WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Christian fundies say 'President Bush hates Christmas'

Jung

???
Premium
What's missing from the White House Christmas card? Christmas.

This month, as in every December since he took office, President Bush sent out cards with a generic end-of-the-year message, wishing 1.4 million of his close friends and supporters a happy "holiday season."

Many people are thrilled to get a White House Christmas card, no matter what the greeting inside. But some conservative Christians are reacting as if Bush stuck coal in their stockings.

"This clearly demonstrates that the Bush administration has suffered a loss of will and that they have capitulated to the worst elements in our culture," said William A. Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

Bush "claims to be a born-again, evangelical Christian. But he sure doesn't act like one," said Joseph Farah, editor of the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily.com. "I threw out my White House card as soon as I got it."

Religious conservatives are miffed because they have been pressuring stores to advertise Christmas sales rather than "holiday specials" and urging schools to let students out for Christmas vacation rather than for "winter break." They celebrated when House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) insisted that the sparkling spectacle on the Capitol lawn should be called the Capitol Christmas Tree, not a holiday spruce.

Then along comes a generic season's greeting from the White House, paid for by the Republican National Committee. The cover art is also secular, if not humanist: It shows the presidential pets -- two dogs and a cat -- frolicking on a snowy White House lawn.

"Certainly President and Mrs. Bush, because of their faith, celebrate Christmas," said Susan Whitson, Laura Bush's press secretary. "Their cards in recent years have included best wishes for a holiday season, rather than Christmas wishes, because they are sent to people of all faiths."

That is the same rationale offered by major retailers for generic holiday catalogues, and it is accepted by groups such as the National Council of Churches. "I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards," said the council's general secretary, the Rev. Bob Edgar, a former Democratic congressman.

But the White House's explanation does not satisfy the groups -- which have grown in number in recent years -- that believe there is, in the words of the Heritage Foundation, a "war on Christmas" involving an "ever-stronger push toward a neutered 'holiday' season so that non-Christians won't be even the slightest bit offended."

One of the generals on the pro-Christmas side is Tim Wildmon, president of the American Family Association in Tupelo, Miss. "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether this is sinister -- it's the purging of Christ from Christmas -- or whether it's just political correctness run amok," he said. "I think in the case of the White House, it's just political correctness."

Wildmon does not give retailers the same benefit of the doubt. This year, he has called for a consumer boycott of Target stores because the chain issued a holiday advertising circular that did not mention Christmas. Last year, he aimed a similar boycott at Macy's Inc., which averted a repeat this December by proclaiming "Merry Christmas" in its advertising and in-store displays.

It bothers me that the White House card leaves off any reference to Jesus, while we've got Ramadan celebrations in the White House," Wildmon said. "What's going on there?"

At the Catholic League, Donohue had just announced a boycott of the Lands' End catalogue when he received his White House holiday card. True, he said, the Bushes included a verse from Psalm 28, but Psalms are in the Old Testament and do not mention Jesus' birth.

"They'd better address this, because they're no better than the retailers who have lost the will to say 'Merry Christmas,' " he said.

Donohue said that Wal-Mart, facing a threatened boycott, added a Christmas page to its Web site and fired a customer relations employee who wrote a letter linking Christmas to "Siberian shamanism." He was not mollified by a letter from Lands' End saying it "adopted the 'holiday' terminology as a way to comply with one of the basic freedoms granted to all Americans: freedom of religion."

"Ninety-six percent of Americans celebrate Christmas," Donohue said. "Spare me the diversity lecture."

Diversity has been a hallmark of White House greeting cards for some time, according to Mary Evans Seeley of Tampa, Fla., author of "Season's Greetings From the White House." The last presidential Christmas card that mentioned Christmas was in 1992. It was sent by George H.W. and Barbara Bush, parents of the current president.

Seeley said the first president to send out true Christmas cards, as opposed to signed photographs or handwritten letters, was Franklin D. Roosevelt. "Merry Christmas From the President and Mrs. Roosevelt," said his first annual card, in 1933.

Like many modern touches, the generic New Year's card was introduced to the White House by John and Jacqueline Kennedy. In 1962, they had Hallmark print 2,000 cards, of which 1,800 cards said "The President and Mrs. Kennedy Wish You a Blessed Christmas" and 200 said "With Best Wishes for a Happy New Year."

Lyndon and Lady Bird Johnson continued that tradition for a couple of years, but it required keeping track of Christian and non-Christian recipients. Beginning in 1966, they wished everyone a "Joyous Christmas," and no president has attempted the two-card trick since.

