WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Chinese road test a bus that glides over moving traffic...

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Like many other countries around the world, China has had to deal with the growing problem of traffic congestion on the road. However, it has arguably experienced some of the worst traffic jams in the world, one of which stretched over 100 kilometers and took a whopping 12 days to clear.

Back in May, a conceptual design of a bus that could glide over two lanes of moving traffic was unveiled at the annual China Beijing International High-Tech Expo. The 'transit elevated bus' was originally anticipated to be able to carry over 1,000 passengers while being able to pass over vehicles on the road under two meters in height.

elevated_bus.jpg

The bus has now made the transition from concept to prototype in the form of the TEB-1 which completed its maiden road test in Qinhuangdao City. The opportunity gave engineers the chance to examine its braking systems and power consumption within a controlled environment.

While the TEB-1 has been tested in its standalone configuration, capping its capacity at 300 passengers, the final version of the bus is expected to link up an additional three cabins similar to a train. This would boost carriage capacity up to a massive 1,200 passengers, nearly 350 more passengers compared to an Airbus A380-800.

Source: NeoWin.net

Out2Lunch

☠️
Oh those Chinese, what won't they do?!

Three children per family. They won't do that at all. Nope nope nope.

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
The irony is if this really worked and reduced traffic congestion, there would really be no point but I don't think they want that, the people up top wanna look at the people beneath them, sweaty, stressed and late for work and wave as they glide over them

CoprophagousCop

Stomp out narcissism!
Premium
So you're driving along and then suddenly it gets dark and you realize you cannot take your exit ... :mad:

I am glad I don't live in China.

Motley

Hoodrat
So you're driving along and then suddenly it gets dark and you realize you cannot take your exit ... :mad:

I am glad I don't live in China.
Come to think of it...what if the bus needs to turn and your car is under it? Hope that the bus driver stays in their lane, because I've got a feeling it's going to be tricky to align your car with the bus without hitting anything.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Come to think of it...what if the bus needs to turn and your car is under it? Hope that the bus driver stays in their lane, because I've got a feeling it's going to be tricky to align your car with the bus without hitting anything.
The bus is on rails, like a train.