentioned in there. Britain and France helped, but no Canada...

WWI, wtf is Vimy Ridge? lol. See, apparently since we took no important role in that, it doesn't deserve mention at all in our textbooks. :thumbsdn:

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Awaken said:
HAH! My class just went over WWI and WWII. Operation Overlord, you say? HAH! Definitely no Canada mentioned in there. Britain and France helped, but no Canada...

WWI, wtf is Vimy Ridge? lol. See, apparently since we took no important role in that, it doesn't deserve mention at all in our textbooks. :thumbsdn:

ROFL! Nice!

Thats why I didn't do well in the in-school version of History Class because they concentrated on Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach so much... (Juno beach is where the juno awards came from apperantly... my history teacher was fucked up though)
I think we supplied Uranium for you guys though... Canada is unmentioned in everything? Odd, our book made it seem like Canada was god.

Boycott said:
ROFL! Nice!

Thats why I didn't do well in the in-school version of History Class because they concentrated on Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach so much... (Juno beach is where the juno awards came from apperantly... my history teacher was fucked up though)
I think we supplied Uranium for you guys though... Canada is unmentioned in everything? Odd, our book made it seem like Canada was god.
Heh. You're textbooks insist that Canada was God, yet our textbooks insist that you didn't even exist. Now that I think about it, where were you guys during the whole war, then? Heh..
If you supplied Uranium then you most definitely should have been mentioned in the textbooks. The whole entire Cold War was based off of nuclear power and who had the biggest and most powerful gain.
Even if you didn't supply the uranium for that, we won WWII because of the Atomic bomb. You would think something like that would earn Canada some mention in the textbooks.
Also, our textbooks insist on the USA being a superpower and how we are so superior. *shrugs*

Descent

Hella Constipated
Actually, my textbooks have A LOT of mention of Canada in WWII. It's called "World History: Patterns of Interaction."

Once again, the U.S. is potrayed as superior. Shit.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Awaken said:

Go back and study harder.

The Canadian military landed at Juno and took roughly 50% casualties. Given that France was fully occupied at the time there was no French military help to be had. The French underground, essentially a gurilla force, did help but not to the extent of the Canadians.

Vimy Ridge was a ridge in Norther France that was about 60 meters high and provided the allies with a good looksee at what the Germans were doing. As part of a larger offensive Canadian forces attacked, took and heald Vimy Ridge in late 1914.

The Canadian Army has contributed to pretty much every major war and has always done quite well for itself. It's not nearly the size of the US military, it has nowhere near the budget but it does a hell of a job. Them Canadians gots balls when it comes to getting shot at.

I read the textbooks. Don't be telling me to study. Apparently you used a different textbook, or something.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Awaken said:
I read the textbooks. Don't be telling me to study. Apparently you used a different textbook, or something.
No, I used google for about 2 minutes. ;)

Study harder. You'll learn more.

OK, I don't need to be told to study. And I wasn't referring to Google. I was referring to the textbooks if you had read the posts. We weren't referring to utfse, we were referring to our textbooks, the TOPIC OF THE THREAD BEING TEXTBOOKS...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Awaken said:
OK, I don't need to be told to study. And I wasn't referring to Google. I was referring to the textbooks if you had read the posts. We weren't referring to utfse, we were referring to our textbooks, the TOPIC OF THE THREAD BEING TEXTBOOKS...
Oh dear me... did a thread go off topic? How shameful!

I didn't tell you to study. I told you to study harder.

OK, but that's still pointless. There was no reason to say it at all. It was totally unnecessary in that post. If you were basing that whole post off of that line, then the whole post was pointless. I'm just saying that that line was pointless.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
Awaken said:
The whole entire Cold War was based off of nuclear power and who had the biggest and most powerful gain. Even if you didn't supply the uranium for that, we won WWII because of the Atomic bomb.
although you most likely wouldn't know this, studying at the hs school level, WWII was won before we dropped the atomic bombs. the japanese were ready to surrender but the USA didn't want it surrendering to Russia and be forced to create another Germany. so as the story goes, we dropped the bombs to keep the Russians (& everyone else, but us) from "conquering".

this of course worked as planned but it also created a cold war b/c the russians took justifiable offense, we nuked people who were willing to surrender, and the world has hated us ever since...the rest is history.

considering the blinding BS that students are taught the world over- it's not shocking there is so much hatred nor is the potential of WWIII, just not in the case of China and Japan starting it. this seems to be a minor rumble for now...

gurlgonewild said:
although you most likely wouldn't know this, studying at the hs school level, WWII was won before we dropped the atomic bombs. the japanese were ready to surrender but the USA didn't want it surrendering to Russia and be forced to create another Germany. so as the story goes, we dropped the bombs to keep the Russians (& everyone else, but us) from "conquering".
About the HS level, thing. It's a college prep class. So, yes we did learn that, but...I forget things. :/
That, though, is not considered fact because the USA is too perfect for that and would never do such a thing like that. :rollseyes:
My teacher taught us this, but not from a book, so I don't know what the rest of the country is learning from their textbooks. We have a very controversial teacher. She's actually really...different. She says "japs" and "slanty eyes" when referring to asians. She then says that she's just trying to make it realistic or some bullshit like that. Anyways...

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
oh no awaken, lol that wasn't in my college textbooks in the USA either...don't get me wrong.

one of my professors lectured on it and then also had a failry infamous guest speaker come in and unravel many school taught historically incorrect ideas with us. while another professor covered other controversial topics such as the USA never landed on the moon...the list goes on and on. college is a very liberal place unlike most hs's, you have more freedom to explore such ideas in greater depth and make your own decisions (even better is there's no grading on it-it's for fun!).

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Son in fact.. the same belittling of facts that caused the chinese to berzerk happens in the USA too.. I dont like the idea of history being harnessed for another cause, for example nationalism.
Like Hitlers germany,where science was told what to prove..