Seeley dates the politicization of the White House Christmas card to Richard M. Nixon, who increased the number of recipients tenfold, to 40,000, in his first year. The numbers since have snowballed, hitting 125,000 under Jimmy Carter, topping 400,000 under Bill Clinton and rising to more than a million under the current Bushes, with each president's political party paying the bill.

The wording, meanwhile, has often flip-flopped. Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter put "Merry Christmas" in their 1977 card and then switched to "Holiday Season" for the next three years. Ronald and Nancy Reagan, similarly, began with a "Joyous Christmas" in 1981 and 1982 but doled out generic holiday wishes from 1983 to 1988. The elder President Bush stayed in the "Merry Christmas" spirit all four years, and the Clintons opted for inclusive greetings for all of their eight years.

The current Bush has straddled the divide, offering generic greetings along with an Old Testament verse. To some religious conservatives, that makes all the difference.

"There's a verse from Scripture in it. I don't mind that at all, as long as we don't try to pretend we're not a nation under God," said the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/06/AR2005120601900.html

:rotflmao:

More evidence of the idiocy an intolerance of the religious right. And Falwell, well, he's just a douche on all accounts.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
I heard about this on the radio this morning. It's really hard to believe that some people are so insecure that they can't accept an all inclusive Happy Holidays on a card instead of Merry Christmas.

It's all about the picture on the front and the card stock anyway isn't it?:D

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
countrygrl said:
I heard about this on the radio this morning. It's really hard to believe that some people are so insecure that they can't accept an all inclusive Happy Holidays on a card instead of Merry Christmas.

It's all about the picture on the front and the card stock anyway isn't it?:D
What I find funny is that these are the same people who complain about Christmas becoming so commercialized anyway.

Ironic isn't it? They want the stores to not commercialize Christmas, so when the stores comply these folks get pissy. And let's face it, for retailers it's never for a second been about the birth of Christ. It's been about the bottom line from the very get-go.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
Hahaha, did that guy say "Put Christ back into our war planning"?!?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! OMFG!!

Last time I checked an invitation to a celebration was a thing people were glad to receive. Which is what a christmas card is supposed to represent. It seems though that somehow the message has been confused by attempting to force others into conformity.

So if you recieve a christmas card from me and it wishes you happiness and joy through christmas and the new year..file 13 is always an option. I could be PC about the whole situation, but that is not the reason why I celebrate christmas. Even though I may not agree with Bush's decisions, he still is an American citizen. He does maintain the right to freedom of religion just as the rest of us do..There will always be people in this world who judge others for not being religious enough or overly religious. I suppose they would serve the world better by making an example of themself rather than pointing accusing fingers. Anyone can make judgements; it takes real dedication to make a difference.

Jung

???
Premium
You would think most people would be happy to receive any kind of acknowledgment from the white house, especially a Christmas card. It's a sad state of affairs when people start taking offense just because their card, out of 1.4 million, doesn't reflect their specific faith. I mean come on, the obviously PC thing to do is send a 'Happy Holidays' card, so you don't offend anyone. Which is exactly what I would expect from the White House; it's only sensible and respectful. Yet some people need to twist that around just because their specific religion isn't being catered to. :rolleyes:

Christmas hasn't even been about baby Jesus for quite some time now; it's about capitalism and getting presents. Hell, even people who aren't Christian celebrate Christmas for the festivities and presents.

Some people just need to get over themselves, and their subsequent religions. I swear, some people's religious egos are just ridiculous.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Sweet

I hate religious fanatics. I hate the Bush administration. My enemies not getting along brings joy to my heart!

junglizm said:
You would think most people would be happy to receive any kind of acknowledgment from the white house, especially a Christmas card. It's a sad state of affairs when people start taking offense just because their card, out of 1.4 million, doesn't reflect their specific faith. I mean come on, the obviously PC thing to do is send a 'Happy Holidays' card, so you don't offend anyone. Which is exactly what I would expect from the White House; it's only sensible and respectful. Yet some people need to twist that around just because their specific religion isn't being catered to. :rolleyes:

Christmas hasn't even been about baby Jesus for quite some time now; it's about capitalism and getting presents. Hell, even people who aren't Christian celebrate Christmas for the festivities and presents.

Some people just need to get over themselves, and their subsequent religions. I swear, some people's religious egos are just ridiculous.
Political Correctness reminds me of a bowl of mushy oatmeal..bland..no sugar..no milk..just mush and hot water. Not everyone even likes oatmeal.

One of the things that makes this country great is that we have people from all cultures here. Everyone has different ideas and celebrations. Hey it's fun to try new things and learn about other people.

I know that as a Christian people are supposed to be leading others to Christ, but I think sometimes people can be so closed minded that they begin to think words overshadow actions. You could say Merry Christmas to people all day long, but really that is not going to make people convert. I think time on the hands of a religous person would be better well spent in an attempt at making their life an example instead of lip servicing ideals. I have seen guys out on the street wearing robes and things saying Hare Krishna..I don't though see very many Christians out on the streets talking about Jesus..besides the guy saying the end is near.

If the religous leaders of Christianity are so upset by the seclurization of Christmas then perhaps they should busy themselves with the "dirty work" and get up close and personal with the people of this nation. They should live their life so as they remain blameless..and stop worrying if the department has a holiday..correction..I mean late night Christmas sale for all your shopping needs. Or what a piece of paper says or doesn't say.

Jung

???
Premium
curliestalicia said:
Political Correctness reminds me of a bowl of mushy oatmeal..bland..no sugar..no milk..just mush and hot water. Not everyone even likes oatmeal.
I would normally agree with you, and I do think some people take political correctness way to far. However, this is not Christmas time, this is a holiday season surrounding multiple faiths, and their subsequent celebrations. So given that knowledge, it only seems sensible that a government body sending out 1.4 million cards, to people of various faiths, would make them holiday cards rather than Christmas cards. I mean what does a Jewish person want or need a Christmas card for?

This just goes to show that some people are incapable of recognizing the nuances of such things. Instead of seeing this as an act of politically correctness and respect, in which all people and faiths were recognized equally, they take this as an insult to their personal faith. I just have to laugh at that.

I think time on the hands of a religous person would be better well spent in an attempt at making their life an example instead of lip servicing ideals.
I agree, because I certainly don't want to hear the lip service.
I have seen guys out on the street wearing robes and things saying Hare Krishna..I don't though see very many Christians out on the streets talking about Jesus..besides the guy saying the end is near.
Probably because that method is fruitless. I mean, seriously, I can only imagine the 'conversion rate' of a street side prophet to be almost nil. Most people hide from the Hare Krishnas when they come to their houses, I can only imagine their resentment when they're approached on the street. Maybe it’s in Christianity's best interest to not result to street-side pandering.
If the religous leaders of Christianity are so upset by the seclurization of Christmas then perhaps they should busy themselves with the "dirty work" and get up close and personal with the people of this nation.
Personally, there is nothing I find more annoying and intrusive than being in public and being accosted with religious rhetoric. I'm all for religious freedom and freedom of speech, but don't bother my with your religious panderings. And don't walk up and use my daughter as a foot-hold into striking up a conversation with her mother and I, that disgusts me more than anything.

Anyway, that last part was just a bit of a rant. :happysad:

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Besides all that, if had sent out a card that said Merry Christmas then everybody would have gone on about how dumb he was to do that since he is sending them to people of many different faiths.

I guess he chose to take the criticism for the Happy Holidays rather than make a bunch of political enemies of the rulers of other countries for sending cards that said "merry christmas".

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
if i got a card from the bushman i'd sell it on Ebay..
we got one from bredesen, TN state governer last year, i'm pretty sure that said 'happy christmas'.. we'll get this year's sooner or later and i'll have a look at it..
doesn't bother me even as an atheist.. it's christmas after all. there was none of this confusion back in england.. the muslims have eid late in the year, the christians have christmas.. i think everyone just does whatever they want..

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
Talk about getting your panties in a bunch over nothing. Freaking ridiculous... Do Christians need to control and dominate EVERYTHING in pop culture? Hell no, but they wont stop complaining until they do.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
More evidence of the idiocy an intolerance of the religious right. And Falwell, well, he's just a douche on all accounts.
Agreed, for once. :D

Funny how America was founded on the issue of fundamental religous rights, and yet when someone tries to be accepting of all religious forms, they are ostracized by the nation. Dumb asses.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
OmegaZeto said:
Hahaha, did that guy say "Put Christ back into our war planning"?!?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! OMFG!!
Quick Zeto! Light Jesus on fire and put him in the catapult! Nothin beats a flyin' flamin' Jesus! WMD's my ass!!!